Hawaii emergency whats everyone to have 14 days of emergency supplies (Read 6739 times)

newguy86

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/06/27/hawaii-news/disaster-supply-kit-should-last-for-at-least-14-days/?HSA=acd1aeb3edf575088a26e1ce8ac6580cc73505da

Funny reading, they want 14 days, should be 3-6 weeks, the way the state runs itself they cant plan nor be ready for anything

Surf

It is not just Hawaii.  The current and most generally accepted or recognized standard is 14 days.  So yes, Hawaii is doubling their prior recommendation of 7 days to pretty much come on line with most current standards.  For those who may understand disaster situations better and who might recognize that Hawaii may have some additional challenges due to our unique situation, may also recognize that 14 days is probably not gonna cut it in a large disaster.

Inspector

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • MASS ELECTION FRAUD OCCURRED!!!
  • Referrals: 6
    • View Profile
http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/06/27/hawaii-news/disaster-supply-kit-should-last-for-at-least-14-days/?HSA=acd1aeb3edf575088a26e1ce8ac6580cc73505da

Funny reading, they want 14 days, should be 3-6 weeks, the way the state runs itself they cant plan nor be ready for anything
While I agree with you, I just want to point out that last year and prior years they said the minimum number of days was 7. So I wonder what made them change their minds to 14 days? BTW, FEMA says 3 days.

All this reminds me that I am low on food supplies this year. I have plenty water and everything else. Just low on food. Better have the wife bring us up to our normal 4 week supply. Oh, also time to refill my propane tank.
MASS ELECTION FRAUD OCCURRED!!! - 99.9% OF ALL 2A MEMBERS AGREE!!!
THE ELECTION WAS STOLEN!!! - THE EVIDENCE PROVES IT!!!
TRUMP IS THE REAL PRESIDENT!!! - BIDEN IS A FRAUD!!!
MASKS DON’T WORK!!! - THE REAL SCIENCE PROVES IT!!!!
LOCKDOWNS DON’T WORK!!! THERE IS NO SCIENTIFIC PROOF!!!

drck1000

I often wonder about complacency.  With stuff like this, tsunami, etc.  So many warnings and then nothing or minor.  People are going to start to ignore and go about their lives.  I know I have to a certain extent and have to get back into rotating my food stock and backfilling.  Especially water storage. 

That said, with family members who need regular treatments, I also have other worries.  Personally, I don't have any daily prescriptions, so I'm pretty low maintenance in that regard. 

Inspector

• View Profile
I often wonder about complacency.  With stuff like this, tsunami, etc.  So many warnings and then nothing or minor.  People are going to start to ignore and go about their lives.  I know I have to a certain extent and have to get back into rotating my food stock and backfilling.  Especially water storage. 

That said, with family members who need regular treatments, I also have other worries.  Personally, I don't have any daily prescriptions, so I'm pretty low maintenance in that regard.
I know I have not been as vigilant as I should be. But water rotation/storage gets done regularly. As do batteries and other items. It is tough for me with food because my wife will eat some of our supplies and not tell me. So in a year when I check out our supplies I find almost everything is gone! It is hard to break her of not keeping me informed.  ::) ::) ::)

drck1000

I know I have not been as vigilant as I should be. But water rotation/storage gets done regularly. As do batteries and other items. It is tough for me with food because my wife will eat some of our supplies and not tell me. So in a year when I check out our supplies I find almost everything is gone! It is hard to break her of not keeping me informed.  ::) ::) ::)
Water rotation is easy for me.  I drink some or pack some for events and buy here and there.  Sometimes I stock up more than others, but I try to keep a balance.

I also try to buy canned foods and other food supplies here and there.  I have also been sampling stuff from Mountain House and others.  I don't regularly eat that stuff. 

Maybe a 2x4 to the back of the head might help.  Or would that too harsh?  :P

London808

Water rotation is easy for me.  I drink some or pack some for events and buy here and there.  Sometimes I stock up more than others, but I try to keep a balance.

I always found water rotation a funny thing, Bottled water doesnot go bad,
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

drck1000

I always found water rotation a funny thing, Bottled water doesnot go bad,
It definitely tastes funny after a while.  Maybe where I am storing it, but I can definitely tell. 

Like anything, I always thought it best to rotate.  I actually mostly drink tap water, but when friends come over, I usually offer bottled water, so it sort of gets rotate naturally. 

zippz

I was looking into getting a Waterbob for emergency water storage.

Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Inspector

• View Profile

I also try to buy canned foods and other food supplies here and there.  I have also been sampling stuff from Mountain House and others.  I don't regularly eat that stuff. 

Maybe a 2x4 to the back of the head might help.  Or would that too harsh?  :P
A 2x4 might help. Thanks for the idea.....  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

drck1000

Re: Hawaii emergency whats everyone to have 14 days of emergency supplies
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 08:07:51 AM »
I was looking into getting a Waterbob for emergency water storage.

How are you gonna take a bath? 

Inspector

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 08:08:19 AM »
It definitely tastes funny after a while.  Maybe where I am storing it, but I can definitely tell. 

Like anything, I always thought it best to rotate.  I actually mostly drink tap water, but when friends come over, I usually offer bottled water, so it sort of gets rotate naturally.
Yes, I agree. The water gets the plastic taste after a while. At least that is what I call it. It is not bad as I store it properly. But it does seem to get that plastic taste after a while. As a matter of fact I have a bunch of bottled water I want to give away as I won't drink it due to the taste. I did drink a few bottles and BLEH!!!  ;D ;D ;D

zippz

Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

drck1000

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 08:59:06 AM »

Oh.  So you'd just fill up your tub when storm warning hits. 

zippz

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 09:02:25 AM »

Yup.  Waterbob, just fill the bag up from the faucet and it holds about 100 gallons.  Food grade plastic so it's drinkable and lasts a long time.

If you want to take a bath, get one of these camping showers.  Fill up the shower bag, put it in the sun to heat up, and shower outside.

Inspector

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2017, 09:05:34 AM »
You have plenty of time when the storm warning hits to fill the tub. Especially if someone is at home. It also works well when you have two tubs. One to fill and the other to use to take a shower/bath. I do what OF does, I fill up my green and blue trash cans and use that water to flush toilets and other uses.

London808

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2017, 09:19:12 AM »
For toilet needs the best thing to use is your Blue or green rubbish can,

Fill with water and use a small pump to pump the water to flush. It hold 70 gallons.

I use a fuel pump and a 12v battery, but there is many options.
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

London808

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2017, 09:19:59 AM »
Im also adding water gutters to my house (waiting on quotes) so that i can collect rain water and would be able to gravity feed that to my downstairs bathroom.

drck1000

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2017, 09:28:43 AM »
You have plenty of time when the storm warning hits to fill the tub. Especially if someone is at home. It also works well when you have two tubs. One to fill and the other to use to take a shower/bath. I do what OF does, I fill up my green and blue trash cans and use that water to flush toilets and other uses.
Yeah.  I got all of that.  I just somewhat blanked and envisioned him having it in there always. 

And no coffee excuse this morning.  Well, I actually didn't have any, but wasn't planning on it. 

drck1000

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2017, 09:30:10 AM »
I live in a condo, so I usually just fill up the coolers that I have for toilet and stuff like that.  I also fill up a bunch of 2L water bottles that I have in the house.  I also fill up a couple of Ziploc gallon sized bags with water and throw them in the freezer.  I usually have one in there for whenever I need more ice for coolers and stuff.