Hurricane Season 2018 (Read 47608 times)

Drakiir84

Re: Hurricane Season 2018
« Reply #160 on: August 29, 2018, 08:39:03 AM »
I have a water bob.  great for disaster prep.  holds up to 100 gallons.   :thumbsup:

I also have a brita pitcher and spare filters.  after doing many plumbing jobs around the house and seeing the inside of the pipes, I will always filter the water.  the inside of the pipes are disgusting!  theres rust, brown crap.  I can just imagine what the inside of the main water pipes look like. water may be safe to drink, but I'd rather filter out all the crap that gets stuck in the pipes.

Yeah man, Brita is life.
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

oldfart

« Reply #161 on: August 29, 2018, 08:51:57 AM »
If your water came from the tap and is safe to drink, you really don't need to boil it.  Hopefully the city already makes the water drinkable when you turn on the faucet.  :shake:

=================
 In Waipahu, the tap water is horrible.
 It corrodes or stains the fixtures, leaves spots on your car and does not do a very good job on plants or grass.
 Case in point, my yard was all brown and even after I water it with the faucet, it does not change much.
 But a day of rainwater and all of a sudden everything turns green.
 I do not drink the tap water in Waipahu. :grrr:
What, Me Worry?

2ahavvaii

« Reply #162 on: August 29, 2018, 08:55:17 AM »
be careful with the waterbobs, supposed to be 1x use only (probably ok if you dry it out well after usage)

there's been numerous reports of them leaking and not holding water as well.  Those things are pretty cool and relatively inexpensive, but it's too bad they didn't build them to be more reliable.  Cool to have in an emergency, but I would not bet the farm on it being there for you.
---------------------------------

https://www.amazon.com/WaterBOB-Emergency-Container-Drinking-Hurricane/product-reviews/B001AXLUX2/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar
Pulled this brand new item out of the box to fill it in preparation for Hurricane Irma and there is rip right up the crease. It won't hold water at all. When I need it the most, 24 hours from the hurricane, this item was a complete failure. I don't know how the company will react when I try to return it but I know I relied on it and I shouldn't have.

We bought this in preparation for Hurricane Matthew, unfortunately the hurricane is about to hit and the product has a whole and is leaking. Hope we don't loose access to drinking water because this was our water source since water was sold out in our are.

Wanted to use this product for Hurricane Matthew last week, thought I was smart having this on hand. This product really let me down, as the 'filling sock' plastic was extremely thin and flimsy and the seams of it were not closed as they should have been, so unable to fill the water storage container and did not have the back-up water supply I counted on.

trying to prepare for hurricane irma expecting no electricity or water for days to weeks. Tried to fill the water bob and the "sock" part that you need to attached to the bath tub spout has holes in it.

Used for hurricane Irma prep and aftermath with no power. The fill tube leaked all up and down the seam and it took forever to fill. The siphon also fell apart many times getting water and would not gravity flow. Good idea, wound up using the water in the days after but terrible quality control for a one time use item. Didn't need the added stress.

Drakiir84

« Reply #163 on: August 29, 2018, 09:29:12 AM »
be careful with the waterbobs, supposed to be 1x use only (probably ok if you dry it out well after usage)

there's been numerous reports of them leaking and not holding water as well.  Those things are pretty cool and relatively inexpensive, but it's too bad they didn't build them to be more reliable.  Cool to have in an emergency, but I would not bet the farm on it being there for you.
---------------------------------

https://www.amazon.com/WaterBOB-Emergency-Container-Drinking-Hurricane/product-reviews/B001AXLUX2/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar
Pulled this brand new item out of the box to fill it in preparation for Hurricane Irma and there is rip right up the crease. It won't hold water at all. When I need it the most, 24 hours from the hurricane, this item was a complete failure. I don't know how the company will react when I try to return it but I know I relied on it and I shouldn't have.

We bought this in preparation for Hurricane Matthew, unfortunately the hurricane is about to hit and the product has a whole and is leaking. Hope we don't loose access to drinking water because this was our water source since water was sold out in our are.

Wanted to use this product for Hurricane Matthew last week, thought I was smart having this on hand. This product really let me down, as the 'filling sock' plastic was extremely thin and flimsy and the seams of it were not closed as they should have been, so unable to fill the water storage container and did not have the back-up water supply I counted on.

trying to prepare for hurricane irma expecting no electricity or water for days to weeks. Tried to fill the water bob and the "sock" part that you need to attached to the bath tub spout has holes in it.

Used for hurricane Irma prep and aftermath with no power. The fill tube leaked all up and down the seam and it took forever to fill. The siphon also fell apart many times getting water and would not gravity flow. Good idea, wound up using the water in the days after but terrible quality control for a one time use item. Didn't need the added stress.

As with all emergency supplies, they should be inspected upon purchase and before use.  You can definitely re-use.  Dry out thoroughly and store in an air tight container with a desiccant. 
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

stangzilla

« Reply #164 on: August 29, 2018, 09:41:37 AM »
good to know about checking the water bob to see if it is in working order

I also had a solar radio with cell phone charger.  the kind you can either charge by solar, or hand crank, or plug in.
early last week I tried charging the battery to get it ready and test it out. turns out the battery wouldn't charge, and could not catch any radio station.  so I threw that in the trash.

2ahavvaii

« Reply #165 on: August 29, 2018, 09:59:10 AM »
good to know about checking the water bob to see if it is in working order

I also had a solar radio with cell phone charger.  the kind you can either charge by solar, or hand crank, or plug in.
early last week I tried charging the battery to get it ready and test it out. turns out the battery wouldn't charge, and could not catch any radio station.  so I threw that in the trash.

For the waterbob, if you can identify a leak early, I'm pretty sure patching it with duct tape would hold in a pinch.  The bob will expand so its pushing against the tub, also helping to make sure the leak is contained.  But yeah, just my worthless 0.02

Funny, the same thing happened with one of my solar emergency radios.  Except that mine still works off regular batteries and wall power.    The issue with some of these radios long term is the rechargable batteries don't last forever, I am just lucky mine also takes regular batteries and a/c power.

Rocky

« Reply #166 on: August 29, 2018, 10:40:58 AM »
    55gal bbl is the way to go, had ours for years.   :thumbsup:
We prep (bleach out) and rotate the water in our 2) "main" 55 gal bbl's every 6 months (water garden) and there is always 2) 5 gal. containers in the house (also prepped and refilled every 6 months).
     Impending doom (last week) we prep and fill at least one of our 4 extra bbl's.

Since HRA "rebuilt" our city's water lines, failures are ridiculously regular events.
Seems the supplier that provided the T' and unions used for every house were faulty so they fail all the time
   SURPRISE !   :o No water, at least for those who do not prep.  :P
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

zippz

« Reply #167 on: August 29, 2018, 07:11:33 PM »
=================
 It corrodes or stains the fixtures, leaves spots on your car and does not do a very good job on plants or grass.
 Case in point, my yard was all brown and even after I water it with the faucet, it does not change much.

No worries, probably just the DDT in the water.

I got a filter and a steripen so I can grab water from the stream, pick out the talapia, filter, and sanitize if I run out of my water supply which should last me about 3 to 4 weeks.

Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

mrgaf

« Reply #168 on: August 30, 2018, 06:43:37 PM »
=================

Mililani water is crap also....and poisonous....
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #169 on: August 30, 2018, 11:02:13 PM »
Mililani water is crap also....and poisonous....

Being in Mililani since 1993, I can say the water won't kill you, but it sure isn't the best tasting tap water I've ever used, either.

I use a Britta filtered jug for my Keurig, and fridge filtered water for drinking & ice.  If I need to add water for cooking, I use the filtered water.  I think the only regular use for non-filtered water is laundry, showers, and my dog's bowl (any animal that is okay with drinking from a toilet can't be that picky).

I also keep a dozen 14 oz bottles chilled, and cases stockpiled.

I read the water quality reports when they are sent out.  I don't know who sets the standards, but they must have subsidized Menehune water delivery.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #170 on: August 31, 2018, 12:38:32 PM »
Really want to see what kind of stuff is in our public water distribution system?  Try witnessing when they pig the lines, or send this large bullet shaped foam/sponge/whatevertheyusenowadays thing into the pipe.  That said, I still drink tap water.  I used to use Britas when I live in WA, but that was more for the taste.  I should filter water here, but just haven't done so.  :kickcan:

zippz

« Reply #171 on: September 06, 2018, 05:28:16 PM »
Round 2...Fight.  Olivia is homing in.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #172 on: September 06, 2018, 05:35:43 PM »
Round 2...Fight.  Olivia is homing in...

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

2ahavvaii

« Reply #173 on: September 07, 2018, 05:22:24 AM »
mostly need to pray that it weakens enough before getting here.  the track it's taking is somewhat of an unusual one in that it's approaching from the north AND the prevailing tradewind are in effect.  In effect, the trade winds is blowing the hurricane towards the islands.  In Lane's case, it had the opposite effect since lane approached from the south, it blew lane away from us and disrupted the storm.

2ahavvaii

« Reply #174 on: September 07, 2018, 05:26:06 AM »
Being in Mililani since 1993, I can say the water won't kill you, but it sure isn't the best tasting tap water I've ever used, either.

I use a Britta filtered jug for my Keurig, and fridge filtered water for drinking & ice.  If I need to add water for cooking, I use the filtered water.  I think the only regular use for non-filtered water is laundry, showers, and my dog's bowl (any animal that is okay with drinking from a toilet can't be that picky).

I also keep a dozen 14 oz bottles chilled, and cases stockpiled.

I read the water quality reports when they are sent out.  I don't know who sets the standards, but they must have subsidized Menehune water delivery.

mililani water is contminated with pesticides from pineapple days..... I dont work for BOW, so no idea how much water they using is from mililani nowadays or what the acceptble limits for these chemicals,etc is.

http://www.environment-hawaii.org/?p=3559

2ahavvaii

« Reply #175 on: September 07, 2018, 05:29:57 AM »
oh and im pretty sure those handheld purifiers dont have the ability to clean heavy metals and pesticides. 

While it's cool to have if you really need it.  I wouldn't use it to drink random alawai water if at all possible.

RSN172

« Reply #176 on: September 07, 2018, 10:49:28 AM »
My house water (catchment)  goes through 2 20"inch filters, then UV light to kill bacteria.  We then run that through a Brita pitcher for cooking and drinking.  I also have friends who only run their catchment water through one 10" filter and no UV light and are still alive.

Inspector

« Reply #177 on: September 10, 2018, 06:12:31 AM »
In case anyone wants to add an inexpensive camping stove to their hurricane preps I saw some Coleman 2 burner propane stoves still at the Kapolei Walmart with choke propane canisters. Usually, these items are gone this close to the expected event. Stove is $47 and propane canisters are $4 each or two for $7.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

2ahavvaii

« Reply #178 on: September 11, 2018, 08:47:41 AM »
 Maui county schools closing tomorrow.

Maui and Oahu  county and state employees likely as well.  gov meeting with mayors this morning.

oldfart

« Reply #179 on: September 11, 2018, 11:24:17 AM »
I went to costco kapolei last night and it was only slightly busy. Plenty TP and water and generators.
My intent was to restock my supply of TP and doggy chews and fill gas as I normally do on Monday.
As usual, I ended up buying more stuff that wasn't on the shopping list.
What, Me Worry?