.22 lr Bolt Action - Experiences and Recommendations (Read 74455 times)

aieahound

Re: .22 lr Bolt Action - Experiences and Recommendations
« Reply #120 on: September 24, 2021, 11:12:50 AM »
Recommendations:
A Savage or Ruger bolt gun and a dedicated PSA upper.
All for the cost of a precision gun the wind at Kokohead will wreak havoc on. (Or less.)
The Savages and Rugers shoot minute of quarter at Kokohead. 50 yds. If shooter does their part. Occasional flyer.
Seen it with my own eyes on numerous occasions.
PSA upper is accurate enough to be fun and it’s good fun. Way more accurate than I thought it’d be.
Of course it’s not a bolt, but thought I would throw that in.

drck1000

« Reply #121 on: September 24, 2021, 11:47:34 AM »
Recommendations:
A Savage or Ruger bolt gun and a dedicated PSA upper.
All for the cost of a precision gun the wind at Kokohead will wreak havoc on. (Or less.)
The Savages and Rugers shoot minute of quarter at Kokohead. 50 yds. If shooter does their part. Occasional flyer.
Seen it with my own eyes on numerous occasions.
PSA upper is accurate enough to be fun and it’s good fun. Way more accurate than I thought it’d be.
Of course it’s not a bolt, but thought I would throw that in.
I've shot many a 10/22s and say M&P15/22s at Koko Head.  They are fun and decently enough accurate for what they are.  Are they uber precision?  No, but not expecting them to be as different context, at least for me. 

aieahound

« Reply #122 on: September 24, 2021, 12:29:51 PM »
That’s why the dedicated upper is is fun.
It’s not a whole nother gun. Just something to play with while using you’re actual AR trigger.
But accurate enough that it isn’t a waste of time.
Not accurate guns suck and are no fun. IMO.
‘Cept 12 gauge. Happy I hit the stand with a slug at 50.

It’s just an add on.
Definitely went bolt gun first. (After I sold my 10/22’s … blasphemer…can hear it now. Don’t regret it a day. Souped ‘em up, shot ‘em and shipped ‘em out.) 

Currently got a Savage BVII with laminated stock and a Remington 597 with an aftermarket trigger.
Tack drivers ? I don’t know I don’t shoot that good. But my daughter could take an eye out at fifty yards with either. (CCI mini mags)
Plus the PSA dedicated upper.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 11:08:23 PM by aieahound »

changemyoil66

« Reply #123 on: September 24, 2021, 12:56:50 PM »
Just buy Anchulz. And let me try.

I got to try a $4500 over/under shotty at the skeet side. IDK if skeet or trap. Not the left to right clays, the other one.

Palms got sweaty and was telling myself, "don't drop it, don't drop it, don't drop it".

aieahound

« Reply #124 on: September 24, 2021, 12:58:39 PM »
Have to sell half my stash to buy an Anchulz.  :wacko:

drck1000

« Reply #125 on: September 24, 2021, 02:25:27 PM »
Just buy Anchulz. And let me try.

I got to try a $4500 over/under shotty at the skeet side. IDK if skeet or trap. Not the left to right clays, the other one.

Palms got sweaty and was telling myself, "don't drop it, don't drop it, don't drop it".
Wat dat?  Chinese knock-off precision rifle?   ???  :rofl:

While I don't think I would likely go that route, but I've been researching a lot more on Vudoos lately. . . but that's $2k for barreled action, another $800-1000+ for chassis, and then glass. . . in that case, likely not in the next year (or current rifle permit). . .  :(

ren

« Reply #126 on: September 24, 2021, 02:51:36 PM »
screw this into your AR upper https://compasslake.com/product-category-hide/upper-parts/22-rim-fire-kits-parts/

as accurate as my Remington 40X
Deeds Not Words

Bushido

« Reply #127 on: September 24, 2021, 09:10:21 PM »
While I don't think I would likely go that route, but I've been researching a lot more on Vudoos lately. . . but that's $2k for barreled action, another $800-1000+ for chassis, and then glass. . . in that case, likely not in the next year (or current rifle permit). . .  :(

Zermatt Arms Rim X action. Build is EXACTLY how you want it not how Vudoo thinks it should be.

I thought you said you was going budget.  :geekdanc: :geekdanc: :geekdanc: Just kidding, I warned you, the rabbit hole is deep AF. You haven't even gone done the precision 22lr ammo road yet,  ;D ;D ;D

drck1000

« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2021, 09:37:29 AM »
Zermatt Arms Rim X action. Build is EXACTLY how you want it not how Vudoo thinks it should be.

I thought you said you was going budget.  :geekdanc: :geekdanc: :geekdanc: Just kidding, I warned you, the rabbit hole is deep AF. You haven't even gone done the precision 22lr ammo road yet,  ;D ;D ;D
Hmm, I’ll have to check them out.  You mean like this:
https://teamgbt.ca/zermatt-arms-rimx/

Yeah, this started as budget/basic in the thinking that I might as well maximize my time when I have to register my bolt action rifles.  Thoughts were what I could find in stock locally when the bolt guns came in.  Still want to go that direction and use a scope that I already have that’s without a gun, but then I started looking, and reading, and watching YT. . .  ;D.

You ever been hungry and then head out to get food with no real plan.  Start off say “I’ll go get some basic Korean takeout”.  Then a buddy calls and be like “eh, let’s go check out (insert place)” that is a bit more quality, but higher price.  Then next thing you know, things are like “if we’re spending that much, might as well go Hy’s”.  ;D

Yeah, a few buddies warned me that the 22lr road is worse in many ways than centerfire.  That the ammo availability situation is limited still, is one reason I haven’t gone “full retard” as well. 

drck1000

« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2021, 10:38:05 AM »

Zermatt  :love:

First video of this guy, but a fan already. Builder and shooter. 

Bushido

« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2021, 07:40:57 PM »
Hmm, I’ll have to check them out.  You mean like this:
https://teamgbt.ca/zermatt-arms-rimx/

Yeah, this started as budget/basic in the thinking that I might as well maximize my time when I have to register my bolt action rifles.  Thoughts were what I could find in stock locally when the bolt guns came in.  Still want to go that direction and use a scope that I already have that’s without a gun, but then I started looking, and reading, and watching YT. . .  ;D.

You ever been hungry and then head out to get food with no real plan.  Start off say “I’ll go get some basic Korean takeout”.  Then a buddy calls and be like “eh, let’s go check out (insert place)” that is a bit more quality, but higher price.  Then next thing you know, things are like “if we’re spending that much, might as well go Hy’s”.  ;D

Yeah, a few buddies warned me that the 22lr road is worse in many ways than centerfire.  That the ammo availability situation is limited still, is one reason I haven’t gone “full retard” as well.

I can laugh because I've been down that road.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Actually the high end rimfire ammo is pretty available. The large majority of 22lr shooters are "plinkers". They won't buy the high end stuff no matter what. We've been able to get ammo throughout this stupid times just not as much and not at the prices we usually get. The bunch I shoot with have always had ammo

I just remembered Bergara makes a good rimfire rifle with a 700 footprint. With NRL22 blowing up in the states, there's so many rimfire options out. 

aieahound

« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2021, 08:14:56 PM »
Got two ammo cans of 22.
One with only mini mags. My staple.
And one with all kinds from Winchester white box to federal to good stuff like Aguila.
Ammo makes all the difference in the world with 22 in my opinion.
The cheap white box and federal, you can literally wobble the head on the cartridge, half of it’s set so loose.

I’ll generally blow the crap stuff up on the silly side plinking.

Depends what your particular gun likes to eat though.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 08:23:45 PM by aieahound »

808Hunta

« Reply #132 on: September 26, 2021, 06:38:20 AM »

Zermatt  :love:

First video of this guy, but a fan already. Builder and shooter.
I like the woox stocks/chassis handles nice n fit n finish is great also. Reasonably priced as well

Nice build!  There goes the money pit lol

drck1000

« Reply #133 on: September 26, 2021, 10:24:42 AM »
I can laugh because I've been down that road.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Actually the high end rimfire ammo is pretty available. The large majority of 22lr shooters are "plinkers". They won't buy the high end stuff no matter what. We've been able to get ammo throughout this stupid times just not as much and not at the prices we usually get. The bunch I shoot with have always had ammo

I just remembered Bergara makes a good rimfire rifle with a 700 footprint. With NRL22 blowing up in the states, there's so many rimfire options out.
Hmm, maybe have to get more info on the 22 ammo thing.  If I go toward the higher end 22 rifle route, I’ll probably wait until next spring/summer, which aligns with wrapping up what is keeping me super busy.  That timing will also let me recover from my adventures in centerfire bolt action.  Haha

drck1000

« Reply #134 on: September 26, 2021, 10:26:50 AM »
Got two ammo cans of 22.
One with only mini mags. My staple.
And one with all kinds from Winchester white box to federal to good stuff like Aguila.
Ammo makes all the difference in the world with 22 in my opinion.
The cheap white box and federal, you can literally wobble the head on the cartridge, half of it’s set so loose.

I’ll generally blow the crap stuff up on the silly side plinking.

Depends what your particular gun likes to eat though.
I have definitely noticed the range of 22 ammo quality for the crappy bulk to medium range.  I’ve given away boxes of the Federal Champion blue box.  That said, I’m pretty sure I’m not going the semi-auto route, hence the “bolt action” part of the title.   ;D

drck1000

« Reply #135 on: September 26, 2021, 10:29:49 AM »
I like the woox stocks/chassis handles nice n fit n finish is great also. Reasonably priced as well

Nice build!  There goes the money pit lol
That video was the first I’ve heard about Woox.  They look pretty awesome.  If I go the custom action route, I’ll have to decide to stick with the MPA line, for consistency with my centerfire.  Or use that to try other chassis.  I was considering KRG for the .308, but ended up going with a slightly different MPA chassis.  Decided to not introduce another variable, at least for that gun.  Still have the 6.5 CM to consider, or move the MPA from my current .308 to the 6.5 CM and try another chassis for the “older” .308.  So many options, so limited $$$.   :rofl:

Akubone1

« Reply #136 on: September 26, 2021, 01:28:45 PM »
22 precision shooting sounds fun.  Who’s actually selling 22 match ammo theses days.  Haven’t seen that stuff around since covid.  Do you need to special order from the mainland?

aieahound

« Reply #137 on: September 26, 2021, 05:24:27 PM »
I have definitely noticed the range of 22 ammo quality for the crappy bulk to medium range.  I’ve given away boxes of the Federal Champion blue box.  That said, I’m pretty sure I’m not going the semi-auto route, hence the “bolt action” part of the title.   ;D

Yeah. I didn’t mean semi auto. Although mini mag is all my semi autos run reliably run on.
22 rabbit hole. I still also recommend the dedicated upper and a S&W M&P22 pistol to round it out after the bolt gun.

My friend got the Ruger Precision Rimfire that will kinda eat anything accurately. At least the Federal crap.
Not sure tried white box though.
My bolt. She no like the white box or the Federal bulk.
She’ll shoot ‘em but doesn’t like ‘em.
The mini mags work consistently and the aguila have been good.

PM Inspector. He’ll know every brand and what not about 22 ammo.
I miss Inspector Dave.  :( 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 05:32:08 PM by aieahound »

drck1000

« Reply #138 on: September 26, 2021, 06:58:40 PM »
Yeah. I didn’t mean semi auto. Although mini mag is all my semi autos run reliably run on.
22 rabbit hole. I still also recommend the dedicated upper and a S&W M&P22 pistol to round it out after the bolt gun.

My friend got the Ruger Precision Rimfire that will kinda eat anything accurately. At least the Federal crap.
Not sure tried white box though.
My bolt. She no like the white box or the Federal bulk.
She’ll shoot ‘em but doesn’t like ‘em.
The mini mags work consistently and the aguila have been good.

PM Inspector. He’ll know every brand and what not about 22 ammo.
I miss Inspector Dave.  :(
Thanks for the input. . . I already have 22 pistols covered, including a M&P 22.  No real desire for a 22 semi-auto rifle. 

I used to text that old fogie once in a while.  Used to chat with him here and there, especially shooting stuff.  I have a High Standard 22 pistol that he says he has dibs on, if I ever sold.  IF. . . which reminds me, I probably should text to check in on him and see how he's doing. 

Bushido

« Reply #139 on: September 26, 2021, 08:37:09 PM »
Hmm, maybe have to get more info on the 22 ammo thing.  If I go toward the higher end 22 rifle route, I’ll probably wait until next spring/summer, which aligns with wrapping up what is keeping me super busy.  That timing will also let me recover from my adventures in centerfire bolt action.  Haha

I will catch a lot of chit for this but.... "Accuracy" is 100% relative. I use this analogy very often,  if you bought a Lamborghini, would you buy your tires from Walmart? Spark plugs from Costco? If you buy or build a high end 22lr rifle, there's NOTHING better than the higher lines of Eley, Lapua and RWS. It depends what your chamber is cut for and what your barrel prefers.  Nothing else will even come close. Many can shoot occasional clover leaf groups at 50y, what are they doing consistently at 100y? I have some very small KYL targets if anyone is willing to prove me wrong.