What anti-gun bill is coming? (Read 4702 times)

changemyoil66

What anti-gun bill is coming?
« on: September 12, 2018, 10:46:56 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/active-shooter-study-semi-automatic-rifles-more-deadly-151348413.html

Only 1 reason to post this article now, some kind of 2a infringement must be coming.  Read the comments now, because around 1pm, they get edited to only show anti-2a comments.  I've noticed this happens with yahoo.  So as of now, almost all comments are calling the article BS.

eyeeatingfish

Re: What anti-gun bill is coming?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 10:55:04 PM »
Semi automatic rifles are more deadly than non semi-automatic rifles..... Well duh. They needed a study to know that?

Trumper

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 11:51:31 PM »
Semi automatic rifles are more deadly than non semi-automatic rifles..... Well duh. They needed a study to know that?
you dumb

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 11:58:39 PM »
you dumb

What a coherent rebuttal and with such good punctuation and sentence structure. Truly sir you have bested me  :wacko:

Jl808

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 12:01:41 AM »
Ruger 10/22 vs Remington 700?  or even an 870.
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Trumper

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 12:16:48 AM »
Ruger 10/22 vs Remington 700?  or even an 870.
you smart :thumbsup:

Trumper

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 12:27:17 AM »
What a coherent rebuttal and with such good punctuation and sentence structure. Truly sir you have bested me  :wacko:
you mad

changemyoil66

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 01:01:33 PM »

I believe he's referring to the number of rounds one can fire between the 2.  Granted round for round, a 7.62 is a 7.62.  But active shooters are not going to fire only 1 round.

Example: University of Texas bell tower shooter.  What if he had a m14 with a scope?

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 01:16:01 PM »
I believe he's referring to the number of rounds one can fire between the 2.  Granted round for round, a 7.62 is a 7.62.  But active shooters are not going to fire only 1 round.

Example: University of Texas bell tower shooter.  What if he had a m14 with a scope?

"More deadly" is a bad description.  If you understand firearms, the correct description is "rate of fire".

One thing credited with helping win WWII was the Garand Rifle. The 8 rd mag offered a higher rate of fire than the single shot or 5 rd mags at bolt action speeds the enemy carried.

A double action revolver can be fired as quickly as a semi-auto handgun.  The characterization that a semi is "more deadly" than a non-semi revolver is not accurate.  If you can control recoil in both types and keep the sights on target between trigger pulls, there's no difference in rate of fire -- it's all up to how fast you can pull the trigger.

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 02:14:25 PM »
"More deadly" is a bad description.  If you understand firearms, the correct description is "rate of fire".

One thing credited with helping win WWII was the Garand Rifle. The 8 rd mag offered a higher rate of fire than the single shot or 5 rd mags at bolt action speeds the enemy carried.

A double action revolver can be fired as quickly as a semi-auto handgun.  The characterization that a semi is "more deadly" than a non-semi revolver is not accurate.  If you can control recoil in both types and keep the sights on target between trigger pulls, there's no difference in rate of fire -- it's all up to how fast you can pull the trigger.

Was referring to the way the fake news uses the term.  And the revolver shooting champion isn't going to shoot up a school.  But a person who isn't as good with a gun might.  So in an average joe's hand, a semi auto pistol have a higher rate of fire (including reloads) than a revolver.  Same goes with rifles.

But I understand what you're saying which is true.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 04:11:08 PM »
Was referring to the way the fake news uses the term.  And the revolver shooting champion isn't going to shoot up a school.  But a person who isn't as good with a gun might.  So in an average joe's hand, a semi auto pistol have a higher rate of fire (including reloads) than a revolver.  Same goes with rifles.

But I understand what you're saying which is true.

It doesn't take a champion shooter to rapidly pull a trigger and hit people-size targets within a given range.  Some revolvers have 7 rd to 10 rd cylinders, depending on the caliber.  And with multiple revolvers, you could fire 12-30 rounds without reloading -- just swap guns.  One in the hand ... two in holsters.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

mrgaf

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 04:27:04 PM »
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 09:53:00 PM »
It doesn't take a champion shooter to rapidly pull a trigger and hit people-size targets within a given range.  Some revolvers have 7 rd to 10 rd cylinders, depending on the caliber.  And with multiple revolvers, you could fire 12-30 rounds without reloading -- just swap guns.  One in the hand ... two in holsters.

Good points but the article did say rifles. I know that revolver rifles do exist but I haven't seen them being reported as being used in crimes before and in general they just aren't that common.

So when it comes to rifles, the alternatives to semi automatic actions are going to pretty much all be much slower shooting. Pump, lever action, bolt action, single shot, etc.  are all going to have lower rates of fire and thus, in laymen's terms will be less deadly.

rklapp

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 12:04:03 AM »
Reminds me of a graph I use in training about falls from ladders. Fatal and non-fatal are mostly with 6 to 10 foot falls. Is this because 6 to 10 foot falls are more dangerous than other heights? Of course not. The numbers drop off gradually but non-fatal falls pretty much disappear above 10 feet. Just because something has the most occurrences, doesn't make it the most deadliest.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

bass monkey

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 03:15:19 PM »
Trump in office and republicans in control and you wondering what anti bill is coming up next.
I'm wondering why no pro 2a bills have been passed yet. 
What happened to the reciprocity bills?

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 08:45:54 PM »
Trump in office and republicans in control and you wondering what anti bill is coming up next.

+1
If we lose part of congress in this next election it will be even harder. Dropping the ball here republicans.

punaperson

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2018, 06:33:39 AM »
+1
If we lose part of congress in this next election it will be even harder. Dropping the ball here republicans.
A lot of "Republicans" are actually uniparty, and those include "Never Trumpers" and "anti-Trumpers" and RINOS, etc. I'd describe the majority leaders of both Republican wings of Congress as Dem-LITE. Issues such as Second Amendment-protected rights centered around personal freedom and liberty are of little to no interest to them. The group in the House that IS interested in these issues, the House Freedom Caucus, has a total of 34 members (out of 454 House seats). THAT'S why nothing's getting done on personal freedom and liberty issues.

changemyoil66

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2018, 09:04:44 AM »
Looks like the Vegas shooting worked to derail the reciprocity bill.  And yes, 600+ days and no pro 2a bills passed. 

But looking at it as half full, no anti-2a bills passed either.  Just on the state level only.