Documentary "Fed Up" (Read 6279 times)

Rocky

Documentary "Fed Up"
« on: August 05, 2019, 10:35:39 AM »
"An examination of America's obesity epidemic and the food industry's role in aggravating it."  :grrr:

Lots of folks I dis-approve of in this documentary and the fact that I got thru it regardless shows it did have important info.
e.g.
Study with rats shows Sugar 8 x's more addictive than cocaine.
Look on any package and tell me what the RDA of sugar is.

Knew some of this already, but sources cited and their actions are scary.  :shake:  :shake:  :shake:
The time line regarding the beginning of our current health crisis (obesity, heart disease, diabetes) is more than suspicious and if true, the future will be worse.

All we got to do is clean up, stay healthy and outlive the rest.

Available on Amazon.
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

hvybarrels

Re: Documentary "Fed Up"
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 10:39:00 AM »
I thought it was about the Federal Reserve, but I guess that problem will solve itself soon enough and the obesity crisis with it
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

changemyoil66

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 12:44:44 PM »
Does high sugar and fatty diet, and no exercise lead to one being fat and unhealthy?  Yup.

But no one forced anyone to eat that way.  And with the education there is today, this life style is avoidable.  People in the US are just lazy and enabled.  Let's give a fat person a wheel chair because they're to fat to walk. 

I remember watching that show My 600lbs life.  A guys wife couldn't even get out of bed and he's feeding her fried chicken and a can of green beans.  She ate it all.  Bitch cant even get out of bed.  Giver her ass a salad with no dressing.  Again enabling.  One night they went out to a Denny's.  She had to be wheeled in with her wheel chair.  She ordered a bunch of food.  And as they were leaving, a little girl pointed at her and started to laugh.  The woman broke down in tears.  Well it's your own fault.  I have no sympathy to those who choose to live this life style.

I eat like shit.  High protein, high carb, low fat (I trim my meats).  But I do enjoy bacon and Portuguese sausage.  What enables me to eat all this rubbish, I work out 5x a week.  If I didn't burn it off, I would adjust my diet and reduce my intake.  Right now I'm on a 7K calorie diet.  4500 comes from carbs alone.  Which is why when I go on vacation, I always lose about 6-10lbs by the time I return.  When I was competing, I lost 56lbs in 12 weeks. 

It's all about motivation.  Sorry for the rant, I get triggered when people say they can't lose weight or make excuses to why they got diabetes, fat, etc...My uncle was diabetic.  For years his doc was telling him to get exercise.  He kept saying yeah, yeah yeah.  Till 1 day he decided he wanted to do a marathon.  At 1st, he couldn't even run to the end of the block.  He had to stop and walk.  But 1 day, he made it to the end of the block.  Then the next block and so on.  Fast forward to today.  He has done 4 marathons and doesn't need insulin for years now.  He can even eat dessert if he wants to.  He kicks himself in the ass for not listening to his doc all theses years.

My other good friend suffers from gout.  So bad that he can't go to work for 1-2 weeks at a time.  During high school, same thing, his doc said get exercise.  I offered to train him.  But he was to embarrassed because I would out lift him.  I told him I'll just be there for support and not even lift.  He always had an excuse.  Fast forward 10 years.  Doc told him if he keeps up his lifestyle, he's gonna take that foot from him.  This was his wake up call.  He started to go to the gym and not eat jack in the box at 1am anymore.  His gout flare ups have gone down and he needs to buy new clothes that fit his weight loss.

ren

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 02:16:47 PM »
Does high sugar and fatty diet, and no exercise lead to one being fat and unhealthy?  Yup.

But no one forced anyone to eat that way.  And with the education there is today, this life style is avoidable.  People in the US are just lazy and enabled.  Let's give a fat person a wheel chair because they're to fat to walk. 

I remember watching that show My 600lbs life.  A guys wife couldn't even get out of bed and he's feeding her fried chicken and a can of green beans.  She ate it all.  Bitch cant even get out of bed.  Giver her ass a salad with no dressing.  Again enabling.  One night they went out to a Denny's.  She had to be wheeled in with her wheel chair.  She ordered a bunch of food.  And as they were leaving, a little girl pointed at her and started to laugh.  The woman broke down in tears.  Well it's your own fault.  I have no sympathy to those who choose to live this life style.

I eat like shit.  High protein, high carb, low fat (I trim my meats).  But I do enjoy bacon and Portuguese sausage.  What enables me to eat all this rubbish, I work out 5x a week.  If I didn't burn it off, I would adjust my diet and reduce my intake.  Right now I'm on a 7K calorie diet.  4500 comes from carbs alone.  Which is why when I go on vacation, I always lose about 6-10lbs by the time I return.  When I was competing, I lost 56lbs in 12 weeks. 

It's all about motivation.  Sorry for the rant, I get triggered when people say they can't lose weight or make excuses to why they got diabetes, fat, etc...My uncle was diabetic.  For years his doc was telling him to get exercise.  He kept saying yeah, yeah yeah.  Till 1 day he decided he wanted to do a marathon.  At 1st, he couldn't even run to the end of the block.  He had to stop and walk.  But 1 day, he made it to the end of the block.  Then the next block and so on.  Fast forward to today.  He has done 4 marathons and doesn't need insulin for years now.  He can even eat dessert if he wants to.  He kicks himself in the ass for not listening to his doc all theses years.

My other good friend suffers from gout.  So bad that he can't go to work for 1-2 weeks at a time.  During high school, same thing, his doc said get exercise.  I offered to train him.  But he was to embarrassed because I would out lift him.  I told him I'll just be there for support and not even lift.  He always had an excuse.  Fast forward 10 years.  Doc told him if he keeps up his lifestyle, he's gonna take that foot from him.  This was his wake up call.  He started to go to the gym and not eat jack in the box at 1am anymore.  His gout flare ups have gone down and he needs to buy new clothes that fit his weight loss.

reminds me of all those big people at Walmart in those battery operated carts. They can walk but they stroll around in carts shopping. Walmart enables obesity. Nom Nom. Also on the topic of handicap parking stall or the use of permits by those who can walk but are just fat. They park their lifted 4x4s and hang up the blue placard. Gee if only their vehicle could perform as they physically can they would be in a Pinto.
Deeds Not Words

changemyoil66

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 09:26:34 AM »
When I was in Taiwan, I didn't see any fat people in wheel chairs.  The only people I saw in wheel chairs had fucked up legs.  I use that language because they're legs were super deformed (fucked up).  Not missing either.  Even old people walked around.  My wifes grandma used a cane and walked very slow.  It was cute to see mrs.CMO walk with her arm in arm.  Anyone who knows Mrs.CMO knows she more masuclant than femenint.  But I still show her who's boss. =P

Taiwan is not wheel chair friendly.  Stairs or ledges everywhere.  Something about the evil spirits and a ledge is a barrier from them entering.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 11:44:41 AM »
When I was in Taiwan, I didn't see any fat people in wheel chairs.  The only people I saw in wheel chairs had fucked up legs.  I use that language because they're legs were super deformed (fucked up).  Not missing either.  Even old people walked around.  My wifes grandma used a cane and walked very slow.  It was cute to see mrs.CMO walk with her arm in arm.  Anyone who knows Mrs.CMO knows she more masuclant than femenint.  But I still show her who's boss. =P

Taiwan is not wheel chair friendly.  Stairs or ledges everywhere.  Something about the evil spirits and a ledge is a barrier from them entering.

I must have been walking behind your wife and her grandma.

I seem to always be behind someone who walks like that:  --v--e--r--y    s--l--l--l--l--o--o--o--o--w--w--w--w--w
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 09:00:50 AM »
I came across this on Netflix and didn't watch it.  Same story, fat people need excuses why they're fat.

Also some 2a type documentaries also on Netflix.  But I read the reviews 1st and most say it's anti 2a propaganda.  Might look into "Right to Bear".  Reviews were pretty fair.

Rocky

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 11:50:12 AM »
I came across this on Netflix and didn't watch it.  Same story, fat people need excuses why they're fat.

Also some 2a type documentaries also on Netflix.  But I read the reviews 1st and most say it's anti 2a propaganda.  Might look into "Right to Bear".  Reviews were pretty fair.
NOT the same "fat people need excuses why they're fat."story.
Started 30 yrs ago and the affects it's had on our health.
How often did you hear about Cancer, Diabetes, GI issues etc... 35 yrs ago ?
Find out where the "Fat" in all of the now "Low Fat" products went, why there is no RDA for suger (did you find it on any package yet ?) and the truth about low calorie, low fat, sugar free and how and why it's even exists (see Obama)
Watch it then LMK what you think.
 :stopjack:
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 12:05:31 PM »
NOT the same "fat people need excuses why they're fat."story.
Started 30 yrs ago and the affects it's had on our health.
How often did you hear about Cancer, Diabetes, GI issues etc... 35 yrs ago ?
Find out where the "Fat" in all of the now "Low Fat" products went, why there is no RDA for suger (did you find it on any package yet ?) and the truth about low calorie, low fat, sugar free and how and why it's even exists (see Obama)
Watch it then LMK what you think.
 :stopjack:

I find it troubling that healthy, not processed (fresh) food products are much more expensive than the processed mass-marketed food items.  Whether it's in the supermarket or a fast food or sit-down restaurant, trying to make healthier choices requires a larger financial investment.

-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 12:51:22 PM »
I find it troubling that healthy, not processed (fresh) food products are much more expensive than the processed mass-marketed food items.  Whether it's in the supermarket or a fast food or sit-down restaurant, trying to make healthier choices requires a larger financial investment.

Why does organic veggies cost more, cause get 1 Mexican or Filipino guy fanning each lettuce so the flys don't get to it.  Vs. pesticide, no need hire one guy to fan it.

changemyoil66

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 07:57:25 PM »
11 mins in and im fed up.

People enabling and giving excuses to why people or kids are fat.

Simple excess calories equal weight gain. People think just because they go to the gym, they can eat what ever they want. I see it all the time with fatties. And they dont get a quality work out either. Like going to the range and just shooting to shoot and keep missing.

I see what these fatties have in their kitchens and feeding their kids. 1 lady has 5 diff types of cereal, low fat triscuit, peanut butter and more. How about get rid of all the snacks even low calorie ones and cereal. For breakfast eat a few eggs and maybe 1/3 of an apple. Thats it.

They think cause it says low fat or low sugar its ok. Calories are still calories.

Im on a 7500 calorie diet and bust my ass in the gym. I hate working out. I rather be doing other stuff instead. But i do it so i can pound the food and not worry.

Rant for now over. Gotta watch thr remaining hour and 35 mins.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Heavies

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 09:07:09 PM »
High Fructose Corn Syrup

changemyoil66

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 09:38:09 PM »
Finished it and its like the 2a. People blaming food companies instead of themselves. Like blaming the gun and gun companies instead of the shooter.

Yes school may have junk food for lunch, so u gotta bring home lunch. And a pb and j sandwitch on brown bread isnt healthy.

I lost 56lbs for my comp. I basically ate shoyu chicken every meal and cucumbers. Instead of sugar, i used 100% stevia which is a leaf. And i wasnt fat so losing that much weight in 12 weeks was harder because i had less fat to lose compared to someone whos 300lbs and fat. I also had protein shakes and artificial sweeteners up the wazoo. So to blame processed food is also an excuse.

My life sucked. I was always hungry. But i did what i had to to lose the weight. Sacrifised going out with friends or even to the movies cause i had to eat every 3-4 hours. Thats what these fat kids have to do. Or they will die/be sick.

Luckily every other saturday i was allowed a 8 hour refeed window of as much carbs as i wanted. But no fats. So in 8 hrs i consumed the following

10 cans aloha iced tea
4 cups rice (uncooked worth)
1 packet of somen noodles

So in the end, i stand by my previous post. Caloric deficite = weight loss. Fat people just have no motivation and want the easly way out (magic pill).

Same goes with guys who wanna pack on muscle, but cant gain wright. I tell them they need to eat more. They always say "i do eat a lot". I said eat more, not eat alot. So i ask what they ate today. Then i tell them what i ate and every time their response is "wow, thats alot". I tell them, thats why i said eat more. Cause whats a lot to you, isnt whats alot to someone whos bulking.

Rocky

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2019, 09:44:13 AM »
Finished it and its like the 2a. People blaming food companies instead of themselves. Like blaming the gun and gun companies instead of the shooter.

Yes school may have junk food for lunch, so u gotta bring home lunch. And a pb and j sandwitch on brown bread isnt healthy.

I lost 56lbs for my comp. I basically ate shoyu chicken every meal and cucumbers. Instead of sugar, i used 100% stevia which is a leaf. And i wasnt fat so losing that much weight in 12 weeks was harder because i had less fat to lose compared to someone whos 300lbs and fat. I also had protein shakes and artificial sweeteners up the wazoo. So to blame processed food is also an excuse.

My life sucked. I was always hungry. But i did what i had to to lose the weight. Sacrifised going out with friends or even to the movies cause i had to eat every 3-4 hours. Thats what these fat kids have to do. Or they will die/be sick.

Luckily every other saturday i was allowed a 8 hour refeed window of as much carbs as i wanted. But no fats. So in 8 hrs i consumed the following

10 cans aloha iced tea
4 cups rice (uncooked worth)
1 packet of somen noodles

So in the end, i stand by my previous post. Caloric deficite = weight loss. Fat people just have no motivation and want the easly way out (magic pill).

Same goes with guys who wanna pack on muscle, but cant gain wright. I tell them they need to eat more. They always say "i do eat a lot". I said eat more, not eat alot. So i ask what they ate today. Then i tell them what i ate and every time their response is "wow, thats alot". I tell them, thats why i said eat more. Cause whats a lot to you, isnt whats alot to someone whos bulking.

Nice that you watched the documentary, but I think you really missed the point.
Only your  first 2 or 3 sentences "critique"  the documentary.

Though it did follow the daily lives of a couple of kids and their families for 2 years, it also had 30 yrs of history.
It was not about blaming but EXPOSING food companies, it's industry and the government 's involvement, complacency and  policies to falsely combat childhood obesity and the overall health of American citizens..
 It shows that  everything we’ve been told about food and exercise for the past 30 years is dead wrong and has contributed to the downfall of the health of all Americans  since, as well as future.
It was more about the true harmful health affect's of Sugar. ,
   Pop Quiz,
What is the RDA of sugar ?     :geekdanc:

You're aloha iced tea" has 10 teaspoons/35 grams of sugar per can.
 You're "10 cans aloha iced tea" equals 100 teaspoons/350 grams of sugar.
For those 10 cans, you are literally consuming  12.5 oz of sugar

Franklin D. Roosevelt

changemyoil66

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2019, 10:22:51 AM »
Does a RDA of sugar matter? Do people follow RDAs for other things like fat, carbs, protein, etc... the answer is no. If youre lucky, people heard of the 2k calorie intake average.

So the film blames something again besides the individual for being fat. Again, simple caloric surplus= weight gain.

And in todays age, everyone knows to watch fats, carbs/sugars, food intake. They just igonore it and make excuses. Like tobacco. There are so much info about how its not good for your health, but people do it anyways.

"Wow im fat, maybe I should eat less".

Rocky

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2019, 01:57:34 PM »
Does a RDA of sugar matter? Do people follow RDAs for other things like fat, carbs, protein, etc... the answer is no. If youre lucky, people heard of the 2k calorie intake average.

So the film blames something again besides the individual for being fat. Again, simple caloric surplus= weight gain.

And in todays age, everyone knows to watch fats, carbs/sugars, food intake. They just igonore it and make excuses. Like tobacco. There are so much info about how its not good for your health, but people do it anyways.

"Wow im fat, maybe I should eat less".

Now I wonder if you really watched the program  :-\
Pick up any packaged/canned/processed  food and tell us what the label says is the RDA for sugar. :o
If you watched the program (and paid attention) you would already have known the answer to that question, why it is so and the food company's and government's involvement. >:D
You would also know that you can be unhealthy and "Fat" without any exterior visible signs of being "Fat" or overweight.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

changemyoil66

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2019, 02:23:10 PM »
I know there is no RDA for sugar.  But like I said above, does it matter?  The answer is no, people will still consume what they want and blame everything but themselves.  Not 1 person in that film would look at the sugar amount and say "wow, I better not eat this because I'll gain weight and it exceeds the daily allowance".  The film wants to blame sugar because there's no RDA for it.  Let's not forget there are RDA's for carbs (sugar), protein, fats, calories, which are all labeled in the food they eat.  But seem to ignore all of them, especially the calorie RDA.

You have these people in the film eating a lot of calories and wondering why they're fat.  "I swim/exercise a lot, IDK why I'm still not losing weight".  Well it's simple, because you're still eating more calories than you're burning (caloric surplus/excess=weight gain).

They don't even have to exercise, but reduce intake and still be able to lose a bunch of weight.

And yes I know there are skinny unhealthy people out there, but this film wasn't about those people.  It was about a film maker who wants to give another reason/excuse for these peoples food intake and to make money off the film.  I saw what they ate for breakfast and dinner.  A bowl of cereal is not a meal for someone who wants to lose weight.  Try 2 eggs cooked with Pam, salt and pepper for taste.  No juice, fruit, bread, cereal, oatmeal, etc...

My old coach was 1 of these skinny unhealthy people.  He watched his diet and ran 5 miles daily because he had high cholesterol.  If he didn't do both, he would have a heart attack.  His body fat is probably about 12% and he's in his 50's.  Or bodybuilders who are 4% bodyfat.  But have high cholesterol from steroid usage.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2019, 02:39:32 PM »
I know there is no RDA for sugar.  But like I said above, does it matter?  The answer is no, people will still consume what they want and blame everything but themselves.  Not 1 person in that film would look at the sugar amount and say "wow, I better not eat this because I'll gain weight and it exceeds the daily allowance".  The film wants to blame sugar because there's no RDA for it.  Let's not forget there are RDA's for carbs (sugar), protein, fats, calories, which are all labeled in the food they eat.  But seem to ignore all of them, especially the calorie RDA.

You have these people in the film eating a lot of calories and wondering why they're fat.  "I swim/exercise a lot, IDK why I'm still not losing weight".  Well it's simple, because you're still eating more calories than you're burning (caloric surplus/excess=weight gain).

They don't even have to exercise, but reduce intake and still be able to lose a bunch of weight.

And yes I know there are skinny unhealthy people out there, but this film wasn't about those people.  It was about a film maker who wants to give another reason/excuse for these peoples food intake and to make money off the film.  I saw what they ate for breakfast and dinner.  A bowl of cereal is not a meal for someone who wants to lose weight.  Try 2 eggs cooked with Pam, salt and pepper for taste.  No juice, fruit, bread, cereal, oatmeal, etc...

My old coach was 1 of these skinny unhealthy people.  He watched his diet and ran 5 miles daily because he had high cholesterol.  If he didn't do both, he would have a heart attack.  His body fat is probably about 12% and he's in his 50's.  Or bodybuilders who are 4% bodyfat.  But have high cholesterol from steroid usage.

Why is the RDA for sugar even an issue?

I think people misconstrue what "RDA" means.

Dietary Reference Intakes (DRI) is the general term for a set of reference values used to plan and assess nutrient intakes of healthy people. These values, which vary by age and gender, include:

-- Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA): average daily level of intake sufficient to meet the nutrient requirements of nearly all (97%-98%) healthy people.
-- Adequate Intake (AI): established when evidence is insufficient to develop an RDA and is set at a level assumed to ensure nutritional adequacy.
-- Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL): maximum daily intake unlikely to cause adverse health effects.

Notice RDA has change from "Daily Allowance" to "Dietary Allowance", because we've learned that no one can consume the recommended limits every day.  Now it's an "average daily allowance", meaning you could go without one day, and have twice as much as recommended the next.

As for sugar, there ARE intake guidelines available from many organizations.  RDA is not the end all-be all guidance.

According to the American Heart Association (AHA), the maximum amount of added sugars you should eat in a day are (Trusted Source):

Men: 150 calories per day (37.5 grams or 9 teaspoons)
Women: 100 calories per day (25 grams or 6 teaspoons)

To put that into perspective, one 12-oz can of Coke contains 140 calories from sugar, while a regular-sized Snickers bar contains 120 calories from sugar.

In contrast, the US dietary guidelines advise people to limit their intake to less than 10% of their daily calorie intake. For a person eating 2,000 calories per day, this would equal 50 grams of sugar, or about 12.5 teaspoons (8Trusted Source).

If you are healthy, lean and active, these seem like reasonable amounts. You’ll probably burn off these small amounts of sugar without them causing you any harm.

Getting hooked on whether an RDA for Sugar is listed on a package is useless.  If I'm a diabetic, my tolerable limit of sugar is much lower than that of a healthy person.  Same for salt if I have hypertension.
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2019, 02:54:34 PM »
That's what I've been saying, missing the RDA for sugar isn't why they're fat.  The film is looking for another reason for them to blame their weight problem on.

Weight management is very simple, people over complicate it:

Caloric surplus=weight gain
Caloric deficit= weight loss

How many times do I have people on a keto diet ask where they can buy keto strips from.  Those strips that can measure the ketones in your saliva to see if your body is running ketogenic.  Why does it matter?  Are you a professional athlete where it matters?  No you're not.  Diets go in fads.  Atkins is very similar to keto.  But in the end, its basically carbs (sugar) that are a major factor in weight loss.  Bodybuilders have done this since at least the 60's.  Low carb, high protein, add in good fats if you plateau. In 5 years, another similar diet will emerge with a new name to it.

Rocky

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2019, 03:53:02 PM »
 changemyoil66
I know there is no RDA for sugar.
Flapp_Jackson
Why is the RDA for sugar even an issue?

Please explain to us WHY there is no RDA for sugar on packaging and you will know the issue.

changemyoil66
missing the RDA for sugar isn't why they're fat.

or diabetic, or have gout or heart disease or intestinal issues etc...?

changemyoil66
The film wants to blame sugar because there's no RDA for it.

Wrong.
The film explains WHY there is no "Official" RDA for Sugar listed

Flapp_Jackson
As for sugar, there ARE intake guidelines available from many organizations.

American Heart Association (AHA) is not CDC or National Research Council Food and Nutrition Board
If you watched the documentary, in the 80's, the above government agency's declared 6 teaspoons per day, tell me why it was removed

Flapp_Jackson
To put that into perspective, one 12-oz can of Coke contains 140 calories from sugar.

To put that into perspective, there are 39 grams of sugar in a 12 oz Coca-Cola can. That's about 7.5 teaspoons.
That means changemyoil66's 10 cans aloha iced tea each week  for 12 weeks amounted to almost a full 10lb bag of sugar.  :o
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt