Bolt action Triggers (Read 1588 times)

Ocean19

Bolt action Triggers
« on: September 01, 2021, 11:26:37 PM »
What type of bolt action triggers is everyone using and why do you like it?

I tried a TT special flat shoe and it seems pretty good but wanted  something between the flat shoe and the pro curve.

I also tried the Gisselle 2 stage but that felt too mushy, almost sponge like. Didn’t really care for that sponge like take up, but that’s just me.

Any one have experience with a jewel trigger? 

drck1000

Re: Bolt action Triggers
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 07:33:51 AM »
I have the TT Special 2-stage in my current bolt gun.  Previous to that was stock Rem 700 trigger (recall one) and then the Geissele set at 1-stage.  I didn't like the Geissele, but I didn't play around with the settings that much.  The gunsmith who spruced up my 700 set it at 1-stage (I forgot to tell him my preference).  I thought it was a crisp trigger, but inconsistent.  While single stage, it sometimes had a slight creep/give/mush/whatever. 

For the TT Special, it's still kind of new.  Maybe 100 rounds.  I like it, but still getting used to it a little.  I went with TT Diamond pro curve for the .308.  I was thinking about Bix N Andy or another one but I can't recall the name right now, but it was a foreign sounding name, maybe Italian.  Overall, I want to stick with one and get used to it and not jump around much. 

dv808

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 08:52:42 AM »
Single stage for me.  Timney, Jewel, Trigger Tech..  My old bolt-actions all came that way so I'm used to it.

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk

drck1000

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 07:03:38 AM »
Single stage for me.  Timney, Jewel, Trigger Tech..  My old bolt-actions all came that way so I'm used to it.

Of those three, your thoughts between them?  I have heard good things about them and pricing range is decent.  I know many folks who have Timney, but haven't tried them.  I heard their Glock triggers are quite popular, but that's a much different story.

I'm always interested in direct comparisons of products, but I can have only so many guns.   :( haha

Are you bolt actions for target shooting?  Plinking or just to have?  Hunting?  Intended application gives great context. 

drck1000

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 09:54:04 AM »
Mile High Shooting has 20% off TT until Sept 6. 

dv808

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 02:31:47 PM »

Of those three, your thoughts between them?  I have heard good things about them and pricing range is decent.  I know many folks who have Timney, but haven't tried them.  I heard their Glock triggers are quite popular, but that's a much different story.

I'm always interested in direct comparisons of products, but I can have only so many guns.   :( haha

Are you bolt actions for target shooting?  Plinking or just to have?  Hunting?  Intended application gives great context.

I've tried all and I went with Timney.  My stuff is geared mostly for hunting and I like the range of products and pricing from Timney.  I've got some older bolt-actions with non-replaceable triggers so I didn't want to have mix of single and 2-stage triggers.  Plus I was used to the single stage from hunting when I was younger.  Whatever I could replace with a Timney, I did.  I didn't know they made a Glock trigger.  Now I may have to get those.  Lol.

Ocean19

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2021, 03:55:47 AM »

I've tried all and I went with Timney.  My stuff is geared mostly for hunting and I like the range of products and pricing from Timney.  I've got some older bolt-actions with non-replaceable triggers so I didn't want to have mix of single and 2-stage triggers.  Plus I was used to the single stage from hunting when I was younger.  Whatever I could replace with a Timney, I did.  I didn't know they made a Glock trigger.  Now I may have to get those.  Lol.

What did you like about the Timney triggers?

dv808

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2021, 08:39:41 AM »
What did you like about the Timney triggers?
Mainly price and they offer triggers for most of my platforms in single stage which I prefer.  My bolt actions are all Winchester's.  My friend has a Jewell in his and it feels good.  It is around double the cost of the Timney.  I don't think Trigger Tech has a version for the Win M70.  I've replaced triggers mainly to get the pull weight down.  My preference is about 3.5# and some of my stock Win triggers were about 5-6# as I try to keep my pull weights no more than half the rifle weight.  I also use the Timney in an AR and Ruger 10/22.

Nothing wrong with the other two.  Just felt I'd keep all the triggers with one brand since they were available.  IMO all of them are better than stock but the pre-64 Win trigger is tough to beat with just a lighter trigger spring.

astroboy

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2021, 09:58:40 AM »
I have had good results with Timney triggers. The only problem I had with a Timney product was with
a Ruger 77 trigger. All of the other Timney products worked great. 

drck1000

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2021, 10:27:52 AM »

On the Glock trigger for Timney. A shooting buddy has one, and he really likes it. I haven’t shot with it yet tho. I’ve heard good things about the Timney Glock triggers from a few really good shooters as well.

Good point on mixing of triggers. I’m the same way, or at least am now. Gone full circle sticking with OEM triggers, to trying all sorts, to back to one type. That’s applies to bolt action, as well as stuff like ARs, and handguns.

808Hunta

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2021, 05:55:15 PM »
What type of bolt action triggers is everyone using and why do you like it?

I tried a TT special flat shoe and it seems pretty good but wanted  something between the flat shoe and the pro curve.

I also tried the Gisselle 2 stage but that felt too mushy, almost sponge like. Didn’t really care for that sponge like take up, but that’s just me.

Any one have experience with a jewel trigger?

I have or have had these after market triggers jewell BR, HVR,timney CE, 510, TT most of them, Huber, jard, rifle basix, bix n andy Dakota, tacsport & tacsport pro.  All our bolt actions are primarily hunting first and foremost. We have shot friendly target shoots etc with some but nothing competitive. We also plink with a few as well lol.

Of all of them we used jewell the most and longest. They are great triggers as is most of them for their designed purpose. I feel some of it does come down to personal preference.  I prefer single stage others two stage triggers etc. I like to be able to adjust triggers while installed in the stock.

Back in the 80's we did have one jewel freeze up on a bull tahr hunt. Moisture got in the trigger housing and froze up. We carried ronsonol lighter fluid to flush them out per the recommendation of the trigger designer. If you look up most of them as in anything mechanical they all can have issues.

The only trigger l dont have trigger time with is the BnA triggers. Got them for some builds that were put on hold due to covid. Having different sear heights is great with the ARC Mausingfield actions. Having the ability to change out the trigger shoes is to some worthwhile in itself.

Some of these newer triggers was designed to help keep out moisture and dirt to allow them to run in very unforgiving climates. That may cause issues with other trigger designs.  I'd say if your using it mainly as a bench gun etc then take your pick. If running comps like PRS then TT or BnA due to a more sealed nature of the trigger. Less cleaning or failures due to dust,crud build up etc.

What action? This would help a lot guess should've got that out of the way from the start. As some have already said some triggers are only available in some actions etc.