Poll

If you had the chance right now, would you take a covid vaccine shot?

yes
25.9%
no
74.1%
Total Members Voted

Voting closed: February 28, 2021, 10:10:49 AM

Would You Take The Vaccine? yes-no? (Read 15267 times)

oldfart

Would You Take The Vaccine? yes-no?
« on: January 29, 2021, 10:10:49 AM »
I'm supposedly in a high risk category (mid 60's) and eligible to get shot.
I'm not eager to be a guinea pig though.
What, Me Worry?

omnigun

Re: Would You Take The Vaccine? yes-no?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 10:25:07 AM »
Without a second thought.  Getting one soon myself. 

macsak

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 10:53:21 AM »
Without a second thought.  Getting one soon myself.

taking shots away from high risk seniors?

macsak

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 10:54:15 AM »
I'm supposedly in a high risk category (mid 60's) and eligible to get shot.
I'm not eager to be a guinea pig though.

millions have already been guinea pigs...

i got my second last wednesday
#notarealdoctor

Direjackalope

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 11:07:01 AM »
Yes, but I’m referring to it as “The Trump Vaccine.”

omnigun

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 11:45:55 AM »
taking shots away from high risk seniors?

Nope respecting the rollout plan I just an essential.

macsak

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 11:47:37 AM »

how much daily contact with the public do you have on the job?

drck1000

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 11:51:50 AM »
millions have already been guinea pigs...

i got my second last wednesday
#notarealdoctor
a couple of buddies got Moderna. Both decently fit and both said second shot was pretty bad for a day after. Like bad hangover.

omnigun

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 12:06:27 PM »
how much daily contact with the public do you have on the job?

Not part of 1a but 1b. 

stangzilla

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 12:15:22 PM »
I work in health care and am in group 1A
I got my 2nd shot. Pfizer. 2nd shot was worse than the first. initially pain not bad, but later that evening got bad shoulder pain and body aches and generally tired.  lasted maybe 24 hours, maybe 30 hours.  after that I was fine.  although was tired and body aches not too bad bc I was able to work the next day
heard of a few people had to call in sick for 1-2 days after getting the 2nd shot

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2021, 01:29:23 PM »

Do you drink/dope-up at work, or is this really the state of your mental condition?
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

QUIETShooter

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2021, 02:54:14 PM »
I'm retired so yeah, I would.  If I was still working I would be a bit more eager to get the shot.  Right now I'm more meh.....all I do is stay home and once a week go grocery shopping.  I no go no place.

I tell my wife to get the shot as soon as she is eligible.  She is still working so I want her to get it.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2021, 03:13:05 PM »
I think getting the vaccine is mostly safe.  There's a risk with any drug/vaccine/surgery, but I'm in a relatively high risk group.  If offered, I would take it.

Part of that is my military training.  The chance of bad things happening if you get sick outweigh the potential (unlikely) bad things that could happen from the vaccine.

However, I don't agree the vaccine should be mandated.  Fuck anyone's personal opinion on infringing on others' freedom to live and not be at risk.  There's nothing that says you have a right to be safe from other people's infections.  There's no way to 100% prevent it, so pretending we can and demanding masks and vaccines is childish as well as fascist.

My body, my choice.  If I need to wear a mask to avoid infecting people, so be it.  But making me take a shot that's untested to any effective degree is the worst thing to do.

Imagine if 20% of the vaccinated children develop autism, or 30% of the men become sterile.  How about 50% experience a drop in immune response to other diseases they didn't experience before?  Until the numbers come in over several decades, you're mandating everyone take that risk.  That's not science.  That's emotional fear and dictatorial compliance.

Reminds me of the movie Die Hard.

Big Johnson: "Figure we take out the terrorists. Lose twenty, twenty-five percent of the hostages, tops."

Little Johnson: "I can live with that."
-- Melvin Udall

funguysamurai808

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2021, 03:36:15 PM »
Took Pfizer 2nd shot as part of 1a. I was hesitant but reviewed source of truth data and justified based on my health = low risk issues. Side affects: headache, body ache, and chills after 24 hrs getting vaccinated. Recovery another 24hrs.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2021, 05:14:26 PM »
Took Pfizer 2nd shot as part of 1a. I was hesitant but reviewed source of truth data and justified based on my health = low risk issues. Side affects: headache, body ache, and chills after 24 hrs getting vaccinated. Recovery another 24hrs.

Sounds similar to the after-effects of almost every immunization I've had to one degree or another.  Sometimes it's just the swelling and soreness around the injection site.  The worst was Yellow Fever that took me Fri-Mon to feel well again.

What are common side effects of vaccines?

The most common side effects after vaccination are mild. They include:

Pain, swelling, or redness where the shot was given
Mild fever
Chills
Feeling tired
Headache
Muscle and joint aches

Fainting can also happen after any medical procedure, including vaccinations.

Keep in mind that most common side effects are a sign that your body is starting to build immunity (protection) against a disease.

Every immunization clinic I remember required me to remain in the area 15-30 minutes just in case there was a severe reaction.
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2021, 09:57:13 AM »
U can look at it this way, if there are any long term side effects, u will be too old to care as much compared to somone who is 20 now.

Younger person if worst case scenerio would be unable to live the rest of their life happily (make baby, maybe need meds for ever, etc...)

At 60, youve had a full life, so i would go for it.

Im in my 30s and wont get vaxxed unless i have to in order to travel. My wife is on the same page. She has travelled many times since this began and has been fine without a vaxxx.

#notadoctor

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

funguysamurai808

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2021, 07:35:51 PM »
I respect those who are anti-vaccine as it’s their choice and personal belief. In fact, an estimated 35% healthcare employees are hesitant themselves and have not gotten vaccinated to date.

However, there may be social consequences in the near future for those who are not vaccinated such as restriction and limited access to public and participating private entities in both physical and virtual forms. Even being flagged to existing and future employers.

There are plans evaluating the radical shift of Hawaii’s social-economic factor and recovery forecast between optimistic vs pessimistic trend.

Do your due diligence and seek source of truth data and white paper documents to make a decision vs relying on the news.

bass monkey

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2021, 02:42:26 PM »
I know a health care worker that had covid

When they asked about the vaccine they said un necessary because they had covid.

Not sure how they supposed to show their "papers" though.
A positive test result?

funguysamurai808

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2021, 10:54:03 AM »
I know a health care worker that had covid

When they asked about the vaccine they said un necessary because they had covid.

Not sure how they supposed to show their "papers" though.
A positive test result?

======

Health care workers who tested positive are monitored daily and are unable to come to work until cleared by employee health. COVID positive employees to get vaccinated is case by case basis determined by their PCP and employer guidelines that are following CDC framework.

oldfart

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2021, 11:20:26 AM »
Thanks for all the opinions and points of view.
I'm still debating with myself whether or not to get it.
At my age, I lead a rather mundane lifestyle and go to work in a secured room.
I'm well stocked on Microban, Lysol and alcohol.
Given my particular circumstances, I'm leaning towards not getting the shot yet.
What, Me Worry?