Response from Chief Kealoha re: destruction of HPD firearms (Read 3551 times)

Tom_G

Response from Chief Kealoha re: destruction of HPD firearms
« on: September 02, 2015, 07:46:05 PM »
Well, at least they wrote back.

The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

dogman

Re: Response from Chief Kealoha re: destruction of HPD firearms
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 08:33:47 PM »
"However, in this case the HPD did not want the firearms sold to the general public and end up on the streets of Honolulu"   >:( The letter is dated August 31, how do they not see how wrong that phrase is?  :( It is an insult to his own department and law abiding citizens.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 09:07:42 PM »
well, at least we got an answer, we may not like it but it is still an answer.

matt0137

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 09:54:33 PM »
well, at least we got an answer, we may not like it but it is still an answer.

This isn't an answer...it's a form letter. I got the exact same letter today and I'm sure Tom G and I didn't write the same thing or bring up the same points. All this is is a restatement of their original position. An "answer" would have addressed the issues we raised to the original position.

Q

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 10:21:19 PM »
Will we be forwarding this to NRA-ILA and other 2a news groups?

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 12:18:37 AM »
This isn't an answer...it's a form letter. I got the exact same letter today and I'm sure Tom G and I didn't write the same thing or bring up the same points. All this is is a restatement of their original position. An "answer" would have addressed the issues we raised to the original position.

I guess I just understand it to mean they want as few guns on the street as possible.

mauidog

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 12:32:04 AM »
I guess I just understand it to mean they want as few guns on the street as possible.

The only people I ever see with their "guns on the streets" are criminals and Cops, which together make up a minority of all gun owners.
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.   -- Jeff Cooper

Drakiir84

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 07:48:08 AM »
I got the same form letter response.  I responded with the following.

"Handguns are already purchasable by the public and don't end up on the streets because the law-abiding gun owners of Hawaii actually follow the law.  What makes these guns different from the hundreds of thousands of handguns that we already own?  There is no justification for the destruction of these weapons other than the unfounded hoplophobia that our head officials seem to exhibit.  I appreciate the response but frankly the response is a pathetic cop-out, pun intended."
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

dustoff003

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 09:14:54 AM »
I wonder what the Honolulu Police Commission has to say about this they hire and fire The Chief?

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 10:37:55 AM »
I got the same form letter response.  I responded with the following.

"Handguns are already purchasable by the public and don't end up on the streets because the law-abiding gun owners of Hawaii actually follow the law.  What makes these guns different from the hundreds of thousands of handguns that we already own?  There is no justification for the destruction of these weapons other than the unfounded hoplophobia that our head officials seem to exhibit.  I appreciate the response but frankly the response is a pathetic cop-out, pun intended."

I doubt they are going to engage people in a back and forth. pretty sure they are going to give there answer once and stick to it. They want as few guns on the street as possible and if these guns are sold there is a chance some will end up on the streets. Not because responsible citizens are going to go out and commit crimes per se but because criminals do steal guns from responsible citizens. I don't agree with their choice but at least they gave an answer instead of just ignoring us.

OpenCarryHawaii

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 12:29:30 AM »
I got the same letter. :grrr:  My feeling is that they couldn't account for missing/stolen guns on the inventory. Selling the guns would have brought attention to the fact they didn't have all the guns they were supposed to have. By destroying all the guns, problem solved.  When I read the part about keeping guns off the street, I thought, if they believe that, all gun sales should be outlawed. How much crime is associated with legal gun ownership?  We have to go through so much verification to purchase.  Do they check to see if the people they sell used cop cars/motorcycles to have bad driving records? DUIs? etc.? Probably not... 
In God we trust.
Legalize the Constitution!