HIFICO 2020 Legislature Firearms Bills(see 1st post) (Read 43381 times)

zippz

HIFICO 2020 Legislature Firearms Bills(see 1st post)
« on: January 15, 2020, 07:23:20 PM »
Mahalo to all the modern day minutemen who came out to the Capitol to stop infringements on our 2nd Amendment rights. 2-27-2020

Here are the bills I screened.  Please let me know if I missed any.  This is constantly updated

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iYuzDfCN8SvUH3lfqeXrvcv5NVSQeuq57eNbTZP2VoQ/edit?usp=sharing

All the opportunities you had to supply testimony for each currently active bill:

Videos on how the bills become law, how to testify, and how to look up bills go to:
https://lrb.hawaii.gov/par/engagement-101
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 09:20:55 PM by zippz »
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

changemyoil66

Re: HIFICO 2020 Legislature Firearms Bills
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 09:30:48 AM »
Thanks Zipps

zippz

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 06:03:15 PM »
Initial batch of bills are listed in the table, still 4 more days of introductions.  Many of these gun control bills were written by HPD.

HB1598 re: carry permits has a couple of good elements to it such as being valid statewide instead of by county, and AG approves (I know) permits instead of the chiefs.  However the bad far outweights the good as fees go up to $100 per year and it requires a firearms safety class every year.  This could also be used to derail the Young v Hawaii open carry case as the AG has been pushing the chiefs to issue some permits to invalidate the lawsuit.

HB1599 gets rid of the 1 year long gun permit so you must apply each time like with handguns.

HB1600 eliminates the 15/75 day loaning of firearms.  This affects hunters, loaning guns to friends, loaning guns for someone to defend themselves, spouses w/o dual registration etc.  This also eliminates the last chance for those under 21 to posses a firearm on their own.

HB1615.  I'm neutral on this bill as I don't think more laws are needed, however I understand the reason.  I would like to amend it to exclude your property and place of sojourn instead of just your dwelling.

HB1733  Restricts 80% receivers and requires them to be sold with a serial number and with a permit.  There have been crimes commited with 80%s recently.  However still opposed to this bill because people should be able to buy it freely and the government officials aren't doing their job to keep criminals locked away.

HB1736  Rifle mags >10 rounds.  Everyone better show up in person at the committee hearing to oppose this.

HB1790  Stand your ground.  Looks pretty good...I'm surprised this came up from  representative. :thumbsup:

Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

zippz

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 11:37:14 AM »
Tracker is updated with all the bills to date.  Last day for bill introductions is Thursday.  Too many to go over, look at the list.

zippz

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 09:25:11 PM »
Updated again.  First committee referrals came out and it's not good with a single referral in the House to JUD.  It makes the bills easier to pass and reduces some of our already slight chances of stopping them.

Got bills for US Nationals from American Samoa and my HB2479/SB2728 bill which reimburses attorneys fees and stuff if you're found not guilty due to self-defense which should be agreeable to most.  Theres Rhoads bill which requires you to report firearms moved out of state.

drck1000

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 10:01:32 PM »
HB 1736 (10 runs capacity) cites stuff from Gifford et al. Can someone link studies that counter that? I found one from Cato.org, but haven’t vetted the info.

Any links to studies about impact, or lack thereof, of the 1994 AWB, which I believe included restrictions on mag capacity.

6716J

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 09:24:55 AM »
Updated again.  First committee referrals came out and it's not good with a single referral in the House to JUD.  It makes the bills easier to pass and reduces some of our already slight chances of stopping them.

Got bills for US Nationals from American Samoa and my HB2479/SB2728 bill which reimburses attorneys fees and stuff if you're found not guilty due to self-defense which should be agreeable to most.  Theres Rhoads bill which requires you to report firearms moved out of state.

So with the added sentence  (e)  Every person who permanently moves firearms out of the State shall contact the department where the firearms are registered to notify such department that the firearms have been moved out of State within five days of having been removed from the State. will HoPo or other PD send you an official statement that they have removed the registered firearms from their roles? Otherwise it's moot. Also, this is just a crap move as they have no jurisdiction over you once you leave the state.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

6716J

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 09:29:26 AM »
I think we should all support this one

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2020/bills/SB2201_.HTM

Go to Home Depot and make a $20 pipe shotgun and turn it in for $200 or whatever will be

SB2201

A BILL FOR AN ACT

RELATING TO FIREARMS.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF HAWAII:

SECTION 1.  (a)  The department of public safety shall establish a voluntary firearm buyback center in each county in the State.  Each center shall adopt a "no questions asked" policy and allow citizens to turn in any unwanted firearm in return for compensation. 

(b)  The department shall adopt rules in accordance with chapter 91 to implement this section.

SECTION 2.  There is appropriated out of the general revenues of the State of Hawaii the sum of $           or so much thereof as may be necessary for fiscal year 2020-2021 for the establishment of a firearm buyback center in each county in the State.

The sum appropriated shall be expended by the department of public safety for the purposes of this Act.

SECTION 3.  This Act shall take effect on July 1, 2020.

INTRODUCED BY:

tillamook

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 09:32:05 AM »
SB2635

wow, cant buy ammo unless you demonstrate you own the registered firearm for which the ammo is for. 

6716J

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 09:43:46 AM »
SB2635

wow, cant buy ammo unless you demonstrate you own the registered firearm for which the ammo is for.

Sorry sir, you can't buy gas for that car unless you can prove you own it

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 10:04:50 AM »
HB 1736 (10 runs capacity) cites stuff from Gifford et al. Can someone link studies that counter that? I found one from Cato.org, but haven’t vetted the info.

Any links to studies about impact, or lack thereof, of the 1994 AWB, which I believe included restrictions on mag capacity.

Study for Congress and follow-up studies – The congressionally-mandated study of the federal “assault weapon” and
“large” magazine “ban” concluded that “the banned guns were never used in more than a modest fraction of all gun
murders” before the ban, and the ban’s 10-round limit on new magazines wasn’t a factor in multiple-victim or multiple-
wound crimes.[21] A follow-up study concluded that “AWs [assault weapons] and LCMs [large capacity magazines]
were used in only a minority of gun crimes prior to the 1994 federal ban,” “relatively few attacks involve more than 10
shots fired,” and “the ban’s effects on gun violence are likely to be small at best and perhaps too small for reliable
measurement.”[22] Another follow-up study found “gunshot injury incidents involving pistols [many of which use magazines
that hold more than 10 rounds] were less likely to produce a death than those involving revolvers [which typically hold five
or six rounds]” and “the average number of wounds for pistol victims was actually lower than that for revolver victims.”[23]
In 2018, the RAND Corporation released a study that surveyed the available research on the effects of bans on “assault
weapons” and “large” capacity magazines. The study found no conclusive evidence that such bans have an effect on mass
shootings or violent crime.[24]

https://www.nraila.org/get-the-facts/assault-weapons-large-magazines/
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 10:11:17 AM »

zippz

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2020, 06:28:39 AM »
List updated. We are up to insane levels this year that my breath would be wasted trying to explain it.  Please attend our legislative meeting tonight to learn more.

zippz

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2020, 11:42:57 AM »
First hearing is up for Senate Public Safety this Thursday 115pm at the State Capitol room 229.  We will be asking for testimony on the HIFICO page or do it on the capitol webpage.

We need as many of you to take the afternoon off to attend the hearing in person to testify.  This is our best chance at stopping the rifle mag ban and others.

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2020/hearingnotices/HEARING_PSM_02-06-20_.HTM

DO IT.....DO IT NOW!

https://hifico.org/PSM0206/

« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 10:59:06 PM by zippz »

ren

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2020, 10:21:47 PM »
amended SB 2519 SD1
  (1)  Prohibiting the possession of large-capacity magazines for all types of firearms, unless it was legally in possession of an individual prior to this Act;

(2) Requiring every person in the State who was in possession of a detachable ammunition magazine prior to this Act to register the magazine with the appropriate county police department; and

(3)  Prohibiting the sale, barter, trade, gift, transfer, or acquisition, except by means of inheritance, of a detachable ammunition magazine that was legally in an individual's possession prior to this Act and requiring the inheritor to update the registration with the appropriate county police department.

What the pho?!!! :grrr:

we outnumbered the red shirts and our testimony was OVERWHELMINGLY against. Baker and Nishihara basically showed ALL OF US the middle finger :grrr:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 10:30:08 PM by ren »
Deeds Not Words

ren

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2020, 10:26:26 PM »
in summary the Legislators screwed us on ammunition licenses and magazines...if  I read it right... :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr:
Deeds Not Words

zippz

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2020, 10:37:46 PM »
in summary the Legislators screwed us on ammunition licenses and magazines...if  I read it right... :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr:

Senate Public Safety watered down these two bills a lot.  They hate grandfathering magazines and HPD will not like registering a quarter million magazines.  Also the ammunition bill is so watered down that it's pretty much useless for what they wanted it for.  You can tell they are being pressured hard to pass anything to show the public something is being done about gun violence.

Our rally and testifying made a big difference.  We came very close to defeating the magazine ban, and to a lesser degree the ammo checks.  Any other time we would've defeated it.

Unfortunately Rhoads will probably remove the amendments.

Heavies

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2020, 10:48:17 PM »
Registration of magazines ain't going to happen...  nope

drck1000

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2020, 11:02:45 PM »

we outnumbered the red shirts and our testimony was OVERWHELMINGLY against. Baker and Nishihara basically showed ALL OF US the middle finger :grrr:

Re: Baker (Ms. it’s not the outer island, and prob the only part she was actually paying attention)

2008 Baker won the September 20, 2008 Democratic Primary with 2,646 votes (67.2%),[14] and won the November 4, 2008 General election with 8,506 votes (53.7%) against Republican nominee Jan Shields.

How much to run ads in Maui? :hmm:

zippz

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2020, 11:12:08 PM »
Thursday is the First Lateral deadline where all bills with 2 or more committee hearings needed (joint committees count as 1 hearing) will die.  Though there are always ways around things.

Last weeks Senate PSM reports are out.  SB2519 Mag ban passed by a very narrow margin w/grandfathering and magazine registration.  SB2635 Ammo checks is watered down to the point of being useless(more so than before) where they just check your firearms training documents instead of firearms registration forms when buying ammo.  They went draconian with SB2437 Legalizing electric guns by amending it to have the same seller and buyer requirements as firearms ie permitting, registration, store FFL like requirements, etc.  SB3054 requiring notice to PD within 5 days of a firearm permanently leaving the state had it's penalty removed which saves many servicemembers and other law abiding citizens from getting a criminal history for forgetting to report it.  SB2943 Ghost gun bill is dead so odds are the House version will die in the Senate too later on.  SB3053 .50 Caliber ban is also dead so your muskets and Desert Eagles are safe for now.

The turnout and testimonies from last week Thursday's senate hearing did make a difference.

Still waiting for the House reports to come in though the HB1600 loaning firearms ban is dead, probably thanks to Rep Buenaventura.  Companion SB2811 hasn't been in Senate committee so loaning is ban is probably dead.  HB1615 intoxication is dead which surprised me.   Also dead are HB2710 for unconstitutional search for firearms and HB2631 on having HPD check everyone's mental health record some more.

Unfortunately HIFICO's 2 sponsored bills are going to die without a committee hearing HB2479 and SB2728 reimbursing legal fees and lost wages for innocent due to self defense verdicts.  I was hoping it would get a good discussion and be accepted by a lot of people but not this year.  Still have 2 stand your ground bills which could come up later.