.22 lr Bolt Action - Experiences and Recommendations (Read 73307 times)

drck1000

.22 lr Bolt Action - Experiences and Recommendations
« on: August 23, 2021, 08:11:07 AM »
Looking for your experiences and recommendations on .22 lr bolt action rifle.  I've long wanted a .22 lr bolt action, or even a 10/22, but never got around to it.  When my centerfire bolt action comes in, I might as well maximize my time at HPD, so .22 lr bolt actions seems next on the list. 

I've shot Savage BA .22 lr a lot over the years.  Seems like a very solid rifle, readily available (in normal times), and very fun to shoot.  I've shot some others over the years, but none that stood out. CZ, Ruger, etc. 

Was going more research lately and read that some have issues with the Savage trigger, or something not to their liking.  I thought the Savage .22 lr BA rifle triggers were ok, or at least didn't notice anything bad about them.

Anyone who has been in the market for .22 lr BA, how available are they locally as of late?  I should run down to LGSs and check them out.  I'd want to try to buy one through a LGS as first choice, but I'm ok with ordering online. 

ren

Deeds Not Words

drck1000

ren

Re: .22 lr Bolt Action - Experiences and Recommendations
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 08:52:25 AM »
best trigger on a .22 in my opinion. Or if you can find a Win 52 or Rem 40x - they are cheaper but the best I think is Anschutz
Deeds Not Words

drck1000

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 12:12:13 PM »
best trigger on a .22 in my opinion. Or if you can find a Win 52 or Rem 40x - they are cheaper but the best I think is Anschutz
Was looking for something in the lower price range, but seeing how things "escalated" quickly with my bolt actions, I might end up in that end of the spectrum. 

A couple of friends are into .22 lr and from what they have told me the "rabbit hole" is much worse than with centerfire, which I can imagine.  Add to that I don't have much .22 lr ammo.  I should have scooped up the ammo that Inspector had falling out of his safe before he left.   ;D

changemyoil66

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 12:39:44 PM »
Got my Ruger RPRR for under $500.  Keeps up with KIDD semi autos.  And considering the price diff of $500 vs. $1200, its worth it.  The trigger is bladed, but doesn't bother me.  Mine is set up to be like a tac driver. Got 4x18 Leupold AR scope on her ($700 in the late 1990's).

IDK about availability. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 12:42:42 PM »
50 yards, no rear bag. And like 3rd time shooting the rifle. Top is CCI-SV. Bottom is GECO red box. So user is noob.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

drck1000

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 12:43:09 PM »
Got my Ruger RPRR for under $500.  Keeps up with KIDD semi autos.  And considering the price diff of $500 vs. $1200, its worth it.  The trigger is bladed, but doesn't bother me.  Mine is set up to be like a tac driver. Got 4x18 Leupold AR scope on her ($700 in the late 1990's).

IDK about availability.
The Ruger is one that kinda interests me. 

I already have a scope.  It's a Vortex PST 4-16 that came off my .308 that has been sitting around doing nothing.  Another reason that has me looking at a .22 lr bolt gun, or rifle in general.  I'd be ok with a semi-auto .22 lr, but leaning toward a bolt gun. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 12:51:15 PM »
The Ruger is one that kinda interests me. 

I already have a scope.  It's a Vortex PST 4-16 that came off my .308 that has been sitting around doing nothing.  Another reason that has me looking at a .22 lr bolt gun, or rifle in general.  I'd be ok with a semi-auto .22 lr, but leaning toward a bolt gun.

Put it this way, I want a semi auto.  Even though it's a bench gun, too lazy. The wife is currently building her KIDD 22. It's at Prime Sports right now. Need to sand inside the stock to fit the action.

LMK if you like try the RPRR.  But I will have to clorox wipe the cheap weld and stuff due to CV, so no take offense..  I will even supply 22 CCI SV ammo. AFter ammo testing, it worked the best per price.  I do have some of the good stuff, but only use when friends talking shit.  I was lucky enough to buy a case of 22 ammo just b4 covid.  So get plenty.

With the RPRR, they do make slightly more accurate barrels, but not worth the price IMO. Triggers, guys just removed the blade.  IDk about aftermarket ones, never looked into it. Just don't buy that Ruger 22 trigger that they sell. It's super mushy. The one that comes in the hard to open plastic container.

Ergo is like an AR. safety is the same area and has a rail like 1.  But not like I'm gonna put a light on it.  Some scopes might hit the rail due to the high MOA.  IIRC it's like a 30 MOA riser that's needed.  My scope works fine, no riser needed.  I was able to hit the boar metal target at the silly side easily by holding the MIL dots (about 250yards?).

drck1000

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 01:01:15 PM »
Put it this way, I want a semi auto.  Even though it's a bench gun, too lazy. The wife is currently building her KIDD 22. It's at Prime Sports right now. Need to sand inside the stock to fit the action.

LMK if you like try the RPRR.  But I will have to clorox wipe the cheap weld and stuff due to CV, so no take offense..  I will even supply 22 CCI SV ammo. AFter ammo testing, it worked the best per price.  I do have some of the good stuff, but only use when friends talking shit.  I was lucky enough to buy a case of 22 ammo just b4 covid.  So get plenty.

With the RPRR, they do make slightly more accurate barrels, but not worth the price IMO. Triggers, guys just removed the blade.  IDk about aftermarket ones, never looked into it. Just don't buy that Ruger 22 trigger that they sell. It's super mushy. The one that comes in the hard to open plastic container.

Ergo is like an AR. safety is the same area and has a rail like 1.  But not like I'm gonna put a light on it.  Some scopes might hit the rail due to the high MOA.  IIRC it's like a 30 MOA riser that's needed.  My scope works fine, no riser needed.  I was able to hit the boar metal target at the silly side easily by holding the MIL dots (about 250yards?).
Cheap weld eh?  And clorox wipe what you have to.  Safety first. . .

But seriously, my intent for .22 lr is primarily something just to have.  Not super serious into hyper accuract, at least not yet.  A big part of that is being warned many times that going down that rabbit hole will be $$$.  I mean I am ok with that, just not right now since much of my $$$ is going into bolt action centerfire.  Two guns actually. . . yeah, I bit off quite a bit there, but good to have a carrot out there. 

I also want the .22 lr as a trainer for me for things like reading the wind and such.  Also for just a fun range day plinking on the silly side, as well as many of my buddies kids are showing an interest in shooting.  So figured .22 lr a good teaching gun, as well as easier on the ammo.  I have a bunch of old range fodder that my dad collected over the years.  The "good stuff" in my ammo box are CCi mini-mags.  Beyond that, I have some pretty old Remington and random .22 lr. 

Who knows, maybe I'll get bit by the 22 bug as well. . . There are a few folks I've been following on YT that are into precision centerfire, as well as the .22 lr stuff.  In some cases, the have nicer glass on their .22 lr setups than for their centerfire. . . fawk me. . .  ;D

Ocean19

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2021, 01:05:44 PM »
Might as well go balls deep with the 22lr as well.

You can set it up so it resembles your 308 or 6.5cm rig.

https://vudoogunworks.com/action/v-22-barreled-actions/

changemyoil66

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2021, 01:09:05 PM »
For the price, the RPRR can't be beat.  HI price was just under $500 and mainland was like high $300s.  This was preCV.  Plus looks tacticool.  Scary black.

Cheap and keeps up with tac drivers .Had a guy next to me with a magpul backpack 10/22. His grouping was like shotgun at 50 yards.  IDk the power, but prob 8x at the most. Looked like 1 of those cheap scopes that came with a rifle kind.

If you do jump down the rabbit hole, then KIDD build will run you about $1100 minus scope.  Anschulz is forgetaboutit.  Or if you really wanna get serious, build a trainer in a copy like your centerfire. Get 1 guy always at the range who has a 22 cloned to his centerfire. His looks like it cost thousands.

drck1000

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2021, 01:10:52 PM »
Might as well go balls deep with the 22lr as well.

You can set it up so it resembles your 308 or 6.5cm rig.

https://vudoogunworks.com/action/v-22-barreled-actions/
Dammit. . . who asked you. . .  ;D

A few of those YTers that I mentioned above have that (or similar) trainer setup with the same chassis, and I think glass, as their centerfire rigs. . . So the same setup, just in .22 lr.  I am trying to avoid that, but maybe inevitable.  Don't fight going to the dark side. . .

Overall, I think the .308 and 6.5 will keep me well occupied.  I hope

drck1000

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2021, 01:13:44 PM »
For the price, the RPRR can't be beat.  HI price was just under $500 and mainland was like high $300s.  This was preCV.  Plus looks tacticool.  Scary black.

Cheap and keeps up with tac drivers .Had a guy next to me with a magpul backpack 10/22. His grouping was like shotgun at 50 yards.  IDk the power, but prob 8x at the most. Looked like 1 of those cheap scopes that came with a rifle kind.

If you do jump down the rabbit hole, then KIDD build will run you about $1100 minus scope.  Anschulz is forgetaboutit.  Or if you really wanna get serious, build a trainer in a copy like your centerfire. Get 1 guy always at the range who has a 22 cloned to his centerfire. His looks like it cost thousands.
Oh be quiet Mr. Cheap Weld. . .  :rofl:

When I was shopping around for the Savage, it was in the $200-250 ish range.  But that was maybe 4-5 years ago. I don't care much for tacticool. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2021, 01:24:09 PM »
Oh be quiet Mr. Cheap Weld. . .  :rofl:

I don't care much for tacticool.

Gucci Glock owner...

drck1000

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2021, 01:36:18 PM »
Gucci Glock owner...
That's not because tacticool.  Just regular cool.  8)

I forget how I got to into them.  I already had a Glock 17 ZEV slide with RMR, so I didn't "need".  I recall at one point, I said I would never spend that much for a handgun.  Obviously that was #fakenews

That said, now that I have them, I love them.  If I wasn't being distracted now by bolt action rifles, I would be looking for either a 17 or 34 Salient or Agency. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2021, 01:43:22 PM »
That's not because tacticool.  Just regular cool.  8)

I forget how I got to into them.  I already had a Glock 17 ZEV slide with RMR, so I didn't "need".  I recall at one point, I said I would never spend that much for a handgun.  Obviously that was #fakenews

That said, now that I have them, I love them.  If I wasn't being distracted now by bolt action rifles, I would be looking for either a 17 or 34 Salient or Agency.

oooo Agency's are nice. 

stangzilla

drck1000

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2021, 01:58:39 PM »
oooo Agency's are nice.
Yeah.  I've shot their older versions, and I heard that the newer production ones are even better.  They do offer a lot more options now (than before) as well, which is good and bad.  Good to have options, but bad in that too many options. 

drck1000

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2021, 02:05:00 PM »
https://ruger.com/products/americanRimfireLRT/models.html
You have one?  Like it? 

Been researching the Savage BA offerings.  I had been looking at the Mark II, which seems like starting at $249 MSRP.  They have a lot more models than I recall though.