Gunbroker experiences (Read 18282 times)

mauiboi9

Re: Gunbroker experiences
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2015, 08:43:34 PM »
I have to jump on this site as well, as I have been just putting it off.  Not sure why as I have been using eBay for since '00.

Quick question, what are the preferred methods of payment that is safe?

cashiers check , money order. if paypal i seen they either add a fee or ask as gift. cc has fee to. Just made my first purchase. Something small military otis cleaning kit for my barrett. Havent found a firearm with a decent price yet. Any of you guys barrett owners out there? Why does a m99 come with a otis kit and a m82 doesnt? i should of took the otis out of the case from my m99 before i sold it lol. oh well.
Im a recoil junkie

mauidog

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2015, 09:20:02 PM »
I have to jump on this site as well, as I have been just putting it off.  Not sure why as I have been using eBay for since '00.

Quick question, what are the preferred methods of payment that is safe?

That question has different answers depending on your point of view. 

As a buyer, I prefer to use a credit card.  Even if I have to pay a small fee, it's a small price for the peace of mind it gives you.  Many auctions accept CC without adding any fees. 

Gunbroker has a fraud protection policy that pays the purchase price less a $100 deductible. That coverage requires the auction to be a fraudulent listing.  Credit cards cover you against any loss, like lost in shipping, damaged, etc. 

Credit cards also finalize the sale quickly so the gun ships sooner.  If you use a Money Order, that takes extra time to go out and purchase and mail it.  Personal checks, if accepted by the seller, take even more time to clear.  Neither of those offer the same protection as a CC.

As for PayPal, their policy prohibits the buying and selling of firearms, some firearms parts, and ammo.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpcenter/helphub/article/?solutionId=FAQ585&topicID=SECURITY_PROTECTIONS_US&m=TCI

Not only that, but I get points on my Unite Miles CC!  :)
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.   -- Jeff Cooper

one2boost

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2015, 10:01:05 PM »
Mahalos for the replies.  IMO Paypal is bogus.  I am surprised a gun friendly equivalent of Paypal has not started up yet.

mauidog

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2015, 10:16:59 PM »
Mahalos for the replies.  IMO Paypal is bogus.  I am surprised a gun friendly equivalent of Paypal has not started up yet.

Ask, and ye shall receive!  This company is trying to get funding and launch "soon":

https://guntab.com/

http://bankinnovation.net/2015/02/guntab-a-paypal-for-firearms-pulled-from-angellist/
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.   -- Jeff Cooper

one2boost

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2015, 05:19:53 AM »
Ask, and ye shall receive!  This company is trying to get funding and launch "soon":

https://guntab.com/

http://bankinnovation.net/2015/02/guntab-a-paypal-for-firearms-pulled-from-angellist/

LOL!!! Much Mahalos again.  I will be keeping an eye on this one.

s197

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2015, 08:29:37 AM »
I wouldnt pay via money order or cashiers check for large items. Pay the cc fee and consider it insurance.

I don't use Ebay but know some that sell quite a lot there and from what I've heard PayPal is very much in favor of the buyer. Just don't send as a gift.

bok88

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2015, 09:54:12 AM »
I always use CC for my piece of mind , reviews sellers feedback before bidding.Nice buying experience for me. Goodluck.

Aiea78

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Grab em by the handles
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2015, 04:58:11 PM »
I'm finding some better prices on GunsAmerica but best to check both and check the seller out very well. 

So far I've only been burned on two transactions (outside of either of the above, where I've never had any problems at all).  One was a small sale that never materialized from a private dickhead seller.   The other was a much larger purchase from a flim flam of a shop that was under Fed investigation but I was still never made whole.  (edited for nursing grudges)

Caveat Emptor. 

« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 12:40:56 AM by Aiea78 »
Assault Rifle? What I have here is an Anti-Assault Rifle.
Proud Member 2016 2a Day Dozen open holster carry crew yo

Kingkeoni

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2015, 12:24:44 AM »
I wouldnt pay via money order or cashiers check for large items. Pay the cc fee and consider it insurance.

I don't use Ebay but know some that sell quite a lot there and from what I've heard PayPal is very much in favor of the buyer. Just don't send as a gift.

PayPal is a piece of shit, anti 2nd amendment company that will kick you out permanently if they catch you buying "gun stuff"
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

mauiboi9

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2015, 08:51:22 PM »
Wow, glad to see this thread still going. On the purchases u make are the sellers up and up and charge u actual. Or they normally make profit off of the shipping. Dude charged me 13 bucks i get the package and stamped on it $5.25. WTF
Im a recoil junkie

mauidog

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2015, 09:24:22 PM »
Wow, glad to see this thread still going. On the purchases u make are the sellers up and up and charge u actual. Or they normally make profit off of the shipping. Dude charged me 13 bucks i get the package and stamped on it $5.25. WTF

Boxes, tape, packing material, gas, time ... it all costs money!

mauiboi9

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2015, 08:29:43 PM »
Boxes, tape, packing material, gas, time ... it all costs money!

It was in a flat rate box which is free. No stuffing inside and no tape needed cause the box seals itself.
Im a recoil junkie

mauidog

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2015, 09:17:01 PM »
It was in a flat rate box which is free. No stuffing inside and no tape needed cause the box seals itself.

Well then, I guess he took your $7.75 and went to McDonald's!   :geekdanc:

Gordyf

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2015, 08:36:16 AM »

A little off the topic, but Midway does this to all Hawaii shipments.
Charged me 20 bucks and change for a box that cost them $12.25 Flat rate.
When I complained, all the way to the top, was told tough shivitzki. That's the way it is. I am finished with Midway as a result. :(
All my GB transactions have been open about cost. Have never been over charged, or charged more than actual cost.
Aloha
Gordy
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 09:07:43 AM by Gordyf »
Aloha
Gordy

8gh0st8

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 👻👻👻👻👻👻
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2015, 08:03:53 PM »

:shaka:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 10:30:04 PM by 8gh0st8 »

DocMercy

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2021, 10:49:26 PM »
Seems like Gunbroker.com has sellers (with FFL) throughout the country. However, only a handful of HI FFL dealers are willing to accept a shipment from a dealer they have not dealt with before. Do you have to call around first to the local dealers here to make sure a transaction is big enough for them to charge a handling fee? One dealer who I bought a $900 weapon from last Saturday said he would handle future purchases that came from a GB seller. I wonder if they would do this for customers who never dealt with them before.

Noticed that GB has a pretty strict validation process for new buyers, requiring you to send them clear copies of the front and back of your driver's license. I guess they have their share of scammers.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2021, 11:27:48 PM »
Seems like Gunbroker.com has sellers (with FFL) throughout the country. However, only a handful of HI FFL dealers are willing to accept a shipment from a dealer they have not dealt with before. Do you have to call around first to the local dealers here to make sure a transaction is big enough for them to charge a handling fee? One dealer who I bought a $900 weapon from last Saturday said he would handle future purchases that came from a GB seller. I wonder if they would do this for customers who never dealt with them before.

Noticed that GB has a pretty strict validation process for new buyers, requiring you to send them clear copies of the front and back of your driver's license. I guess they have their share of scammers.

I don't think the amount of your purchase is relevant.  FFLs spend the same amount of labor on a $250 firearm transfer as they do a $3,000 transfer.  Each local gun store has their own pricing policy and rationales.  You're normally going to owe an FFL fee no matter what.  You should pick an FFL that's convenient to your home or work, because there's normally a 3-day right of inspection give or take.  After that, the seller can refuse a return for refund if you aren't happy with the firearm.  You should inspect the firearm as soon as the local FFL receives it, and then apply for your PTA if needed.

There are some FFLs who only wish to receive packages from other FFLs, because some out-of-state sellers cause problems by not following proper shipping guidelines and laws.

I believe every firearm order I had sent to a local FFL was shipped by an FFL.  Makes dealing across the Internet less risky, as the sending FFL can verify the firearm before you make payment.

I always use a credit card, even if there's an additional fee.  Gives me one more layer of fraud protection.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

DocMercy

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2021, 11:30:16 AM »
You should pick an FFL that's convenient to your home or work, because there's normally a 3-day right of inspection give or take.  After that, the seller can refuse a return for refund if you aren't happy with the firearm.  You should inspect the firearm as soon as the local FFL receives it, and then apply for your PTA if needed

Regarding the inspection process, who uses a borescope or other tool to do a checkout? I will be buying new (NIB) firearms to at least get a manufacturer's warranty on the item. Has any manufacturer ever refused to honor the warranty because the original dealer was not an authorized seller? How does a buyer know that he is not getting a gray market weapon?

I think it is a shame that dealer inventory is so low in Oahu, and many will not even order direct from the manufacturer due to supply problems.

pacwire

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2021, 12:27:01 PM »
Purchased mutiple guns...NO issues.  My FFL is cool....Aloha!

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2021, 02:15:50 PM »
Regarding the inspection process, who uses a borescope or other tool to do a checkout? I will be buying new (NIB) firearms to at least get a manufacturer's warranty on the item. Has any manufacturer ever refused to honor the warranty because the original dealer was not an authorized seller? How does a buyer know that he is not getting a gray market weapon?

I think it is a shame that dealer inventory is so low in Oahu, and many will not even order direct from the manufacturer due to supply problems.

Go to their websites to read the specific warranty for a firearm.

As for the dealer's status, most warranties i read don't mention it.  However, some like Remington will automatically register your firearm so warranty claims can more easily be processed.  Glock requires a card be filled out and returned within 30 days of purchase, but will also accept a dated invoice or receipt as proof of purchase date.

Sig Sauer provides a limited lifetime warranty on all firearms to the original purchaser.

Smith & Wesson only provides a 1 year warranty to the original purchaser.

I've seen someone post that KELTEC will transfer the warranty one time (second purchaser), but that's not what my KELTEC KSG manual says -- "original purchaser only".  Make sure you verify your specific warranty and don't just take the word of some random stranger on the Internet.   :geekdanc:  Warranties can and do change, so any information you get secondhand might be out of date.

If warranty coverage is a deal breaker for you, make sure you compare warranty terms between all the brands you are considering. 
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall