what kinds of food dose everyone keep on hand for emergency (Read 12583 times)

macsak

Re: what kinds of food dose everyone keep on hand for emergency
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2016, 08:26:44 AM »
Rocky, thanks for all the links and suggestions.   Might check out the LDS store for wheat, flour storage ideas.  I'm always open to new ideas in this topic and always learning.

read that katrina link
it's really eye opening

whynow?

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2016, 08:35:53 AM »
For arguments sake, lets assume we are in some situation where we are down to distilling water.  Lets say that goes a bit longer term.  Getting "tons" or a lot of seawater from point A to point B will not be easy.  If situations are that bad sitting by the ocean and distilling it and you might need some good security.  Imagine having to do that on a daily basis for hours each day.  There are many other needs to be looked at also.  In many instances, distilling is not an easy or often practical solution.

Try it out for awhile under ideal circumstances, then imagine having to do that when maybe we don't have fuel for vehicles and people are not so friendly.  Being close to a freshwater source if possible and filtration or purification is more ideal.  Of course having redundancy is not a bad thing.  I just think not everyone has a practical idea of what it takes to do things under true survival conditions.
I agree that having a freshwater source nearby is ideal so that filtration can be used effectively, but for me, no nearby streams or ponds.  I would have to rely on catching rain water or rigging something to my wall's drainage pipe.  As said I have a Sawyer filter system adapted to a 5 gal. bucket.
Also agree that redundancy is needed, which is why I also have the still.  The water source closet to me is about 2.5 mi. away with brackish water.  Also got tilaps in there.  Would use my bike to get there with my daughters old radio flyer wagon.   Dealing with unfriendlies is a ? to deal with at that time but I will be armed leaving my home.  ( I can see the AR mounted on a bike loaded with a 60 rd. pmag  :shaka:)

Rocky

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2016, 09:01:40 AM »
read that katrina link
it's really eye opening

True dat Mac.
 :wave:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

whynow?

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2016, 11:30:19 AM »
Still reading through the Katrina link and it has some stuff I never thought of like the bagging fridge items to make it easier to toss if power goes out.
One thing for us in HI is to keep 1 pair of slippers (the Longs kind, zoriis or rubbah slippas) in your BOB or car so that you can dry your feet if the shoes and socks get wet .   Don't take much space and light.
I think the author Shane is also the NukAlert guy, very knowledgeable.

newguy86

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2016, 10:02:43 PM »
Goin to do my emergency food check 2morrow and see how much i have in all, for water i got my 2 180gal aquaponic tubs, a 2 55gal nd 75gal drums of rain water, plus the river behide my house, and need be i got my 125gal nd 55gal aquarium, i have 2 mini sewyer water filter, water tabs, and water bottle type filter, alot of bamboo nd trees for fuel and alot of big pots to cook food and to boil water, can pick off the chickens nd ducks, but my just keep them for eggs,

Rocky

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2016, 08:25:18 AM »
Goin to do my emergency food check 2morrow and see how much i have in all, for water i got my 2 180gal aquaponic tubs, a 2 55gal nd 75gal drums of rain water, plus the river behide my house, and need be i got my 125gal nd 55gal aquarium, i have 2 mini sewyer water filter, water tabs, and water bottle type filter, alot of bamboo nd trees for fuel and alot of big pots to cook food and to boil water, can pick off the chickens nd ducks, but my just keep them for eggs,

Nice water collection.
I have 4) 55 "extra" water barrels if you want more.
2) white 2 blue
Posted in classified "other stuff".
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Rocky

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2016, 05:40:40 PM »
FYI...
I've got a "few" of these and their not too bad.
Shipping sucks but "Lucky you live Hawaii"

Hi Everyone,

It's been such along time since we either met you at a fair, you hosted a party, purchased products from us or were just interested in our products. We have been really blessed meeting each one of you. Since that time the company's name changed and many products have been added. We wanted to give you an opportunity to save money and spend less time in the kitchen and more time with the family. In case of any emergencies you have food in your home too.

An email was sent to you with the list of specials.Look it over because there are specials that you won't want to pass up.

You can purchase the gallon size cans or pantry size. Shipping is $2 for a pantry size can and $4 for a gallon size can. Minimum shipping is $20. You can fill out your order on the picker page and send it out Wed. Nov.23 starting at 5 a.m. Hawaii time.The regular prices will be showing but will change on Wed. First come first served. No backorders. Sale ends MST midnight on Monday.

Click here to order/prices. Everything will be on sale but the Black Friday specials will be the products discounted the most. Please make sure at the top right of the page you see my name and you are on the Hawaii website. Questions text or call.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Lucille and Paul Tomita

Thrive Life Consultants
808 387-6487
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

oldfart

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2016, 08:17:45 PM »
I mentioned this a few years ago....

Throw out old rice and bread crumbs to attract doves.
It's  like free food delivered via air mail every day.

Marinated in teriyaki sauce is wonderful.
What, Me Worry?

whynow?

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2016, 08:30:37 PM »
I mentioned this a few years ago....

Throw out old rice and bread crumbs to attract doves.
It's  like free food delivered via air mail every day.

Marinated in teriyaki sauce is wonderful.
I still have my 60's Benjamin pump .177cal. single shot rifle with plenty ammo for little critters.

oldfart

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2016, 09:40:43 PM »
I still have my 60's Benjamin pump .177cal. single shot rifle with plenty ammo for little critters.
The seals still good?
My friend works on airguns.
What, Me Worry?

whynow?

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2016, 10:13:42 PM »
The seals still good?
My friend works on airguns.
It's a Benjamin Model 310, single shot with iron sights.   Just found out it's stamped cal. BB not .177.  However I've been shooting .177 lead pellets from it over the years.  Got a small supply of BBs and .177 pointed field pelletd
No air leakage while pumping or after pumped.  Relatively loud.  Good to know your friend works on airguns if this ever acts up. 

Wave Twister

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2016, 08:21:00 AM »
Any of you can your own foods - pressure/water bath?

I'm thinking about it but haven't come across anyone who cans here locally who can speak to how their items last in the heat and all that. I was thinking of canning meats - I'm going to have some abundance eventually (hopefully) if my meat raising project comes to full speed.

By the way - good link on that Katrina blog!

London808

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2016, 09:42:23 AM »
Dehydrating,

Canning meat, Canned around 80lb Ground beef, 25lb of chicken and 25lb of pork almost at the end of it. Planning to do turkey this year along with more beef, chicken and pig. Also starting to can vegetables, hopefully if i can get my deck finished i can get my hydroponics setup and grow my own veggies as well. Canning is a lot of work. The 80lb of beef took 2 whole days to work through.

"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

davgdavg

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2016, 02:29:59 PM »
Keep canned goods and some dry goods for about three weeks for two people, much longer if you really go into survival mode and bare minimums. If its longer than that something is really, really wrong and you'd better be able to feed yourself for the long term. Having dried food is no replacement for knowledge.

Never understood why so many people stock up on food when they couldn't find water, make a fire, tie a knot, etc.