California gun laws (Read 4775 times)

Bolterohana

California gun laws
« on: December 02, 2013, 09:04:51 PM »
If this is the wrong place for this question, my apologies.
I will be relocating to northern California and I want to be sure I can take my rifles there with no problem.
I don't have much, but two I am curious about are a ruger mini 14 ranch .223 and my DPMS Panther AR10 .308
Is there any reason I wouldn't be able to take these to California?

SpeedTek

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Car Nut, Machinist, Gunsmith & Monkey
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
Re: California gun laws
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 09:14:38 PM »
Check to see if they are on the California Dept of Justice list

If they are then.  SOL.

The AR-308 may need a bullet button.

Call a gun shop in the area where you plan to move to.
Doesn't hurt to ask questions. 
Political Correctness is FOS
I collect M1 Carbines, PM me if youre selling!
& Bolt Action 308s also 10/22 Rugers.
Buying STOCK Ruger 10/22 parts and bits, PM me.
Now doing Vintage VW Parts!

Funtimes

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 09:36:32 PM »
If this is the wrong place for this question, my apologies.
I will be relocating to northern California and I want to be sure I can take my rifles there with no problem.
I don't have much, but two I am curious about are a ruger mini 14 ranch .223 and my DPMS Panther AR10 .308
Is there any reason I wouldn't be able to take these to California?

You need to run through the Calguns assault weapon flowchart.

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf
Check out the Hawaii Defense Foundation.
HDF on Facebook
Defender of the Accused in Arkansas Courts
Posts are not legal advice & are my own, unless said so.

SOLEsource684

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 10:39:26 AM »
Get ready to add a Bullet Button for any AR platform. And bye bye to 30 round mags  :(. Safe travels to California!  :shaka:

sliver

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 07:21:38 PM »
make sure you double check the laws on where you are going to as I though I had heard some parts of cali have changed some of the gun laws to be more restrictive.  Just to be safe, I'd strip your guns into parts just to make sure your not breaking any laws before you go and reg them there.  Make sure you don't have any mags over 10 rounds weather it be in a handgun, rifle, or shotgun and no removable mags on rifles.

Bunker

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 07:35:14 PM »
Thought I read recently that 1 Jan parts kits will be illegal too. Seems like endless new restrictive laws on a regular basis in that state. What's more bothering is our liberal douche-bag representatives follow their lead.

mmmorgalis64

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 09:11:04 PM »
I believe if your military and xfer there you can have your guns there without the Lame-O accessories. But from what I hear people at the range will freak out, if your not complying with their retard laws.

Kingkeoni

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 02:13:26 AM »
I will be relocating to northern California

I'm sorry.
My condolences.
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

230RN

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 09:17:19 AM »
That flow chart is formidable-looking.

Strikes me as an "infringement," whatever that means.
I do believe that the radical and crazy notion that the Founders meant what they said, is gradually soaking through the judicial system.

Bunker

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 04:39:25 PM »
Thought I read recently that 1 Jan parts kits will be illegal too. Seems like endless new restrictive laws on a regular basis in that state. What's more bothering is our liberal douche-bag representatives follow their lead.
Here's is the bill I seen regarding mag parts kits. Looks like no more high cap mags in that state period.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201320140AB48
SEC. 2.

Section 32311 is added to the Penal Code, to read:

(a) Except as provided in Article 2 (commencing with Section 32400) of this chapter and in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, commencing January 1, 2014, any person in this state who knowingly manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, buys, or receives any large capacity magazine conversion kit is punishable by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) or imprisonment in a county jail not to exceed six months, or by both that fine and imprisonment. This section does not apply to a fully assembled large-capacity magazine, which is governed by Section 32310.
(b) For purposes of this section, a “large capacity magazine conversion kit” is a device or combination of parts of a fully functioning large-capacity magazine, including, but not limited to, the body, spring, follower, and floor plate or end plate, capable of converting an ammunition feeding device into a large-capacity magazine.

Section 1.5 of the same bill is not operative, due to enabling legislation (Senate Bill 396) not being passed.

230RN

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 03:23:23 AM »
It's funny, about forty years ago I was getting tempted to move to California, partly based on Skeeter Skelton's extolling the wonderful shooting opportunities out there... you know, drive 5 miles and pick a spot and start shooting.

Whew!  That was close!

Terry
I do believe that the radical and crazy notion that the Founders meant what they said, is gradually soaking through the judicial system.

sliver

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 08:27:38 PM »
It's funny, about forty years ago I was getting tempted to move to California, partly based on Skeeter Skelton's extolling the wonderful shooting opportunities out there... you know, drive 5 miles and pick a spot and start shooting.

Whew!  That was close!

Terry

you can still do that if you live with in 5 miles of a national forest.

Scar16

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Aren't you a little short to be a storm trooper?
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 09:03:04 PM »

Ca does have many awesome places to go shoot unlike here but their gun laws suck, we're not too much behind them though, let's pray nothing new happens. When I lived in ca we'd drive up to the hills/forest  set up targets and shoot all day and not see anyone for miles. Great times!

Aiea78

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Grab em by the handles
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 09:04:46 PM »
Only if you have ammo to shoot LOL
Assault Rifle? What I have here is an Anti-Assault Rifle.
Proud Member 2016 2a Day Dozen open holster carry crew yo

230RN

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 06:09:40 AM »
Silver link said,

Scar 16 remarked,
Ca does have many awesome places to go shoot unlike here but their gun laws suck,

Aiea78 added
Only if you have ammo to shoot LOL

:) I was going to post, "With what guns?" :D

Terry,  :'(
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 06:16:25 AM by 230RN »

Inspector

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 07:04:32 AM »
Not sure if I am remembering this correctly or not? It has been a few years since I lived in SoCal and even longer since I tried to go shooting in a National Park. But if you read the signs in the National Parks most of them say no discharge of firearms allowed in this area. You can only go and shoot in designated areas or areas where there are no signs. There are signs farther into some parks than 5 miles. And some parks (due to certain circumstances) do not allow firearm discharge at all.

BTW, the last National Park I went shooting at (Damn, can't remember the name or the area) was 1.5 hr drive away from Long Beach and then another half hour to 45 min drive in to get to the designated area. It was a great area to shoot in. But if too many people showed up they would shoot on all sides and there are too many rocky areas there. Inexperienced shooters were shooting into the rocky areas and causing ricochets. My ex got hit twice on one trip. Fortunately (Or unfortunately?) the bullets just left bruises. The last time we were there the place was full of trash and gang stuff painted on the rocks. We didn't feel comfortable shooting there and went home. I would guess that was 12-15 years ago.

Here some good info on the subject:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!