URGENT - Those who have been fighting for KHSC improvements (Read 8751 times)

macsak

Re: URGENT - Those who have been fighting for KHSC improvements
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2021, 09:32:37 PM »
mahalo Q

Given the interest and number of people who agreed to participate (that I personally know have been working on the range) and because Mrs. Tupola is getting busy with her schedule, I contacted her and she agreed to a meeting on Wednesday, March 17th at 6pm. This gives us 2 weeks to plan and prepare.

I will be confirming attendence numbers for her by those who replied on the thread thus far and will be provide a link to those individuals via PM when I receive it from Mrs. Tupola. If you don't want to publicly list yourself as attending, send me a PM.

We have 2 weeks, so please use the time to coordinate with each other to identify the main priorities for the range and plans/ideas that could be realistically implemented. We have our wants for the range, but we need to focus on the needs that can easily justified as necessities, especially given the current situation with state and county budgeting. Again, focus on priorities that can benefit everyone who uses or will/could the range and think of solutions that can be implemented.

If you do not have zoom, please download it ahead of time.

Finally, I have reassured Mrs. Tupola that we are encouraging professionalism and civility from attendees during this meeting, and any unnecessary or belligerent talk or arguments will not be tolerated. If any unproductive or unprofessional behavior is identified, I'm giving Mrs. Tupola full reign to remove those individuals from the meeting. I invested a lot of time and effort building a good relationship with Mrs. Tupola and am very grateful she is willing to at least hear us out, so I don't want this conversation turning into arguments or name calling that is so common on 2ahawaii threads. She is the link to the city city council that we have been waiting for, because she genuinely cares and wants to help. Do not blow this opportunity. If you feel you can't control your issues or anger enough to hold a civil conversation, please do not attend.

zippz

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2021, 10:06:44 PM »
I'll be there on March 17th.  I also have a paid zoom meetings and zoom webinar (easier to manage people on) if you want to use it.

I attached slides that I made a while back with some ideas for the range.  There's also a report the NRA did a decade ago and I have some other resources and pictures I took of other ranges.

Funding is going to be a key part as even the most basic of things will cost a lot of money.  The city put a million dollars into Koko Head last year, not sure if it was just the range or the entire Koko Head District Park.  That money just fixed the backstops.  Doing extensive changes like what I have in my slides would probably cost like $15+ million, likely  more.  And the City would probably want it self-sustaining.  Hawaii DLNR manages the Pittman Robertson funds it which provide up to a 75% Federal/25% state match but Feds won't match the whole amount and it competes with the proposed Kauai and Big Island ranges.  The KHSC annual usage count was 70,000 including LE a few years ago.  So a $10 range fee would get you $700,000 a year +  $100,000 in other funds.  Current staffing and maintenance should be around $400,000 a year.  Hanauma Bay supposidly helps fund the range, but not sure if they got this issue fixed.  https://www.civilbeat.org/2016/11/city-still-misuses-funds-from-hanauma-bay-group-says/

All the range managers and developers I talked recommended moving KHSC to another location for safety and expansion.  But I don't see that ever happening.  We can't even get a new landfill and jail built.

Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Q

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2021, 10:36:54 PM »
I'll be there on March 17th.  I also have a paid zoom meetings and zoom webinar (easier to manage people on) if you want to use it.

I attached slides that I made a while back with some ideas for the range.  There's also a report the NRA did a decade ago and I have some other resources and pictures I took of other ranges.

Funding is going to be a key part as even the most basic of things will cost a lot of money.  The city put a million dollars into Koko Head last year, not sure if it was just the range or the entire Koko Head District Park.  That money just fixed the backstops.  Doing extensive changes like what I have in my slides would probably cost like $15+ million, likely  more.  And the City would probably want it self-sustaining.  Hawaii DLNR manages the Pittman Robertson funds it which provide up to a 75% Federal/25% state match but Feds won't match the whole amount and it competes with the proposed Kauai and Big Island ranges.  The KHSC annual usage count was 70,000 including LE a few years ago.  So a $10 range fee would get you $700,000 a year +  $100,000 in other funds.  Current staffing and maintenance should be around $400,000 a year.  Hanauma Bay supposidly helps fund the range, but not sure if they got this issue fixed.  https://www.civilbeat.org/2016/11/city-still-misuses-funds-from-hanauma-bay-group-says/

All the range managers and developers I talked recommended moving KHSC to another location for safety and expansion.  But I don't see that ever happening.  We can't even get a new landfill and jail built.

$15 mil sounds crazy, but it is actually not much when compared to other projects that were unnecessary and unwarranted. Perfect example was the park in Waimanalo that Caldwell tried to rush through and the majority of citizens didn't want; believe it amounted to $35 mil.

I think the potential to be partially or completely self-sustaining and potentially generate revenue for the C&C after an essentially small to average investment (compared to other projects) is a great opportunity that is hard to ignore. Like you said: +70k went to the range in it's current state, so imagine how many more might go if improvements were made and how much more potential revenue could result
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 10:51:39 PM by Q »

zippz

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2021, 11:54:32 PM »
$15 mil sounds crazy, but it is actually not much when compared to other projects that were unnecessary and unwarranted. Perfect example was the park in Waimanalo that Caldwell tried to rush through and the majority of citizens didn't want; believe it amounted to $35 mil.

I think the potential to be partially or completely self-sustaining and potentially generate revenue for the C&C after an essentially small to average investment (compared to other projects) is a great opportunity that is hard to ignore. Like you said: +70k went to the range in it's current state, so imagine how many more might go if improvements were made and how much more potential revenue could result

I have no clue what the cost would be in reality, probably considerably more than that now that I think about it.  Like for the rifle range it requires design, EIS, tearing down the firing line and leveling it, rebuilding the firing line, leveling it out to 200 or 250 yards, increasing the size of the backstop considerably, installing baffles.  Maybe that alone might be $10 to $15 million nowadays.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

zippz

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2021, 12:20:30 PM »
Should we have a prep meeting prior to the March 17th event to come up with ideas on what to present, information they'll want to hear, etc?

And anyone else you'd like to have attend?  NRA, committee from the last KHSC improvements attempt?  Hawaii On Target, DLNR, club representatives,  etc?

Q

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2021, 11:29:06 PM »
Should we have a prep meeting prior to the March 17th event to come up with ideas on what to present, information they'll want to hear, etc?

And anyone else you'd like to have attend?  NRA, committee from the last KHSC improvements attempt?  Hawaii On Target, DLNR, club representatives,  etc?

I think that would be a good idea so we can lay out main talking points; might also be good to have designated speakers to convey the main priorities that the majority agree on, and allow others in attendence to chime in as needed.

If other organizations would like to represent themselves, I'm sure it would be ok to have them attend. But again, the main thing is that we can present ideas and plans that will generally benefit everyone in some capacity. I would hate for this to turn in to organizations presenting their wish lists and complaining, only for nothing to get done.

If you want to schedule a meet, I'd be happy to attend

Tom_G

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2021, 05:53:04 PM »
Zippz, while your proposals are certainly stellar, I am aware of at least one other developed concept that goes much farther. It starts with subterranean parking then revamps the entire crater. Imagine what you could do with al that space! Sure, it's a pie-in-the-sky scenario, but why not aim high? I can reach out to the man who developed said plans, see if he's willing to share.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

zippz

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2021, 07:27:51 PM »
Zippz, while your proposals are certainly stellar, I am aware of at least one other developed concept that goes much farther. It starts with subterranean parking then revamps the entire crater. Imagine what you could do with al that space! Sure, it's a pie-in-the-sky scenario, but why not aim high? I can reach out to the man who developed said plans, see if he's willing to share.

Anything can be done at the range, it just depends how much money you have to spend.  We could do a double decker rifle range like they do with golf driving ranges.  Gotta set some kind of top end goal.  Though more realistically they won't spend the money.  Priorities would likely be building a classroom, renovations and safety improvements, 3rd bay...

There's an evaluation that the NRA made and some drawings Kevin Mulkern made, I gotta go find em.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 07:35:34 PM by zippz »

zippz

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2021, 07:31:24 PM »
We're having a pre-meeting this Wednesday at 6:30pm to prepare for the March 17th meeting.  Bring your ideas, not just top end but also the minimal like setting up an adopt the park, funding ideas, strategies, etc.  You can enter the meeting 10 minutes prior.

It'll be on Zoom video conference app, on phones and computers.  You can also call in audio only on the phone too.  Download the app and install it by clicking on the link.

Topic: KHSC Improvements Pre-meeting
Time: Mar 10, 2021 06:30 PM Hawaii

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/93625173738?pwd=M09nUFBuaC9JUHRtUjdDRU40WEpBdz09

Dial by your location
        +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
Meeting ID: 936 2517 3738
Passcode: 375834

macsak

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2021, 07:40:47 PM »
mahalo for setting up the zoom meeting tonight, zippz

:shaka: :shaka: :shaka:

We're having a pre-meeting this Wednesday at 6:30pm to prepare for the March 17th meeting.  Bring your ideas, not just top end but also the minimal like setting up an adopt the park, funding ideas, strategies, etc.  You can enter the meeting 10 minutes prior.

It'll be on Zoom video conference app, on phones and computers.  You can also call in audio only on the phone too.  Download the app and install it by clicking on the link.

Topic: KHSC Improvements Pre-meeting
Time: Mar 10, 2021 06:30 PM Hawaii

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/93625173738?pwd=M09nUFBuaC9JUHRtUjdDRU40WEpBdz09

Dial by your location
        +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
Meeting ID: 936 2517 3738
Passcode: 375834

zippz

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2021, 08:00:33 PM »

Tom_G

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2021, 08:33:30 AM »
I got disconnected from the pre-meeting by the weather. Did we reach any resolutions? Any action points I can act on?
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

macsak

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2021, 10:06:12 AM »
I got disconnected from the pre-meeting by the weather. Did we reach any resolutions? Any action points I can act on?

nope
actual meeting is where we will see how our suggestions are received

Q

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2021, 08:19:55 PM »
Audit of park spending, conditions, and park data.

https://www.honolulu.gov/rep/site/oca/oca_docs/DPR_Expenditures_Final_Report_060420.pdf

Isn't this related to district parks? KHSC, Hanauma bay and KH botanical garden don't fall under the KH District park

Q

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2021, 05:30:22 PM »
Aloha Everyone,

The zoom meeting with Andria Tupola has been finalized.

Macsak and Zippz have been designated as our primary voices in presenting concerns and issues with the range, as well as ideas and solutions for improvement. I did also suggest Andria open the forum following the initial presentation/discussion, but left it to her discretion.

I will be sending a link to those who previously expressed interest in attending. Please follow the instructions and register your attendence ahead of time.

If you have not posted in the forum or informed me directly that you want to attend, please send me a PM and I will get the info over to you.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 05:47:11 PM by Q »

ren

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2021, 05:42:07 PM »
 :shaka:
Deeds Not Words

macsak

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2021, 07:56:51 AM »
:shaka:

please send Q a pm if you are interested in attending and have not yet received a zoom link

Q

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2021, 01:35:09 PM »
Aloha Everyone,

Here is the link for the webinar for those who haven't reached out to me directly:

You are invited to a Zoom webinar.
When: Mar 17, 2021 06:00 PM Hawaii
Topic: "Community Discussion on Koko Head Shooting Range"

Register in advance for this webinar:
https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN__o_BN7VzTB6sBlv0bK9TMQ

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.