Proper length carbon cleaning Rod (Read 1189 times)

chamohunter

Proper length carbon cleaning Rod
« on: April 23, 2014, 09:59:27 PM »
 Howzit, Can someone tell me what's the proper length or rule of thumb in choosing a carbon fiber cleaning rod? I have a Remmington 700, 30 06 with a 24" barrel and a bore guide. 

Haoleb

Re: Proper length carbon cleaning Rod
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 10:39:47 AM »
for my rem 700 with the 26" barrel and bore guide I bought a tipton 36" rod. I should have got the 40" it would have been easier. 36 gets the job done  but interferes a little with my cheek rest. Since you are using a bore guide I see no downside to going with a rod that might be construed as too long.

chamohunter

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 11:51:05 AM »
 8) Thanks for the response, I thought I would ask before going off and spending the money then have to go back and return it! One shot one kill Aloha

BLKDRGN

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 01:54:21 PM »
I have a .308 Remington 700 with 24" barrel. I use a 40" J Dewey nylon-coated rod with bore guide. Just make sure when you measure you count the muzzle if it has one and your stock. Make sure there is enough extra length so you can remove the cleaning patches and also your brushes goes all the way past the barrel. Going too long is a slight problem. The rod tends to flex more and you can scratch the sides of the rod.
Google it cause every question is a dumb question.