Navy base shooting - Guard disarmed to obtain weapon (Read 8833 times)

Q

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2014, 10:33:47 PM »
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 11:30:37 AM by Q »

Funtimes

Re: Navy base shooting - Guard disarmed to obtain weapon
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 12:03:42 AM »
I just wanted to add that I am saddened by the loss of this service member.  It's just my random opinion, that things like this could potentially be prevented if the brass took our weapons training serious :(, which they don't.  I just hate people being put up with a gun to protect something, when they are really just more of an icon.

Proper equipment and procedures should be put into place to help the next person have a greater chance of retaining their their weapon against some crazed lunatic that wants to do them harm.   The Navy will likely blow this off; scoff at suggestions to alter equipment, and we will see nothing of it.  That attitude is one of the few reasons I got out. 
Check out the Hawaii Defense Foundation.
HDF on Facebook
Defender of the Accused in Arkansas Courts
Posts are not legal advice & are my own, unless said so.

Rocky

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2014, 01:01:37 PM »
    A close friend of mine was asked to qualify and was so dissappointed with the training, he is basically "slacking"  to get out of it.
He is far from idiot, but feels there is such inadequate training and time allowed to do it, that he'd rather not have the responsibility or the classification just because he feels they do not prepare you for this exact scenario.
He's been shooting with me for almost 18 years and is more than familiar with firearms,  just not the CQB  which he feels should be trained for.
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Bcspy

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 01:45:46 PM »
Petty Officer Mark A. Mayo Awarded Navy and Marine Corps Medal

ARLINGTON, Va. –   Petty Officer Mark A. Mayo was posthumously awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Medal today at Arlington National Cemetery.   

Admiral Mark Ferguson, vice chief of naval operations, presented the award to Mayo’s family on behalf of the President of the United States.

Following the private medal ceremony, Mayo was laid to rest with military honors.

The Navy and Marine Corps Medal citation, signed by Adm. Jonathan W. Greenert, chief of naval operations, reads as follows:

The President of the United States takes pride in presenting the
NAVY AND MARINE CORPS MEDAL posthumously to

MASTER-AT-ARMS SECOND CLASS MARK A. MAYO
UNITED STATES NAVY

for service as set forth in the following

CITATION:

For heroism while serving at Naval Station Norfolk Security Detachment, Norfolk, Virginia on 24 March 2014. While performing his duties as Chief of the Guard, Petty Officer Mayo was alerted to a suspicious individual walking towards USS MAHAN (DDG 72) on Pier 1, Naval Station Norfolk. Petty Officer Mayo pursued the individual up the brow of the ship while both he and the Quarterdeck watch-standers directed the individual to stop and provide identification. Failing to comply, the individual approached the Quarterdeck, attacked and disarmed the Petty Officer of the Watch. After boarding the ship, Petty Officer Mayo realized that the Petty Officer of the Watch no longer had control of her weapon. With complete and total disregard for his own personal safety, Petty Officer Mayo immediately placed himself between the Petty Officer of the Watch and the assailant.  While fearlessly engaging the assailant and shielding the Petty Officer of the Watch, Petty Officer Mayo was fatally wounded. His exceptionally brave actions saved the lives of four watch-standers and ensured the safety of the entire crew of USS MAHAN (DDG 72). By his courageous and prompt actions in the face of great personal risk, Petty Officer Mayo prevented the loss of lives, thereby reflecting great credit upon himself and upholding the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

For the President,
JONATHAN W. GREENERT
Admiral, United States Navy

aieahound

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2014, 10:18:02 AM »
Petty Officer Mayo was definitely a Hero !  :shaka: