MRE question? (Read 8376 times)

mangosteenqueen

MRE question?
« on: September 28, 2017, 04:25:11 PM »
So my grandma somehow got her hands on 3 cases of MREs and she made me take 2 cases. Point is, she somehow got a bunch of MREs and she doesn't need them.

Both cases are menu A and the packaging date on one case is 6214 and the other is 8091.
According to the date conversion the 6214 is 2016 stock and the 8091 is 2008 stock but the packaging style in both cases is the older plain boring print with the small rifleman on the top lefthand corner compared to the newer MREs that I've come across where there's more design on the individual packaging (or is the variation of packaging just cosmetics and has very little to do with dating?).

Now my question is would these still be edible especially the 8091 case?

Flapp_Jackson

Re: MRE question?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 04:44:43 PM »
MREs have a shelf life of 5 years (60 months)  if stored at or below 50° F.  If stored at higher temps, the life is reduced.

If you store at room temp in Hawaii, you're probably looking at about 2 years shelf life.

So, 2008 expired in 2013.  The 2016 case is good until 2021.

The manufacture date for each case is:

6214 = 8/1/2016

8091 = 3/31/2008

« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 04:49:47 PM by Flapp_Jackson »
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

London808

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 05:14:26 PM »
MREs have a shelf life of 5 years (60 months)  if stored at or below 50° F.  If stored at higher temps, the life is reduced.

If you store at room temp in Hawaii, you're probably looking at about 2 years shelf life.

So, 2008 expired in 2013.  The 2016 case is good until 2021.

The manufacture date for each case is:

6214 = 8/1/2016

8091 = 3/31/2008

Technically the food inside the foil packs is still edible, it might just not be palatable.
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 05:26:52 PM »
Technically the food inside the foil packs is still edible, it might just not be palatable.

So, you're challenging the OP to taste-test the 2008 packets?

Anyone want to volunteer?

:rofl:
-- Melvin Udall

zippz

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 06:01:20 PM »
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

WTF?Shane

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 06:18:22 PM »

If there's jambalaya, I'd give it a try.

Edit: Nevermind. I looked it up and they stopped making them after 2006.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 06:33:30 PM by WTF?Shane »

mangosteenqueen

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 06:59:19 PM »
Well I’m sure we’ve seen Steve1989MREInfo eat some crazy mres before, and civil war crackers. I’m gonna bet that it’s edible but not very palatable. I’ll let you guys know how the 2008 case does.......if I survive it

mangosteenqueen

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 12:16:28 PM »

I decided to open up one of the 2008 ones because they're the oldest of the two cases, grabbed a random one out of the case and it was Pork Ribs.
The packaging wasnt bloated, nor were the packages inside it but it did reek a musty smell when I opened the MRE just like the box it was stored in. It looked perfectly fine with the exception of the musty smell.

The entrees were stored in their memorable boxes, so these are definitely older stock, pork ribs, tortilla wrap, clam chowder, bbq sauce, and cheese spread. Tropical punch juice powder, nut raisin mix, and a accessory packet (and of course the good ol MRE spoon and heater).
As I expected, the heater did not work at all but luckily a friend of mine had several that he's never used and gave it to me which kinda worked. The ribs were edible (they were more like a long rectangular patty) and tasted decent, the nuts and raisins, the tortilla was edible too, but to be honest I'm not a fan of clam chowder and I don't eat clam chowder often but it seemed edible. As for the rest they all looked good except the bubble gum in the accessory packet.

I found out where my grandma found these, a garage sale (lol?)
But for a 10 year old meal stored in god knows where in a house on the east side Big Island, not too bad if you don't mind eating an unheated meal.

Now it's not like I'm in the military eating these every day on deployment, it would obviously suck. I only eat these when I'm on a trip and too lazy to prepare a home made meal beforehand.
I should've taken pictures but now we wait and see how bad I have to hit the bathroom.

aieahound

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 12:33:37 PM »
Keep us posted.

I always wondered about inedible vs. not palatable.
I have a bunch that if SHTF I'll eat. (Depending on your bathroom report)
Otherwise they are barter material.

rklapp

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 02:49:13 PM »
Freshness guaranteed.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

mangosteenqueen

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 07:52:47 PM »
I'm still alive, and I haven't had a bad toilet case yet. I'll give another try from the same case probably later this week.

zippz

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 07:55:45 PM »
I'm still alive, and I haven't had a bad toilet case yet. I'll give another try from the same case probably later this week.

I call dibs on his guns.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

2ahavvaii

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 10:24:56 AM »
Those dates, and the dates on canned food are "best by" dates.  They will likely be edible for decades, however, quality, taste, and color may not be as good.  if you're looking for long "best by" dates, MREs generally are not the best.  Better are canned or dehydrated foods, vacuum sealed.  You wont get sick from them unless there's bacteria growth inside, which would be evident by bloated or bulging packaging or cans. 

mangosteenqueen

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 10:32:47 AM »
Yes I’m primarily looking out for bacteria growth, color, and package bulging. Then anything else that looks out of the ordinary for an MRE. There’s a difference between shelf life and edibility, and it’s well past the shelf life obviously

zippz

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 10:40:01 AM »
Those dates, and the dates on canned food are "best by" dates.  They will likely be edible for decades, however, quality, taste, and color may not be as good.  if you're looking for long "best by" dates, MREs generally are not the best.  Better are canned or dehydrated foods, vacuum sealed.  You wont get sick from them unless there's bacteria growth inside, which would be evident by bloated or bulging packaging or cans.

The mountain house freeze dried packages I sell have a 30 year shelf life.  Ill update this post after I try it in 30 years.

drck1000

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 11:37:58 AM »
Haha. Yeah. This thread made me check the dates and the Mountain House packets that I have are like 2040 something.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 11:42:48 AM »
Most of these emergency foods don't list an expiration date.  They give a date of manufacture, and an estimated amount of time (yrs or months) for the shelf life.

As I posted earlier, there's a direct relationship with the temperature at which you store MREs and their shelf life.  For dried foods, the number of years stated is the minimum.  It can be fine for a very long time after the shelf life has passed.  Most recommend you store in a cool, dry space away from direct sunlight.  The loser to "cellar conditions" you can get, the longer it'll be good.
-- Melvin Udall

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 11:46:00 AM »
One thing to think about -- if MREs are printed with a Julian packaging date, and if the Web is not working, how will you know what you're reading?  It would make good sense to write the date in Gregorian calendar info on the packaging, so you aren't guessing.
-- Melvin Udall

newguy86

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 01:36:49 PM »
From my past experience do not eat any with chocolate like m&m and chocolate cookies over time the chocolate turns and taste bad

London808

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2017, 05:46:39 PM »
Tonight for dinner im eating Chili, Made with 3 year old ground beef that has been sitting on my shelf since i canned it. I still have about 20 jars left.
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016