SHTF "Battle Rifle" - What Would You Choose? (Read 22364 times)

drck1000

SHTF "Battle Rifle" - What Would You Choose?
« on: June 13, 2018, 07:36:47 AM »
What would be your choice for a SHTF battle rifle?  For battle rifle, meaning something in the .308 ball-park.

Have been reading a book about life after a wide spread EMP took out power and resulted in the wide-spread decline of society and such.  Part of the story is the realization that no only does firearm ownership make a difference, but so does firearm choice.  The ownership range from the "I don't believe in guns" types, to guns for hunting and plinking, and to some hard core prepper types and even community militia.

Anyways, one of the main characters has an FAL and he has found that it has served him well in many situations and has proven an excellent rifle for him in many regards.  Both in capacity as a semi-auto as well as in caliber, which plays in to effective range.  Got me thinking about what I would want to have.  Besides my ARs, I currently only own a bolt action .308. 

While I would live something like an nice FAL or even an HK G3, I think I would go with an M1A.  I've always wanted a Springfield M1A and I think it would be a good choice.  Rugged rifle, proven performer, good capacity with mags, accurate with irons, etc.  Of course an AR10 would be on the list for me, but I've just always wanted an M1A. 

Drakiir84

Re: SHTF "Battle Rifle" - What Would You Choose?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 07:59:43 AM »
If you were making me pick a .308 it would be an FAL or HK91.
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

drck1000

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 08:06:07 AM »
If you were making me pick a .308 it would be an FAL or HK91.
Don't have to be .308.  Just something more than 5.56 and 7.62x39, at least in terms of range and "powah". 

I was thinking .308 based on ammo availability.  In the book, another character is an avid shooter and reloads.  While that's always available for stuff like 6.5 and 6.8 (and more), the characters are also finding out that volume of ammo is important. 

Drakiir84

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 08:08:11 AM »
Don't have to be .308.  Just something more than 5.56 and 7.62x39, at least in terms of range and "powah". 

I was thinking .308 based on ammo availability.  In the book, another character is an avid shooter and reloads.  While that's always available for stuff like 6.5 and 6.8 (and more), the characters are also finding out that volume of ammo is important.

"Battle rifle's" are generally .308's aren't they??  And I'd prefer the FAL over the G3/91.  Better trigger imo ;-)
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

drck1000

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 08:48:48 AM »
"Battle rifle's" are generally .308's aren't they??  And I'd prefer the FAL over the G3/91.  Better trigger imo ;-)
I was thinking .308, but you asked if you had to stick with .308.  Didn't want to limit your choices.   :thumbsup: 

While I generally think of .308 for battle rifles, I believe 30-06 and other "full powered" rifles (8 mm and others) are also considered part of that group.  Tomayto, tomahto. . .

Anyways, a friend bought a DSA FAL last year.  He initially had a couple of problems, but he got them sorted out.  I've seen the top cover end plate section fail on one FAL as SSG maybe 4-5 years ago.  Other than that, they've been awesome guns. 

I also wouldn't mind a Galil in 7.62x51. 

Drakiir84

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 10:20:57 AM »
I was thinking .308, but you asked if you had to stick with .308.  Didn't want to limit your choices.   :thumbsup: 

While I generally think of .308 for battle rifles, I believe 30-06 and other "full powered" rifles (8 mm and others) are also considered part of that group.  Tomayto, tomahto. . .

Anyways, a friend bought a DSA FAL last year.  He initially had a couple of problems, but he got them sorted out.  I've seen the top cover end plate section fail on one FAL as SSG maybe 4-5 years ago.  Other than that, they've been awesome guns. 

I also wouldn't mind a Galil in 7.62x51.

Yeah man, a Galil Ace in either 308 or 7.62x39 has been on my list for a while.  "Like an AK but better" ;-)
-Jeff Cooper

fishandshoot

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 01:10:30 PM »
 Dpms pattern LR308 not gen 2

drck1000

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 01:52:52 PM »
Dpms pattern LR308 not gen 2
That's a pretty interesting rifle.  SS bull barrel and pretty slick basic configuration. 

Optic? 

dustoff003

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 01:55:24 PM »
only picking from my collection I'd go with my PTR-91

changemyoil66

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 02:03:41 PM »
If SHTF, any firearm will do.  There will be a point where ammo will be depleted.  So what ever you have ammo for.  Since the military/PD uses 223/556 way more than 308, then 1 would assume that there will be more of those types of rounds to scavenge.   Same with 9mm.  But you never know.  You might be walking around and find a 20mm anti-tank rifle and ammo.  So then you will use that once all other choices are gone.

drck1000

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 02:04:25 PM »
only picking from my collection I'd go with my PTR-91
Excellent choice! 

And what if you didn't have to choose from your collection?  Not that you don't already have excellent choices in your collection.  Not quite that I was thinking for battle rifle for this thread, but I would love to own a Rasheed or Hakim!

dustoff003

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 04:47:43 PM »
Excellent choice! 

And what if you didn't have to choose from your collection?  Not that you don't already have excellent choices in your collection.  Not quite that I was thinking for battle rifle for this thread, but I would love to own a Rasheed or Hakim!

I have a running wanted to buy list and off of that in the battle rifle category chambered 7.62 NATO in no order I'd go with these a FAL, as you mentioned above a Galil ACE https://iwi.us/product/gar1651/, some model of M1A and possibly a Saiga rifle. Then there are these wild dreams not in 7.62 NATO Noreen Long Range Assassin in .30-06 https://onlylongrange.com/bn36x3-long-range-270-25-06-30-06/ and this big gal of a rifle in modified .45-70 https://www.phoenixweaponry.com/complete-weapons/christine.html.

Considering ammo availability, parts availability, low cost of surplus mags, after market mod parts, the ability to mount optics and the ability to convert to .22 LR, I'd stay with the PTR-91. The PTR-91 can shoot both .308 Win and 7.62 NATO, there are plenty of surplus parts and new manufactured parts to make a parts survival kit, surplus mags are usually $5 cheap as compared to FAL mags, the rifle can be modernized and modified there are a lot of parts for it and its rather modular, some rifles come with rails welded on top if not there are surplus STANAG mounts and scopes, German Military .22 LR drop in caliber conversion kit  https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/HK-G3-22-CONVERSION-KIT-30p2036.htm

Let me know which Sunday morning to bring the Egyptians and their Swedish father/grandfather for you to enjoy.

fishandshoot

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 06:56:05 PM »
That's a pretty interesting rifle.  SS bull barrel and pretty slick basic configuration. 

Optic?

Actually, it would be highly modified from the Oem configuration. Set up would be based on the urban fighting in the PI in the battle of marawi

18’’ Rainer arms barrel
SSE trigger
Suppressed
Leupold  Mark 4 high mag scope, FLIR attachment
DD freefloat rail

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 09:54:48 PM »
This has been on my short list to buy one day soon. 

Springfield Armory M1A Scout Squad

https://www.springfield-armory.com/products/m1a-scout-squad/

https://www.springfield-armory.com/m1a-series/

It's more compact than the M1/M1A, has an upgraded design, and comes in a variety of wood and polymer stocks.

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

newguy86

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 10:02:45 PM »
I just have my ruger 10/22 takedown and  walter ppq, both loads  of mags and alot of rounds for both, havent had the time to pick up another rifle

drck1000

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 07:31:12 AM »
Actually, it would be highly modified from the Oem configuration. Set up would be based on the urban fighting in the PI in the battle of marawi

18’’ Rainer arms barrel
SSE trigger
Suppressed
Leupold  Mark 4 high mag scope, FLIR attachment
DD freefloat rail
Ahh.  That list of MODs sounds pretty SHTF ready.  FLIR!!!

drck1000

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2018, 07:33:21 AM »
This has been on my short list to buy one day soon. 

Springfield Armory M1A Scout Squad

https://www.springfield-armory.com/products/m1a-scout-squad/

https://www.springfield-armory.com/m1a-series/

It's more compact than the M1/M1A, has an upgraded design, and comes in a variety of wood and polymer stocks.

I haven't looked into available M1A variants lately, but I'm down with a basic version.  Though the scout versions I think would be awesome in SHTF.  I was leaning toward a polymer stock version, but the classic wood stock always appealed to me.  If I had more $$$, I'd go with a polymer stock version with an optic and a classic wood stock version and shoot with irons. 

drck1000

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2018, 07:40:15 AM »
I just have my ruger 10/22 takedown and  walter ppq, both loads  of mags and alot of rounds for both, havent had the time to pick up another rifle
While given the context of SHTF, you gotta go with what you got. 

One line of thought for this thread was the main character in the book and his realization of firearm choices and utility pre-SHTF and during SHTF.  And building on that was the realization that many prepper type folks stocked up on 5.56 and 7.62x39 rifles, but that those who had battle rifles (.308 and the like) had some advantages in more than a few situations.  Are they essential?  I guess it depends.

The other line of thought was that gun owners often like to discuss what they would get, firearm fantasies and such.  This thread is much like that with a specific reason or scenario to add justification for getting a new gun.   ;D

drck1000

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 11:20:06 AM »
I have a running wanted to buy list and off of that in the battle rifle category chambered 7.62 NATO in no order I'd go with these a FAL, as you mentioned above a Galil ACE https://iwi.us/product/gar1651/, some model of M1A and possibly a Saiga rifle. Then there are these wild dreams not in 7.62 NATO Noreen Long Range Assassin in .30-06 https://onlylongrange.com/bn36x3-long-range-270-25-06-30-06/ and this big gal of a rifle in modified .45-70 https://www.phoenixweaponry.com/complete-weapons/christine.html.

Considering ammo availability, parts availability, low cost of surplus mags, after market mod parts, the ability to mount optics and the ability to convert to .22 LR, I'd stay with the PTR-91. The PTR-91 can shoot both .308 Win and 7.62 NATO, there are plenty of surplus parts and new manufactured parts to make a parts survival kit, surplus mags are usually $5 cheap as compared to FAL mags, the rifle can be modernized and modified there are a lot of parts for it and its rather modular, some rifles come with rails welded on top if not there are surplus STANAG mounts and scopes, German Military .22 LR drop in caliber conversion kit  https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/HK-G3-22-CONVERSION-KIT-30p2036.htm

Let me know which Sunday morning to bring the Egyptians and their Swedish father/grandfather for you to enjoy.

Ahh, yeah.  The 7.62 NATO vs .308 Win is something I forgot.  I just recall that for my Rem 700, the feedback was that generally any reputable/quality commercially produced 7.62 NATO should be safe in my Rem 700.  But didn't think about impact on a semi-auto.  IIRC, there are slight differences in pressure as well as headspace.  Anyways, another thing to consider.  I've only shot .308 Win in my Rem 700 and have never checked the headspace. 

davgdavg

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2018, 03:45:19 PM »
SHTF and for me, I want 5.56. More rounds, lighter carry, easier for all my family (women and kids I mean) to shoot accurately, should something happen to me. Also keep in mind that there is no Geneva in that scenario so any bullets are fair game. This is often overlooked. 5.56 that's not fmj will do plenty of damage, especially if keeping somebody from walking towards you is enough...

You are not going to be fighting against well armed troops. Mostly you are going to be fending off people who want your schtuff and hunting small-ish game. .308 serves no purpose in that kind of scenario where you are not actively looking to take down people from +-500 yards or hunting deer, etc. IMO.

But if it has to be .308, gimme an M1A. Never tried a SCAR17, but those look pretty reliable too.