documentary on "ghost guns" and the black market (Read 9348 times)

Veurs1911

documentary on "ghost guns" and the black market
« on: February 07, 2015, 10:59:24 PM »
very good documentary, even the narrator says due to californias strict gun laws, theres no shortage of customers for the criminals and black markets, must watch. it shows the source and how they get to the U.S.
very interesting  :D

"rather be judged by 12, then carried by 6"

"better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it"

"know guns, no crime, no guns, know crime"

sliver

Re: documentary on "ghost guns" and the black market
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 01:04:09 AM »
ghost gun?  you mean any gun plus a grinder/dremel?

personally I don't understand why they do not make ak47's.  so much easier to finish a flat and make a receiver rather then a 1911.  I mean if you are going to stick with a 1911 platform, why not buy a cnc machine or a 3d printer to print them out?

what is really funny is the cop during the raid which has his semi-auto pistol right up to his eye where the slide will fly back and hit him in the eye if he pulls the trigger :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 01:32:16 AM by sliver »

Veurs1911

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 01:31:26 AM »
Its not only dremel and file away on the serial number of course they do that too, if you pay close attention to the documentary, they create a clone in danao, kinda ingenious, they will make it look like its totally legitimate with a fake serial number and actual manufacturing brand on it like colt etc..the serial numbers un-tracable no ballistics record from the company, they make a 1911 cause its a handgun, and criminals prefer something concealable over an ak unless you're cartel or need that kind of firepower to maintain whatever illegal activity there is, they have to be able to easily smuggle the gun from the philipines to the U.S. and so fourth down south of the border.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 03:07:51 AM by Veurs1911 »

Veurs1911

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 01:34:38 AM »
also i dont think they can afford a cnc machine lol, at least in the philipines, they have to hide up in the mountains and make there ends meet, the gun only costs like $100 bucks after they finish it, by the time it reaches U.S. market they go for $1000+ depending if its been used

sliver

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 01:35:06 AM »
if you pay close attention the documentary, you'll see what they mean by ghost gun, i'm not talking about being politically correct, its not only dremel and file away on the serial number of course they do that too, they create a clone in danao, kinda ingenious, they will make it look like its totally legitimate with a fake serial number and actual manufacturing brand on it like colt etc..the serial numbers un-tracable no ballistics record from the company, they make a 1911 cause its a handgun, and criminals prefer something concealable over an ak unless you're cartel or need that kind of firepower to maintain whatever illegal activity there is, they have to be able to easily smuggle the gun from the philipines to the U.S. and so fourth down south of the border.

why not just grind down the serial numbers nicely, weld over it and then just punch what ever serial number you want in its place?  I don't even see why that is even an issue to be honest, I mean you get caught with a gun during a crime and you are going to prison either way.  don't matter if it is a ghost gun or not!  police catch you, they put you in jail, you cry long time... 

sliver

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 01:47:27 AM »
also i dont think they can afford a cnc machine lol, at least in the philipines, they have to hide up in the mountains and make there ends meet, the gun only costs like $100 bucks after they finish it, by the time it reaches U.S. market they go for $1000+ depending if its been used

ya gotta spend money to make money!  broke ass bitches gonna stay broke.  its a fact!

Veurs1911

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 03:15:28 AM »
lol true, of course i think it might have something to do with smuggling it in, but yeah, the guns are way more pricey if they look "legal" you probably can blend it in and make it look legitimate, go to the shooting range, unless someone takes a close look at it and you don't look like you came out of prison and you can integrate with society (assuming criminals get range time practicing their ganster lean and shooting sideways lol) they wouldnt be able to tell, and probably assume its legal, every gun does have a finger print though, their ballistic marks, i mean they could just buy a whole new barrel and firing pin and that will change the rifling marks on the bullets and whatever else forensics look at, theres no need to toss a whole gun lol

Heavies

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 02:22:42 PM »
lol true, of course i think it might have something to do with smuggling it in, but yeah, the guns are way more pricey if they look "legal" you probably can blend it in and make it look legitimate, go to the shooting range, unless someone takes a close look at it and you don't look like you came out of prison and you can integrate with society (assuming criminals get range time practicing their ganster lean and shooting sideways lol) they wouldnt be able to tell, and probably assume its legal, every gun does have a finger print though, their ballistic marks, i mean they could just buy a whole new barrel and firing pin and that will change the rifling marks on the bullets and whatever else forensics look at, theres no need to toss a whole gun lol

I tend to disagree with the "Ballistic Fingerprint".  yeah if the badguy is caught right away, and is dumb enough to keep the evidence, he might get linked, but the "ballistic fingerprint" changes over time and IMO is a product of too much TV and movies.

Veurs1911

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 02:50:18 PM »
yeah i learned that it can be easily defeated as well as the success rate that forensics have catching a criminal using ballistics and what not is very slim to none, like below 40% of actually having a match but ballistic forensics is real none the less just kinda impractical seeing as theres so much way around it, they would try to match the bullet to the rifling or the firing pin to the gun, and its signature, theres many ways around it. even the whole micro stamping stuff is bullshit, each primer and case is different, this documentary is prime example that gun control doesn't work, i mean its plain obvious to the people watching it when criminals say anywhere with strict gun laws, they thrive on a huge market, there's always demand for guns

justin1098

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 04:13:56 PM »
So the whole point of these "ghost guns" is that they wont be tagged as stolen or used in a crime and won't get the owner immediately thrown in jail.

Armscor needs to expand into custom hand made 1911's and hire these guys. They could probably build a better pistol than the rock island or para ordinance 1911's they build now.

Veurs1911

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 05:44:14 PM »
yeah these guys have been making 1911s their whole life and generation techniques pass, down, such a shame their talents are on the wrong side, but i believe some of them do get hired if they apply but there would be too much people, i think i seen another documentary before about danao, philipines and how gunsmiths there are, im amazed they build a quality looking 1911 from scrap metal, the father in the ghost gun documentary said hes been making guns for over 20+ years if i remember correctly from his age when he started at 22 to current. lol i was thinking of hiring these guys to do custom 1911s cause its cheap lol, i would provide the frames and actual quality parts and they can hand fit everything very nicely. but im only speculating on there experience, it takes them quite a while to produce a 1911. theres also all kinds of homemade weapons that are easy to build, even easier than 1911s, like the Luty smg, and Mac 10/11 copies are quite simple as well

one2boost

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 04:20:13 PM »
My grandfather had a couple of chrome plated 1911 pistols in the Phillipines.  He passed away, my dad asked about these pistols and other firearms.  It must have been one of these "ghost guns" because they just disappeared. 

With all the hand made collector knives and those funky Jeepneys, I am not surprised at what some very motivated people in the Phillipines could do with basic hand tools in the backyard and of course, time.

K30l4

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 08:20:30 AM »
I wanted to watch the video, but it's now removed. What is the title of the video?

one2boost

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 08:31:50 AM »
I found the actual show from National Geographic website.  To watch the video I had to login with my cable company account.

s197

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 09:00:40 AM »
I wanted to watch the video, but it's now removed. What is the title of the video?
Underground, inc. I believe

K30l4

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 09:57:35 AM »
Cool. I'll go look now. Mahalo

s197

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 10:31:59 AM »
Cool. I'll go look now. Mahalo
It's a series that covers all sorts of topics so you need to search specifically for the ghost gun episode.

K30l4

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 12:03:52 PM »

K30l4

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 03:53:49 PM »
Wow. That link that I posted is also shut down. I had a chance to watch it. El Chiquito is pretty hard core.