kokohead trail up the hill hike an hikers (Read 18303 times)

glockernator

kokohead trail up the hill hike an hikers
« on: December 25, 2013, 09:13:27 PM »
 >:(          wuz wondering if anyone knows if the kokohead trail goin up the mountain is a state/county.federal  lands legal hiking trail etc...      cause seems to me wolud be more of a danger to hike up with the range so close an if u get some mento person might try to pic off someone goin up......reason i ask cause my wifes freinds said they could here the whizzz of the bullets sometimes.......idk ....anyone else herre abouit this stuff ......ever since stuff came up about bullets goin over ridge....i didnt hear anyone say anything about the hiking trail which seems to me more dangerous !     jus my opinion........anyone else care to comment ?

Darmok and Jalad @Tanagra

Re: kokohead trail up the hill hike an hikers
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 09:15:14 PM »
>:(          wuz wondering if anyone knows if the kokohead trail goin up the mountain is a state/county.federal  lands legal hiking trail etc...      cause seems to me wolud be more of a danger to hike up with the range so close an if u get some mento person might try to pic off someone goin up......reason i ask cause my wifes freinds said they could here the whizzz of the bullets sometimes.......idk ....anyone else herre abouit this stuff ......ever since stuff came up about bullets goin over ridge....i didnt hear anyone say anything about the hiking trail which seems to me more dangerous !     jus my opinion........anyone else care to comment ?

Greg?   ???
"... the right to be let alone -- the most comprehensive of rights and the right most valued by civilized men."
--Justice Louis D. Brandeis

macsak

Tom_G

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 10:14:23 PM »
The path you refer to is a former tramway.  Is is expressedly NOT a legal trail, not maintained by the Feds, the DLNR, or the C&C.  Signs at the entrance and along the length clearly confirm this.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

glockernator

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 10:24:37 PM »
thanks for the 411.......so why do they let people go up when its clearly  a risk u might get hit by an errant bullet .........doesnt anyone think thats not right       an wut the hell is  DNFTT         sorry i not schooled in the comp slang language !

macsak

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 10:31:47 PM »
thanks for the 411.......so why do they let people go up when its clearly  a risk u might get hit by an errant bullet .........doesnt anyone think thats not right       an wut the hell is  DNFTT         sorry i not schooled in the comp slang language !

there is no risk
we are all safe gun owners and operators
move along

jaynick

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 10:37:18 PM »

they dont "let" people up there. just like how they dont "let" people up mariners ridge trail.

ren

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 10:38:53 PM »
Signs were put up warning them of the dangers but people still hiked up the trail.
Deeds Not Words

Heavies

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 10:43:32 PM »
Since the range is closed, and we cannot go shoot, we should go over to the entrance to the trail and call the cops on anyone attempting to trespass that area.  You know..... for 'safety'.

Q

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 11:01:57 PM »
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 11:23:33 PM by Q »

suka

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 12:20:38 AM »
Pretty sure it's not Greg from prior posts.

Darmok and Jalad @Tanagra

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 03:16:46 AM »
DNFTT

Do not feed the troll(s)
"... the right to be let alone -- the most comprehensive of rights and the right most valued by civilized men."
--Justice Louis D. Brandeis

punkassbob

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 10:28:37 AM »
Found this and someone's response is quite interesting.

http://archives.starbulletin.com/2008/02/16/news/story06.html
Knudsen responded: "The only way someone on the trail is endangered is if someone intentionally aimed a firearm at people on the trail. They are under very strict safety provisions at the range.

mmmorgalis64

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 12:59:33 PM »
I've gone up the trail twice as a get out of work, morale day. I never once heard any bullets whizzing by or overhead nor did anyone else in my department. I did puke at the top doing the hike hung over the 2nd time.

stangzilla

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 01:01:45 PM »
if you think it's unsafe,
don't hike the trail.

see how easy that was.   :grrr:

drck1000

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2013, 01:48:30 PM »
I used to do that hike regularly before I started shooting at Koko Head.  It does seem like the range is VERY close when you're walking along the paved road that runs around the upper baseball field, but I never hear any whizzing of projectiles anywhere when I was on the trail.  In fact, once you get up beyond the bridge, you don't really hear shots from the range that much, particularly if it's windy. 

I've seen tons of people get taken off the trail by HFD helicopter.  I've always wondered what, if anything, they are charged for that service.  When I used to snowboard in WA state, a couple resorts had signs at the boundary of the ski area warning that the area beyond is NOT part of the area that is patrolled and that there is a minimum fine of $1000 (or something like that) if they have to go in there to get you out. 

Rocky

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 02:05:41 PM »
Found this and someone's response is quite interesting.

http://archives.starbulletin.com/2008/02/16/news/story06.html
Knudsen responded: "The only way someone on the trail is endangered is if someone intentionally aimed a firearm at people on the trail. They are under very strict safety provisions at the range.

Signs have been posted at the trails entrance for years.
It is only by acts of "VANDALISM" consisting of the removal of these "CITY AND COUNTY" signs that necessitated the need for REPLACEMENT signs.
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Surf

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2013, 04:30:01 PM »
A lot of people get hurt on that trail which very often requires extraction via fire rescue / helo and this happens on a regular basis, generally weekly.  Financially speaking it costs the tax payers A LOT of money to effect these rescues.  The fuel for the helo alone for a single rescue is a good chunk of change.  The overall numbers incurred by the taxpayers would probably shock many people.  The trail presents far more of a risk to injury than the firing range.  And hearing "whizzing bullets" is BS.  Of all of the complaints related to that trail, "whizzing bullets" is not one of them.

Funtimes

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 06:04:55 PM »
A lot of people get hurt on that trail which very often requires extraction via fire rescue / helo and this happens on a regular basis, generally weekly.  Financially speaking it costs the tax payers A LOT of money to effect these rescues.  The fuel for the helo alone for a single rescue is a good chunk of change.  The overall numbers incurred by the taxpayers would probably shock many people.  The trail presents far more of a risk to injury than the firing range.  And hearing "whizzing bullets" is BS.  Of all of the complaints related to that trail, "whizzing bullets" is not one of them.

I forgot who I spoke to, but it's my understanding that the medical, helo, crew etc. runs about $5,000 a trip to that mountain.  And, like you said, we are talking like 1-2+ trips a week.   Which is just over a quarter million dollars a year based on one trip a week.

Dolomite

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2013, 06:16:41 PM »
Idiots didn't hear bullets whizzing by it's the damn bees up there... So many bees by the bridge it's crazy... Plus noise rises so any small sound can be heard at the too... Ie I lived on the 32 floor if a building and I could hear people talking and laughing on the street... At the top is pretty quiet since people are out of breath...