Long gun PTA renewal (Read 1464 times)

MrJones

Long gun PTA renewal
« on: September 12, 2021, 02:58:32 PM »
What is the earliest I can renew my long gun PTA? Also what forms do I need to fill out again?

Thanks

Dr Jones

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Long gun PTA renewal
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 03:19:33 PM »
What is the earliest I can renew my long gun PTA? Also what forms do I need to fill out again?

Thanks

Dr Jones

Since there's a 2-week wait, you can submit the application for renewal 2 weeks before the current permit expiration date.  HPD will want the old permit when you pick up the new one.

Forms are the same whether it's for a new or renewed permit.  If you paid the RAPBACK and fingerprinting fees last time, you won't owe that again.

I hadn't renewed for a few years since RapBack was enacted, so I had to pay the fees when I renewed my long gun permit this year.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

MrJones

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 05:38:46 PM »
Awesome

Thanks

Dr Jones

Direjackalope

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 06:56:25 PM »
Do they reissue if you lose your permit or do they make you go through the whole process again?

aaronc5362

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 07:54:46 PM »
Whole process again I believe. I also remember when I was waiting in line... A guy had to fill out a police report cause he lost his long gun permit. So that took some time.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 08:16:30 PM »
Whole process again I believe. I also remember when I was waiting in line... A guy had to fill out a police report cause he lost his long gun permit. So that took some time.

HPD is very controlling when it comes to long gun permits.  They don't tolerate you having more than one valid permit at any given time.  That's why you can't apply to renew until you're within 2 weeks of your current permit expiring.  The police report for a lost form is to make sure you're telling the truth that the permit is really lost.

If you can't find it, I'd spend a couple of hours searching .... and then do it again.  Might be easier than going through the process and reporting it lost.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Direjackalope

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 08:48:20 PM »
Very nice. Thanks, boys. Modern problems require modern solutions.

Motorman

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2021, 10:20:18 PM »
HPD doesn’t care if your old, expired permit is lost. HPD needs a police report if the long-gun permit was still valid when you’re applying for a new one or registering guns to picked up with the lost permit.

jd0210

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 01:09:15 PM »
are renewals treated the same as new pta's when standing in line?

stangzilla

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 01:25:25 PM »
are renewals treated the same as new pta's when standing in line?

yes

jd0210

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 01:29:35 PM »
that sucks

QUIETShooter

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 02:11:48 PM »
that sucks

Yes.  It does.

Renewal is in a way misleading.  You're actually applying again as if you've never applied before.  You still gotta fill out all the forms like you did the last time.

And you still gotta wait 2 weeks.

Only difference is you don't have to do the fingerprint bullshit and pay the rapback fee for the privilege of being put on the criminal list if you did it the last time, lol!  Once you're on that list, you're good to go.  Forever and ever.  (Isn't that wonderful.......) :D
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

drck1000

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2021, 02:29:44 PM »
Yup on renewal. 

Anyways, makes me "maximize" the times when I do register guns.  More the merrier, right?   ;D