SHTF "Battle Rifle" - What Would You Choose? (Read 22365 times)

drck1000

Re: SHTF "Battle Rifle" - What Would You Choose?
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 03:56:46 PM »
SHTF and for me, I want 5.56. More rounds, lighter carry, easier for all my family (women and kids I mean) to shoot accurately, should something happen to me. Also keep in mind that there is no Geneva in that scenario so any bullets are fair game. This is often overlooked. 5.56 that's not fmj will do plenty of damage, especially if keeping somebody from walking towards you is enough...

You are not going to be fighting against well armed troops. Mostly you are going to be fending off people who want your schtuff and hunting small-ish game. .308 serves no purpose in that kind of scenario where you are not actively looking to take down people from +-500 yards or hunting deer, etc. IMO.

But if it has to be .308, gimme an M1A. Never tried a SCAR17, but those look pretty reliable too.
I generally agree with your first para, But for this thread, the question wasn't really about best SHTF rifle, but if you had to choose a larger caliber.  Well, at least larger than 5.56. 

Good point on the different ammo types. 

I've shot the SCAR 17 quite a bit and I think it's definitely accurate, dependable and rugged.  I've seen it beat up so many optics.  I was told that it was due to the violent way that the bolt sort of jars the gun forward and down upon going back into battery.  I would think that then would apply to most semi-auto .308 rifles.  But something about that it was noticed more in the SCAR 17.  I think Mrgunsngear also had a video on the SCAR that mentioned the same thing.  Dunno the truth of the matter, but in the SSF, I've noticed that the years we had SCAR 17, the optics either worked free or started failing. 

Inspector

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2018, 10:47:03 AM »
If I have to engage for longer ranges (200-600 yards) I will choose my AR in 5.56. But if I have to become mobile and/or I am having to shoot at closer distances (100 yards or less) I really like my AR in 300 BLK.

If I have to defend my house from the minah's and the 'grets then my lightweight 10/22 would be my goto gun.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

drck1000

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2018, 10:55:31 AM »
If I have to engage for longer ranges (200-600 yards) I will choose my AR in 5.56. But if I have to become mobile and/or I am having to shoot at closer distances (100 yards or less) I really like my AR in 300 BLK.

If I have to defend my house from the minah's and the 'grets then my lightweight 10/22 would be my goto gun.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
What if you needed, or wanted, more than 5.56? And doesn’t necessarily need to be a gun that you already own.

Inspector

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2018, 02:50:04 PM »
What if you needed, or wanted, more than 5.56? And doesn’t necessarily need to be a gun that you already own.
Just saw some surplus Barrett .50 BMG semi auto for $7,500. Is that big enough?  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ren

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2018, 03:01:15 PM »
Deeds Not Words

drck1000

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2018, 08:48:10 PM »
Just saw some surplus Barrett .50 BMG semi auto for $7,500. Is that big enough?  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I was thinking >600. Not quite >1000. Haha

Inspector

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2018, 05:35:33 AM »
I was thinking >600. Not quite >1000. Haha
My favorite all time cartridge (Besides the .22 LR) is the 30’06. I know there are better and more powerful cartridges out there. So maybe a Winchester Model 70 featherweight. Or a Ruger #1. Or a Tikka T3 Superlite. Or a Browning X-Bolt. Springfield 1903A4..... Sorry, can’t decide.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

drck1000

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2018, 06:31:31 PM »
My favorite all time cartridge (Besides the .22 LR) is the 30’06. I know there are better and more powerful cartridges out there. So maybe a Winchester Model 70 featherweight. Or a Ruger #1. Or a Tikka T3 Superlite. Or a Browning X-Bolt. Springfield 1903A4..... Sorry, can’t decide.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Get one or each. Test them out head to head!  :thumbsup:

ren

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2018, 06:51:43 PM »
Get one or each. Test them out head to head!  :thumbsup:

heads
Deeds Not Words

macsak

drck1000

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2018, 07:15:58 PM »

macsak

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2018, 07:20:22 PM »
Lights out at eleven!

Wapner's on  at seven!

Bota-CS1

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2018, 09:56:45 PM »
If I could get my hands on one, probably the Galil Micro in 7.62 NATO.  Small, compact, easy to maneuver, lighter than an the ARM in 7.62NATO.  Practically speaking, I'd go with the SCAR 17S.
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

Inspector

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2018, 05:15:13 AM »
Wapner's on  at seven!
Damn, that’s an old reference to something most people here won’t understand.

drck1000

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2018, 06:48:48 AM »
If I could get my hands on one, probably the Galil Micro in 7.62 NATO.  Small, compact, easy to maneuver, lighter than an the ARM in 7.62NATO.  Practically speaking, I'd go with the SCAR 17S.
That Galil would be awesome! 

Have you shot the SCAR 17?  I've shot it here and there and it seems like a very accurate rifle.  However, I've heard reports of and also seen first hand how they seem to beat up optics that are mounted on them.  Many guess that it's the mass of the bolt that is causing the issues.  That said, it doesn't affect the iron sights.   ;D

drck1000

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2018, 06:49:34 AM »
Aren't you already in bed by 7?  Or at least having your glass of warm milk. . .  ;D

(kidding)

:rofl: :thumbsup: :geekdanc:

Inspector

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2018, 07:04:21 AM »
Aren't you already in bed by 7?  Or at least having your glass of warm milk. . .  ;D

(kidding)

:rofl: :thumbsup: :geekdanc:
In 1982 I was in a bad motorcycle accident and broke my back, 4 vertebrae in my lower back and one in my upper back. After spending quite a few weeks in the hospital and 3+ months at home I was totally bored. While I was at home recovering, the highlight of my day was getting together with some of my friends (who still lived with their parents and didn't work) at Wapner parties. Yes, we would get drunk/stoned and watch Wapner dish out his form of justice on TV. He was the BEST.  :thumbsup:  Though I have to admit I love Judge Judy as well.

stangzilla

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2018, 08:01:51 AM »

Rocky

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2018, 01:55:28 PM »
Yeah, well "Dad always lets me back the car out down the driveway" he says to his brother  8)
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

ren

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2018, 04:26:16 PM »
this thread is like the Firearms Fantasies thread
Deeds Not Words