Gun Shop (Read 2523 times)

Oyabunsan

Gun Shop
« on: April 03, 2021, 04:43:54 PM »

In addition to fair pricing, location, and great customer service, what qualities of a gun and sporting shop our 2A community is looking for?  Or what do you appreciate most about our lgs?

Personally, I can think of the super nice shopkeepers who seem so happy to see me, those who are matter-of-fact and direct to the point when asked, and maybe one who I feel is always upset about something.  All are great. I somehow feel a bit of closeness to them for over the years that I’ve dealt with them and appreciation for the fact that they’re here faithfully serving the community.  If there’s anything that I may be looking for would be a gun shop and shooting range near my town in Wahiawa/Mililani/Haleiwa.  Fair pricing yes and it’s relative. 

A friend of mine in LV is currently in the process of setting up a gun shop with a shooting range.  We had several conversation over the past 6-8 months about how (un)profitable it is to run the business.  For the average lgs, it may pay the rent, salaries and your medical, but it is more of a public-service and the love for the sport rather than make-it-big. 

Do we have an appreciation day for our lgs already on going?  LGS annual appreciation day? 

robtmc

Re: Gun Shop
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 05:12:54 PM »
My local shopwas good for ammo, not so good with the small accesory stuff i would think would be high margin.

Went there a couple weeks ago, no ammo of course, but they had NO cleaning stuff like Hoppes, Sweets, etc.  Only some lubes.

i know they are small and do not want the inventory, but a good selection of guns (affiliated with Bud's I think) that may be there only until sold and than sent back?

No idea how shops like mine work.  Did buy a Glock and a lower years ago, so that and the ammo hopefully helped them.  But no cleaning supplies was not good.

ren

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 05:44:24 PM »
I won't go to 2 shops in Oahu. One requires a membership fee like Costco the other plain ripped me off.
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 06:18:31 PM »
One thing I'd assume a LGS could always sell would be cleaning and other type products that are difficult to have shipped here.  CLP, Hoppes, and the like are available online, but Amazon won't ship most of it due to "location restrictions."  If LGS's are out, it's frustrating.

I'll pay more for the convenience of buying locally over paying less and not being able to have it shipped!!     :geekdanc:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 06:24:06 PM by Flapp_Jackson »
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

robtmc

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 06:31:56 PM »
I'll pay more for the convenience of buying locally over paying less and not being able to have it shipped!!     

Why I was there at all.  Had some ancient Hoppes and 7.62.  Just thought i would give the guy some business.

Ended up buying some Montana copper remover online, his loss.

Inspector

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 02:43:43 AM »
While I lived there for 11 years, I got to know most of them pretty well. I appreciated these particular LGS in no particular order more than usual:

SEC - Keeps their prices as low as possible during the last panic buy. Keeps a call list for hard to get items. Caters to us reloaders. Staff is always very helpful. They had great deals at the gun shows. I bought a few guns from them.

Prime Sports - Henry is great! He would special order things for me and us old Fudds and his prices are reasonable. During the last panic buying I was getting 8lb jugs of the powder I needed and the high end 22 ammo I used. Just had to give him a lot of lead time. Bought a few guns from him at great prices. He was always very warm and welcoming to me and I visited his store often.

Young Guns - Their staff is usually very helpful. They carry some 22 ammo the other LGS does not. During the last panic, they were able to get IMR and Winchester powders when the other LGS were not able to. They cater to us reloaders. They were my go to place to get cleaning supplies. They offer a 10% discount for club affiliation. Their sales can be very good. They had great deals on primers at the gun shows.

OGC - They have good deals on bulk ammo. When I first moved to the islands he had powder buys which I was able to get in on. He also gave me a good price on a firearm that had to be special ordered from the Performance Center.

KGS - I would visit Daniel occasionally as I lived on the other side of the island. At the time I was building my AR’s and he always had parts and the bits and pieces I needed including mags. Any time I worked on that side of the island I would pay him a visit on the way home. While I didn’t buy a lot from him I tried to support him because he is a big supporter of the HRA.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Inspector

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 02:46:18 AM »
I won't go to 2 shops in Oahu. One requires a membership fee like Costco the other plain ripped me off.
I didn’t mention them in my list but I think I know which 2 you are referring to.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

oldfart

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 04:51:24 AM »
To the op.
No we do not have an appreciation day.
Is it a good idea? ..... maybe.

Why don't you run an idea up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes?
What, Me Worry?

stangzilla

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2021, 07:44:57 AM »
Good helpful service is good
Being able to use them for online ordering I like.

ren

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2021, 07:45:58 AM »
I didn’t mention them in my list but I think I know which 2 you are referring to.

you mentioned one of them
Deeds Not Words

Oyabunsan

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2021, 10:51:54 AM »

Doesn’t have to be extravagant or mind blowing appreciation... maybe an annual dinner for all interested with gift card prices to spend at the lgs. Or members could chip in for $1/member donation and I’ll find companies/individuals to make matching contributions, and we select a lgs to designate a local charity recipient of their choice, and make donation in the lgs name.

We can start there or maybe stop there. If not, and thinking ahead here, we venture out to get involved in the community directly.  How about a beach or park clean up?  I used to ride with the VW Club of HI in my ‘67 bug.  We did Keiki Gift Drive for HIS and meet ups at the zoo, etc. That was a lasting experience and even more so to the recipients. 

These are not new ideas but something I think we all can participate in as a group. 

Reach out to me if any member is interested in doing this or have a better idea we can pursue. 

PM is key!!!

drck1000

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2021, 04:20:53 PM »
In addition to fair pricing, location, and great customer service, what qualities of a gun and sporting shop our 2A community is looking for?  Or what do you appreciate most about our lgs?

SNIP
Fair pricing and honest service is what I look for.  If shops have folks that shoot as well, all the better, but not a requirement for me. 

I will shop at all of the LGS' on Oahu except for two or three.  They all have certain items that I want/need on occasion and will usually choose to spend a little more with them even it the item is available online for less.  I very much appreciate shops who are willing to listen and bring in the items that I want/need. 

That they support local 2a stuff is a bonus.  Some draw a hard line at that, but I will say from personal experience that some contribute a LOT behind the scenes. 

zippz

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2021, 04:28:40 PM »
Please ask the gun stores what they are doing to help with 2A activism in Hawaii.  I'm trying to get them to help but most do not and having dozens of customers asking them that would help.

There are many ways they can help.  Write testimony and talk to legislators.  Take people of influence to the range or give them a firearms class.  help out with boy scouts and other youth groups.  Help other organizations etc.

at minimum just getting the word out to everyone is something.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

ren

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2021, 06:28:29 PM »
I've seen Dale of Young Guns at pro 2A meetings and his words are very passionate about the 2A. I will support YG when I can. I find it difficult with this pandemic though with their wait outside till served.
Deeds Not Words

changemyoil66

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2021, 01:05:19 PM »
I've seen Dale of Young Guns at pro 2A meetings and his words are very passionate about the 2A. I will support YG when I can. I find it difficult with this pandemic though with their wait outside till served.

Right before Covid hit, Young guns was at every hearing.  They even offered to donate ammo if someone wanted to take a politician to the range.

I wont shop at most stores unless they do something for the cause.  There are only 2 that I will shop at who don't help the cause for personal reasons.