Shipping Ammo to the Mainland? (Read 3287 times)

Nomenclature

Shipping Ammo to the Mainland?
« on: September 04, 2019, 06:49:24 PM »
I just got a short-notice offer for a postdoctoral fellowship in Texas, so now I'm trying to figure out the best way to deal with my ammo.

The movers won't take it, and trying to sell it all locally in a week will be a PITA.

Anyone ever tried to ship ammo with FedEx or UPS?

Lihikai

Re: Shipping Ammo to the Mainland?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 07:04:08 PM »
The weight and hazmat fees will make it expensive.  You can try and post the entire lot here on 2AHI for a single take it or leave it price.  You never know - someone may buy it all.

Nomenclature

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 07:11:17 PM »
The weight and hazmat fees will make it expensive.
Have you tried it? From just browsing the websites, the HazMat fee doesn't seem that bad (assuming that they will accept the package in Hawaii).

Lihikai

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 07:41:10 PM »
No, but some friends of mine did ship a lot of ammo.  They shipped because they wanted to shoot hand loads and not use off-the-shelf stuff.  They never did ship ammo in future trips.

Nomenclature

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 11:42:52 AM »
From reviewing their websites, it looks like ammo is completely out for UPS Ground and FedEx Ground. That just leaves their 2-day products.

changemyoil66

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 02:07:41 PM »
2 words.  Fire sale.

Be happy you're going to a free state.  Get rid of those 10rd mags also if you got any.  Apply for tax stamp cause they take a while.

Nomenclature

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 02:22:46 PM »
2 words.  Fire sale.

Be happy you're going to a free state.  Get rid of those 10rd mags also if you got any.  Apply for tax stamp cause they take a while.
Yeah, I'll probably just sell the ammo locally. It will take me a few hours to inventory everything, though. So, I probably won't put up a post until sometime tomorrow.

drck1000

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 02:28:21 PM »
Are you gonna be on island until the next gun show?  Sep 28-29

Another possibility is to ship via freight forwarder.  But probably much easier to sell off here.  I've bought a bunch from a group from when I was a member of SRGC.  They had lots of members sell off their stash before PCSing out of Hawaii. 

In any case, best wishes to you!   :shaka:

Nomenclature

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 02:51:04 PM »
Are you gonna be on island until the next gun show?  Sep 28-29

Another possibility is to ship via freight forwarder.  But probably much easier to sell off here.  I've bought a bunch from a group from when I was a member of SRGC.  They had lots of members sell off their stash before PCSing out of Hawaii. 

In any case, best wishes to you!   :shaka:
Thanks. I'll be leaving right before the gun show, though.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 09:15:51 PM »
If you offer a real good deal here I am sure you will find some takers.

I am going to buy a 9MM rifle as soon as it comes in and I am going to need to purchase some 9mm.

robtmc

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 02:45:44 PM »
Not recommending it, but when I moved here, I just tossed the ammo in with tons of shoes and clothes my wife insisted on bringing.  Not like 100 ibs of ammo, so not much net effect on weight.   Weight is what the calculate your shipping charges by, IIRC.

Movers saw them as just boxes.  No comments, so I would guess no X-rays are done.