Buried Ammo Cache stash (Read 4815 times)

yurcarmeean

Buried Ammo Cache stash
« on: October 29, 2014, 05:00:28 AM »
Hypothetically, if you were to bury a cache of ammo (and a gun if you want) in your yard, how would you secure it from moisture and the elements?
If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready.

dafrtknocker

Re: Buried Ammo Cache stash
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 08:33:36 AM »

one2boost

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 08:42:45 AM »
12 inch PVC pipes are good. 

I would invest in one of those vacuum sealer machine kits as well.   But I would add maybe some small pieces of cardboard to the sharp edges, so it does not puncture the bag.  I also add a couple of small silica gel packets as well for good measure.  I have a bunch of race engine parts, this is something I do quite often.  Now if could only find a vacuum sealer machine kit at Walmart to do my crankshafts.

stangzilla

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 09:06:29 AM »
seal a meal or food saver are great investment for ammo, food, general storage, etc

i got a seal a meal on amazon for less than $50
when my ammo supply surpasses my ammo can capacity, i seal it with the seal a meal until i get more ammo cans.
works great on food too.  :shaka:

suka

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 11:53:58 AM »
cosmoline , the military has done it for years.
young gun sell it in pint sizes

mauidog

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 12:00:50 PM »
cosmoline , the military has done it for years.
young gun sell it in pint sizes

That's good for your "long term storage - not expecting to need it quickly" guns. 

I'd hate to have to ask the Zombies/Fascists/Criminals for a timeout while I clean the gunk out of my firearms!   :crazy:
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.   -- Jeff Cooper

oldfart

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 12:20:30 PM »
That's good for your "long term storage - not expecting to need it quickly" guns. 

I'd hate to have to ask the Zombies/Fascists/Criminals for a timeout while I clean the gunk out of my firearms!   :crazy:
=============
huh?
Isn't burying something underground pretty long term storage?
What, Me Worry?

macsak

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 12:50:17 PM »
Hypothetically, if you were to bury a cache of ammo (and a gun if you want) in your yard, how would you secure it from moisture and the elements?

there's some discussion on this topic in this thread
https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=13197.msg126837#msg126837
i bet there are more threads in the prep/survival subforum too

mauidog

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 02:47:22 PM »
=============
huh?
Isn't burying something underground pretty long term storage?

Burying isn't necessarily exclusive to long term storage. 

Buried = hidden.

If you no longer have access to the gun/s you kept indoors (confiscated or taken by force), you may need to make use of the buried firearm sooner than it takes to clean all that comsoline out of it! 

That's what I meant.
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.   -- Jeff Cooper

Q

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 05:32:32 PM »
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 10:08:19 AM by Q »

sliver

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 10:05:42 PM »
make sure you call ahead of time to make sure you don't cut in to a gas/electrical/sewer/water line!  All we need is some jack ass trying to bury his guns/ammo to either kill himself or take out the utilities to an entire block...

yurcarmeean

If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready.

dustoff003

Buried Ammo Cache stash
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 06:07:02 AM »
make sure you call ahead of time to make sure you don't cut in to a gas/electrical/sewer/water line!  All we need is some jack ass trying to bury his guns/ammo to either kill himself or take out the utilities to an entire block...

Seriously? "Hi (insert name here) I would like to know if there are any underground utilities in the place where I intend to bury my cache of ammo and firearm(s)? An underground utilities survey costs money and the onus to complete it is on the person digging. You should know what's in or under your property. You should be okay in a wilderness area with a little planning. Really how much damage can a person with hand tools do i.e. shovel, pick and post hole digger do to an underground utility which is generally in a conduit or proceeded by a layer of gravel?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 06:20:16 AM by dustoff003 »

palaina.kawika

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 04:29:19 PM »
Really how much damage can a person with hand tools do i.e. shovel, pick and post hole digger do to an underground utility which is generally in a conduit or proceeded by a layer of gravel?

depends on who is wielding that shovel. lol

dogman

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 05:58:01 PM »
There are properties, older and newer ones that have direct bury with no conduit. Mine was one of them. I hit a live cable with a shovel less than eight inches deep. There was a loud pop and a puff of smoke. HECO came and "toned" the location and depth of the cable for free since it was on their side of the meter. There records show it was installed in the mid fifties. The cable was only eight to sixteen inches deep. I took care of that problem. The electrician told me he's done some houses in Mililani with direct bury and no conduit also. He said that with heavy rainfall the cable can slowly float to the surface.

sliver

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 12:26:06 AM »
Seriously? "Hi (insert name here) I would like to know if there are any underground utilities in the place where I intend to bury my cache of ammo and firearm(s)? An underground utilities survey costs money and the onus to complete it is on the person digging. You should know what's in or under your property. You should be okay in a wilderness area with a little planning. Really how much damage can a person with hand tools do i.e. shovel, pick and post hole digger do to an underground utility which is generally in a conduit or proceeded by a layer of gravel?

some times, make that most times you can't cure stupid.  I feel sad for Hawaii when people like you are allowed to live here!  It frightens me that people like you are allowed to own firearms... 

dustoff003

Buried Ammo Cache stash
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2014, 09:24:11 AM »

some times, make that most times you can't cure stupid.  I feel sad for Hawaii when people like you are allowed to live here!  It frightens me that people like you are allowed to own firearms...

Thanks! I will go ahead and leave then. Who says I own firearms?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 04:32:46 PM by dustoff003 »