308 Load with Titegroup (Read 9870 times)

dogman

308 Load with Titegroup
« on: October 10, 2016, 09:27:02 PM »
I picked up some 308 processed brass from Kaleo Arms at the gun show. I have never loaded 308 before so I checked out the Hodgdon site and was surprised to see Titegroup as a powder choice. I checked other sites and not many have tried it, and some thought the OP misread the data. Just out of curiosity has anyone tried this for a "light load"?

KaleoArms

Re: 308 Load with Titegroup
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 10:09:20 PM »
I haven't loaded with Titegroup powder for rifle or pistol rounds, but I've used CFE223 and XBR8208 for 308 loads.  I looked at one of the reloading 2016 magazines I had sitting around my house that also had a condensed Hodgdon's reloading manual at the end.  For light loads, it suggested using Trail Boss, Lil'Gun, H4198, H322, Benchmark, H335, H4895, Varget, BL-C(2), CFE223, and Lever revolution.  Titegroup was also listed as light duty but for pistol rounds only. 
http://www.kaleoarms.com/hawaii-ammunition
Ammunition to Hawaii
Reloading brass

oldfart

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 11:18:32 PM »
Not sure about that tg load in 308, but it's not uncommon for vintage rifle shooters to use pistol powder in rifle cartridges using cast lead bullets.
The usual method is to drop the powder and place a tuft of kapok in the shell to keep the miniscule powder charge pressed up to the primer.

Maybe that subsonic reduced load was for a suppressed bolt gun.
What, Me Worry?

Heavies

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 04:54:53 AM »
What purpose did you want to use the load for?   

oldfart

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 05:40:50 AM »
Oh, I think dogman was just curious about the data.
If you look at the website, the bullet specified is a 168 gr match hollow pt bullet at about 1000 fps.
That leads me to believe that particular load was worked up for a supressed bolt gun.
What, Me Worry?

dogman

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 05:52:21 AM »
Yes oldfart is correct. I have no purpose other than curiosity for this load. The Hodgdon site list only one load - 168 grain Sierra HPBT - 8 grains Titegroup - 1080 ft/sec. I was just surprised, actually shocked, to see Titegroup published in a rifle load by Hodgdon.

Heavies

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 07:33:43 AM »
Yes oldfart is correct. I have no purpose other than curiosity for this load. The Hodgdon site list only one load - 168 grain Sierra HPBT - 8 grains Titegroup - 1080 ft/sec. I was just surprised, actually shocked, to see Titegroup published in a rifle load by Hodgdon.

Yeah, I feel you.  Too bad Hawaii has a outright ban on suppressors. If we could have such things a 168 going 1080 would be nice...  but @ ~.36 cents a boolit, unsuppressed would be a waste.    ;D

asinapple8805

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 05:46:17 AM »
Not sure about that tg load in 308, but it's not uncommon for vintage rifle shooters to use pistol powder in rifle cartridges using cast lead bullets.
The usual method is to drop the powder and place a tuft of kapok in the shell to keep the miniscule powder charge pressed up to the primer.

Maybe that subsonic reduced load was for a suppressed bolt gun.

I didn't know that kapok was a good filler. That's some good info.

Inspector

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 01:05:56 PM »
Oh, I think dogman was just curious about the data.
If you look at the website, the bullet specified is a 168 gr match hollow pt bullet at about 1000 fps.
That leads me to believe that particular load was worked up for a supressed bolt gun.
Hey OF!!! Long time no see!!!
There are a lot of these "Cookbook" recipes running around for those of us that want an accurate low recoil and low cost load that won't wear out and stress out the old war horse. These loads are typically good/accurate out to 100 yards or so using a lead boolit. For paper punching or gong ringing purposes. Normally, I see Unique, Red Dot and Green Dot used but TiteGroup has been around long enough that it has become quite a favorite for some of us for these types of loads. I prefer to stick with the loads officially published by reputable sources such as Hodgdon instead of getting them from an unknown source from the Internet.

For my light loads I tend to use Titegroup, Trail Boss, IMR 4198 and H4895. I stick to the published data from Hodgdon and the Lyman Cast Bullet Reloading Manuals. Sticking with published data is a little tougher as it means I have to keep a few different types of powders and I use more than what a "Cookbook" recipe might call for. It usually means running around 1,400fps on up for ~30 cal rifles instead of the ~1,000fps using a pistol or shotgun powder. It also means a higher cost. It also means I have less of a chance of a double charge or over pressure situations. But that is just my preference. If I had a chronograph (I will be getting one soon) I would be playing around with TiteGroup and the Dots for developing my own recipes.

One of our members uses around 8 or 9 grains of Green Dot for his loads for his 1903 Springfield and it is as accurate as just about any other load I have ever used in my 1903A3.

I see somewhat reduced loads published (and on the Internet) sometimes using IMR 4895, 4064 and 3031. However, Hodgdon is very specific in their whitepapers about reduced loads using only H4895 and Trail Boss. Now with this posting I see they are experimenting with TiteGroup in this same role. It is time to start playing around with some TiteGroup Loads......  ;) ;) ;)
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

oldfart

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 09:02:13 AM »
Hey OF!!! Long time no see!!!
There are a lot of these "Cookbook" recipes running around for those of us that want an accurate low recoil and low cost load that won't wear out and stress out the old war horse. These playing around with some TiteGroup Loads......  ;) ;) ;)
Gee inspector....
you're like a venereal disease.
just when you think it's gone, it's baacckk
 :rofl:
What, Me Worry?

Rocky

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 11:39:24 AM »
Gee inspector....

DUDE !

Stop going back to the source ! :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake:
 :wave:boys
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Inspector

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 05:19:34 AM »
Gee inspector....
Gee OF, I have been called a lot of things in my life but never a venereal disease. I guess I am one of those resistant strains that can't be killed.  :shake: :shake: :shake:

oldfart

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 08:41:25 AM »
Gee OF, I have been called a lot of things in my life but never a venereal disease. I guess I am one of those resistant strains that can't be killed.  :shake: :shake: :shake:
=============
If there ever was a good venereal disease, you're it. :thumbsup: :rofl: :wave: :worship: :shaka:

good to see you typing again...
I heard you gave the rifle shooters a good laugh a couple weeks ago when you announced how sad you were that Hillary lost
What, Me Worry?

Heavies

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 08:42:11 AM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:    :wave:

Inspector

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 08:55:36 AM »
=============
If there ever was a good venereal disease, you're it. :thumbsup: :rofl: :wave: :worship: :shaka:

good to see you typing again...
I heard you gave the rifle shooters a good laugh a couple weeks ago when you announced how sad you were that Hillary lost
I guess my venereal disease name would be: Gono-cock-a-cock-us  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Geez I see the coconut wireless is still working as good as ever. WAA WAA WAA WAA HILLARY LOST WAA WAA WAA WAA

oldfart

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 09:09:01 AM »
I guess my venereal disease name would be: Gono-cock-a-cock-us  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Geez I see the coconut wireless is still working as good as ever. WAA WAA WAA WAA HILLARY LOST WAA WAA WAA WAA

============
So funny, yet so sad that people are dumb enough to think that one man is going to destroy our country...

ok back to topic
 :stopjack: :stopjack: :stopjack: :stopjack: :stopjack:
What, Me Worry?

Inspector

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 09:24:51 AM »
After researching using Titegroup for rifle rounds I see Hodgdon also lists Titegroup for .223 Remington as well. I am a big Titegroup fan and I will play around with these two loadings as listed on the Hodgdon's website. But I doubt I will play around with other Titegroup loads in rifle cartridges. Just not a big fan of using fast burning pistol powders for use in rifle cartridges for economic reasons. There are much better choices IMHO.

BTW, these loadings also show up in the Lee Reloading Manual 2nd Edition.

mrgaf

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2017, 03:08:51 PM »
============
So funny, yet so sad that people are dumb enough to think that one man is going to destroy our country...

ok back to topic
 :stopjack: :stopjack: :stopjack: :stopjack: :stopjack:

hmmmmm sounds bad! I heard they found gay and lesbian dinosaur  fossils in San Francisco........ The UCLA has named them "Megasaurass and Likalottapus".......... :worship: :wtf: :rofl: :shake: :wacko: :thumbsup: :shaka:

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.