Does your home defense handgun have a round in the chamber? (Read 16176 times)

bok88

Re: Does your home defense handgun have a round in the chamber?
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2014, 03:57:27 PM »
Loaded mags but no round in chamber sleeping close to my surefire light.

Pit808

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2014, 06:50:31 PM »
Thanks for all the replies  :shaka: Maybe I'll switch to a revolvolator for home defense  ;)

Reasons a wheelie sits next to the bed:
- wife had a hard time racking a slide
- can't limp wrist malfunction a revo
- wheelie 2nd shot not dependent on the first shot to cycle the action
- no hammer / slide movement to get snagged on anything

BTW: its a S&W no lock 640-1  :thumbsup:
chitty chitty bang bang.......

dogman

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2014, 07:32:55 PM »

BTW: its a S&W no lock 640-1  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

whynow?

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2014, 08:01:36 PM »
+1 more on loaded mag, none in chamber  about 6' from bed.  Right or wrong, I rely on armed alarm system at night and all windows secured.  Things may change if increase in home invasions (etc.) start happening. 

Kimo772

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2014, 07:57:15 AM »
+1 for Pit808 and the revolver.  My SW model 65 is within arms length and loaded with SD 357's.  Almost forget, filled speed-loader included.   

stangzilla

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2014, 08:15:30 AM »
Thanks for all the replies  :shaka: Maybe I'll switch to a revolvolator for home defense  ;)

for the purpose of this thread,
what is the difference in keeping a loaded revolver and a loaded semiauto?

mauidog

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2014, 05:19:44 PM »

Not much diff with DA revolver.  If its SAO, then no chance of accidental trigger pull with hammer down.
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.   -- Jeff Cooper

Walena

« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2014, 06:49:57 PM »
Have 2 of each SOG Fasthawks, Gerber Gator Jr.s, and 18" Aluminum billys in various hidden places at home to buy me time in case I have to get to my loaded .357....which when accessed, should be the last resort.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 06:57:50 PM by Walena »

Kingkeoni

« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2014, 07:51:45 PM »
This is my last resort.
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

dogman

« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2014, 07:57:09 PM »

I didn't consider a revolver until reading some of the replies. I would feel comfortable with a loaded SA or DA revolver just because it would take a little more effort to discharge the weapon than a semi-auto with a round in the chamber. I don't know if that's really a good reason ???. I have a GP100 but I'd want something with a shorter barrel. If you see a guy at the gun show checking out revolvers it might be me.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 10:27:30 PM by dogman »

Tom_G

« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2014, 09:44:22 PM »

If you have misplaced concerns about magazine springs, or more legitimate concerns about ammo taking a beating due to repeated loadings and unloadings, a revolver has neither of those issues. 
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Surf

« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2014, 07:16:11 AM »
In general, those who do not like to keep a round chambered usually have that opinion due to a lack of general familiarity with firearms or lack of comfort in carrying in that mode.  This is most likely due to a deficiency in training and experience with firearms.  If we are going to take on the responsibility of using a firearm to defend our homes, as a responsible firearm owner who has accepted that responsibility it is our duty to be as comfortable and proficient as possible with that weapon.  If we are not comfortable enough to have a round in the chamber I might suggest that your chances of success at home defense dramatically decreases.  If you fall into that lack of comfort category, I might suggest some quality training and much more time allotted for practice.  Other concerns about kids or family members, we need to keep the weapons secure anyway.  Quite honestly the spring issue especially in quality modern firearms is a non factor. 

macsak

« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2014, 07:24:21 AM »
In general, those who do not like to keep a round chambered usually have that opinion due to a lack of general familiarity with firearms or lack of comfort in carrying in that mode.  This is most likely due to a deficiency in training and experience with firearms.  If we are going to take on the responsibility of using a firearm to defend our homes, as a responsible firearm owner who has accepted that responsibility it is our duty to be as comfortable and proficient as possible with that weapon.  If we are not comfortable enough to have a round in the chamber I might suggest that your chances of success at home defense dramatically decreases.  If you fall into that lack of comfort category, I might suggest some quality training and much more time allotted for practice.  Other concerns about kids or family members, we need to keep the weapons secure anyway.  Quite honestly the spring issue especially in quality modern firearms is a non factor. 

well said, surf
i think a distinction needs to be made, however
i would chamber a round if we ever get the right to carry, and i choose to do so
at home, however, i choose not to for reasons i listed previously

i am curious, what other's reasons are for not chambering
it seems like a majority are not chambering, yet i was the only one who listed the reason why
for conversation's sake, i am wondering why everyone else chooses not to chamber

Rocky

« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2014, 08:29:19 AM »
well said, surf
i would chamber a round if we ever get the right to carry, and i choose to do so

it seems like a majority are not chambering, yet i was the only one who listed the reason why
for conversation's sake, i am wondering why everyone else chooses not to chamber

+ 1  :thumbsup:

I do not put gas in my car only when I am ready to use it.  :crazy:
Time is of the essence.

The following are pretty much standard rules and  for those of you in the know, NRA changed their "Loaded gun " rule a while back from "treat all guns as loaded" to it's present form.

There are many variations, and one of them is the Four Rules introduced by Colonel Jeff Cooper (1920), which are:

1.All guns are always loaded.
2.Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3.Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
4.Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
—Jeff Cooper[1]

The NRA provides a similar set of rules:

1.ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
2.ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
3.ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
—The National Rifle Association, The fundamental NRA rules for safe gun handling[2]

The Canadian Firearms Program uses the concept of The Four Firearm ACTS:

1.Assume every firearm is loaded.
2.Control the muzzle direction at all times.
3.Trigger finger off trigger and out of trigger guard.
4.See that the firearm is unloaded. PROVE it safe.
—Canadian Firearms Centre, The Four ACTS of Firearm Safety[3]

As Surf sez, if you cannot be comfortable with a loaded firearm, you need more training.
For all of those who would not have "one in the tube" at home, would you  "carry " that way ? :wacko:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Jdelacruz

Tom_G

The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Pit808

« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2014, 11:08:16 AM »
I keep my 640 in a small quick access safe.  It's been there before my kids were born and they grew up walking right past it.  They don't even notice it and have no idea whats in there.  Being that it is secured in the safe, I don't see why I wouldn't have loaded chambers regardless of if its a revo or semi.  If it was tucked under a mattress or under a pillow, then I could see leaving the chamber empty but recommend a better way to store it anyway.  Having to rack a slide just complicates the situation.  When you just woke up unexpectedly and are under stress, will you short stroke the slide? What if you accidentally hit the mag release?  Would you rather still have 1 in the chamber or looking under the bed for all of your rounds with a empty chamber? If this is a non-issue because you bought a pistol with a mag safety, then that's your fault and should have bought a real gun.  j/k  :rofl:
chitty chitty bang bang.......

Surf

« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2014, 01:56:02 PM »
Interesting article about this.

http://thinkinggunfighter.blogspot.com/2010/09/myths-of-israeli-method-of-carry-or-why.html
We need to consider that anyone can write a blog.  I am familiar with the author and I very much do not subscribe to his article, other online things he has written and he takes a stance that conflicts with a great deal of current progressive methodology.  Not saying one is right or wrong, but if I chose I could sit here and dissect that article and punch many holes in it.  Holes in it not from just speculation but from many years of training individuals in Force on Force (FoF) or defensive shooting techniques including hand to hand when a firearm is involved.  Even with a little exposure to FoF training a pattern becomes obviously clear when using certain techniques.  The biggest problem with FoF or defensive training is that even your most average person will have a hard enough time to effectively bring to bear a firearm that just needs a trigger pulled even under an "ideal" defensive stress situation.  Put some type of a twist to the scenario and asking someone to rack a round and deploy the weapon becomes nearly impossible before getting seriously injured or perhaps sustaining what would equate to a lethal wound in real life.  We have tested the empty chamber theory in scenarios ad nauseum from the untrained to moderately trained to the highly trained.  The first two groups consistently fail terribly.  Even though the highly trained fair better, there are far more scenarios where they may have more issues.  I will also note that I can draw, rack a round and fire a well aimed shot faster than most people can just draw and pull trigger.  However I know of many situations that I could reasonably find myself in where I could be at a huge disadvantage if I needed to rack my weapon. 

The easiest way to look at this is to perhaps look towards Law Enforcement, the Military or any of the most respected trainers in the Nation.  Now you can even look beyond this nation and take it world wide.  There is a reason that so few true professionals or modern methodology in general concludes that carrying with an empty chamber is a good idea. This should be the biggest clue.  Do not induce a mechanical disadvantage as a mechanism for safety.  Train the individual, because when your life or your family members life is on the line, you want every advantage and as much skill and familiarity with your firearm to go with it.

ETA - I am not suggesting anything to anyone, nor offering any advice.  We are all free to make our own choices in life.   
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 02:07:10 PM by Surf »

Jdelacruz

« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2014, 02:53:32 PM »
I think we all know anyone can write up anything they want on the internet. That's a given. He does present some interesting arguments for those who choose not to chamber a round.

whynow?

« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2014, 08:52:40 PM »
well said, surf

At home, I don't chamber a round due to what I perceive to be the current threat level in my home and neighborhood added to the fact that my alarm system is armed, all windows secured, have a commercial type steel door and frame  and have motion sensor lights on all sides of the house etc.  If  I saw the threat level changing then I would chamber a round with my P239 hammer down and first shot in DA.
BUT then this thread started me thinking and I began to remember that in anything important, consistency is a must.   Meaning that if sometimes I have no round in the chamber and at other times I might, this may lead to uncertainty.
If a round is always chambered except during maintenance, training with holster etc. then your mindset should be consistent.   Soooo, I have decided to change and start chambering in my HD pistol.
That said, I admit I could use some good defensive shooting and holster training and more range time. 
 This is my opinions only since others have different experiences.  Good thread and discussion. :shaka: