Why do Most of our gun ranges... (Read 10045 times)

BLKDRGN

Why do Most of our gun ranges...
« on: September 16, 2013, 05:35:07 PM »
have limitations even though it's legal? For example at Kokohead we can only load 5 or 10 rounds depending on which side you are on and we cannot rapid fire. Wondering why we even fight the gun control laws when our own ranges don't allow us what we are allowed to do.
Google it cause every question is a dumb question.

SpeedTek

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Car Nut, Machinist, Gunsmith & Monkey
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
Re: Why do Most of our gun ranges...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 05:56:40 PM »
They said its following bullseye competition rules.
Political Correctness is FOS
I collect M1 Carbines, PM me if youre selling!
& Bolt Action 308s also 10/22 Rugers.
Buying STOCK Ruger 10/22 parts and bits, PM me.
Now doing Vintage VW Parts!

rswarrior1700

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 05:58:39 PM »
I assumed it is a public range that is crowded...
5/10 round and no rapid fire to prevent any safety and liability issue, just in case a squib load goes off. Hell many already complaining with the flying brass alone imagine if a squid load goes off nearby other shooters. On the Action bays especially the fun shoot don't have those restrictions, but have to sign waivers every time we shoot.

BLKDRGN

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 06:06:04 PM »
I assumed it is a public range that is crowded...
5/10 round and no rapid fire to prevent any safety and liability issue, just in case a squib load goes off. Hell many already complaining with the flying brass alone imagine if a squid load goes off nearby other shooters. On the Action bays especially the fun shoot don't have those restrictions, but have to sign waivers every time we shoot.

So they and we don't trust others is what your saying? Then why are we pushing to keep 30 round magazines if we don't trust people to even fire more than 5 rounds at a time? We allow rapid fire but we don't trust them so no rapid firing. Doesn't this hurt our case when we don't even trust ourselves?

Darmok and Jalad @Tanagra

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 08:43:07 PM »
The only real reason I've ever found about the 5-round per load rule is to keep from having to wait while one or two shooters empty their mag before a target change cease fire is called.  Once you load your gun, you should continue firing until empty when a target change is announced.  Obviously, 5 rounds will be less of a delay for the range than 10, 20, 30, etc.

Some mainland ranges have this rule, but most I've been to have revoked it.  There is no valid safety justification.  Indoor ranges use a motorized cable to retrieve & ready targets.  There is no need to have target change cease fires.  All the indoor ranges I visited in NC and SC allow a full mag/cylinder per load.
"... the right to be let alone -- the most comprehensive of rights and the right most valued by civilized men."
--Justice Louis D. Brandeis

ren

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 08:45:13 PM »
Your answer lies with the range personnel
OR
start a petition here: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/
Deeds Not Words

AmbuBadger

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 08:50:42 PM »
I find the limits against loading to capacity and rapid firing to be a pain too, but when you think about how every day the RSO has to remind someone to stay away from the bench during ceasefires, you start to see where they're coming from. I get a little nervous everytime I'm downrange and I hear the RSO barking at someone over the speaker...

oldfart

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 09:17:24 PM »
In the big picture, the rules about 5 round limits and loaded mags on the bench are relatively new rules.

I don't care for them as I was shooting at KHSC long before these rules were instituted.
However seeing as how there has been an explosion of new shooters over the past few years, I can understand the reason for tighter range rules.
Imagine being a R.O. at KHSC and seeing hundreds of newbies at the firing line. I don't think I would like to be a R.O.

Back in the day when rules were more relaxed, there were a lot less people to deal with. Times have certainly changed.

The worst part of the 5 rnd limit is function testing your equipment. That bothers me.
If you just bought that nice new plastic gun, how can you tell if the gun and mags are fully operational when loaded to full capacity?
What, Me Worry?

BLKDRGN

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 10:43:18 PM »
In the big picture, the rules about 5 round limits and loaded mags on the bench are relatively new rules.

I don't care for them as I was shooting at KHSC long before these rules were instituted.
However seeing as how there has been an explosion of new shooters over the past few years, I can understand the reason for tighter range rules.
Imagine being a R.O. at KHSC and seeing hundreds of newbies at the firing line. I don't think I would like to be a R.O.

Back in the day when rules were more relaxed, there were a lot less people to deal with. Times have certainly changed.

The worst part of the 5 rnd limit is function testing your equipment. That bothers me.
If you just bought that nice new plastic gun, how can you tell if the gun and mags are fully operational when loaded to full capacity?

This kinda goes with my other posting awhile ago about having certificates to shoot a gun. Everyone came back and said noobs don't need to take a safety course to shoot cause they should learn from the person who owns the gun. This topic is opposite and they say noobs are not allowed to shoot more than 5 and hell no they ain't going to rapid fire cause we don't trust them. Not to mention it's an inconvenience when we need to cease fire. Unloading 30 rounds rapid fire is almost as quick as slow 5 rounds.

BLKDRGN

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 10:50:28 PM »
So let me get this straight. We fight for our 2nd Amendment rights and do not support gun control. Our State writes a law of what's legal and not legal and sets the bar limit. Now our local range chooses to do gun control and sets the bar limit to a 1/4 of the law. We do this because we don't trust ourselves and it's an inconvenience.

Q

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 11:07:02 PM »
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 09:17:58 PM by Q »

BLKDRGN

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 11:15:54 PM »
Best thing to do is start a petition.  :shaka:

Nah I can do all those things at Schofield. Just wondering why the restrictions?

Q

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 01:09:15 AM »
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 09:18:28 PM by Q »

one2boost

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 06:00:54 AM »
I would think the gun range rules are also influenced by the insurance company the gun range has an insurance policy with.  I would believe they wanted a cheaper rate to keep operating costs down, in turn keeping the fees somewhat low.  It is after all, an expensive hobby as it is.

AmbuBadger

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 07:12:46 AM »
Think of all the new kids who purchased their first firearm after playing COD, trying to be Soap MacTavish at the range, who have no education in basic firearms handling/operation, nor any basic marksmanship training. These are the same guys who consistently operate their weapon systems in unsafe manners, such as flagging other shooters, or not knowing how to properly trouble shoot a problem with their guns.

What I see at the range from time to time are the people who were never properly instructed on firearm safety, but rather seem to be kids who "graduated" from airsoft to shooting, and simply carried over all their bad habits and poor trigger discipline. Sometimes I'll make an effort to educate them, but it's hard when they shoot their know-it-all attitude at you because their rifle is just like the one on their Call of Duty profile loadout or whatever. Education is ultimately what will fix the "problem", but that takes a lot of time and effort.

mmmorgalis64

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 03:06:25 PM »
My question is, is why can't you shoot human silloheute (sp?) at KoKoHead? 5rds doesn't bother me except when I shoot my Garand or pistols.

Q

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 04:06:05 PM »
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 09:20:28 PM by Q »

mmmorgalis64

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 05:22:57 PM »
I figured it was something to do with the state, since it is a public range.
I know we shoot them at our indoor range on Sand Island. Can you shoot them at the one on Queen St. since it is a private/business range.

I would like to get practice in and we shoot the silhouette, but allotted so many rounds and chances.

OldFaithful

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 09:15:34 PM »
My question is, is why can't you shoot human silloheute (sp?) at KoKoHead? 5rds doesn't bother me except when I shoot my Garand or pistols.

You can load the garand with a full clip you know.  That's the one exception to the 5 round rule.

Heavies

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2013, 08:25:28 AM »
You can load the garand with a full clip you know.  That's the one exception to the 5 round rule.
:thumbsup: