Protecting property... (Read 9934 times)

QUIETShooter

Re: Protecting property...
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2021, 09:52:56 AM »
Keep in mind the 911 recording can be used in court. And under stress, u may say something bad.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I hear you and agree 100%.  There's a lot of responsibility and discipline involved in gun ownership.  I am committed to these virtues and can only hope through training that when the time comes I do the right thing.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

drck1000

« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2021, 11:15:41 AM »
I hear you and agree 100%.  There's a lot of responsibility and discipline involved in gun ownership.  I am committed to these virtues and can only hope through training that when the time comes I do the right thing.
You seem like a very honorable person with high morals.  Good to have folks like you on the board.  Need more of ya.   :thumbsup:

changemyoil66

« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2021, 12:00:06 PM »

I hope you and everyone here has some kind of self defense insurance.  It can cost as little as a box of 9mm a month.  Because all it takes is an over zealous prosecutor or social pressure and you end up in a court room. Even though the law is on your side,i t will cost money for your defense.  And you don't want to go cheap, public defender route.  Unless you have to.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2021, 08:03:51 PM »
I hope you and everyone here has some kind of self defense insurance.  It can cost as little as a box of 9mm a month.  Because all it takes is an over zealous prosecutor or social pressure and you end up in a court room. Even though the law is on your side,i t will cost money for your defense.  And you don't want to go cheap, public defender route.  Unless you have to.

Makes me want to call my insurance agent and check whether my liability protection would come into play for a defensive shooting.

changemyoil66

« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2021, 08:11:49 PM »
Makes me want to call my insurance agent and check whether my liability protection would come into play for a defensive shooting.
If youre referring to homeowners, most exclude discharge of a firearm and may have a sub limit.

Best bet is to have your own.

Even insurance from an employer may vary...

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2021, 08:31:15 PM »

I can answer that.

Not if you hit the person you intended to stop and no one else.

Liability Insurance covers injury to others that you cause by accident or negligence.  Like someone slips on your steps, someone falls in your pool, or your dog bites someone (Beware of Dog signs don't protect you legally).

Liability Insurance will not cover someone else if you intentionally shoot them.  No different than if you drove you car into the ocean and filed a claim.  Intentional acts not covered.

Then there's the "who's covered" aspect.  Liability implies your insurance pays someone other than you.  You cause a car crash, liability coverage, which is mandatory, pays for the other driver's damages.  IF you have comprehensive (collision) coverage, they cover your damages, too, if it's your fault.

So, in the case of you shooting someone in self defense, who would they pay?  Not the person you shot, because it's not a "liability" claim -- the injury was intentional.  Not you, because they'd be paying the policy holder for an intentional act -- something insurance companies spend lots of money investigating every year to avoid doing.  Think arson...

This is why requiring gun owner insurance is such a farce.  The people calling for these laws don't get these facts.  They think you, as a danger to others, should have insurance that they, as potential victims, can file a claim to cover their loses.  Basically, you own a gun, you kill 10 people at work, the families of the victims get paid through insurance.  Easier than suing a shooter that commits suicide or dies from a Cop's bullet, right?  Only if the Insurance companies lose their minds and write policies for this.

I have heard of someone shooting and missing the first shot when their front door was kicked down.  That shot hit the neighbor's house across the street. Homeowner's Liability coverage paid for the repairs.  Luckily, no one there was injured.  That was accidental damage, though.

None of this covers you for legal fees, lost work, replacing a gun taken as evidence, etc.  That's what the Gun Owner's Insurance policies do such as USCCA.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2021, 09:25:42 PM »
My homeowners excludes intentional discharge. But ND is covered. So if 1 says they accidently shot the bad guy, they might have a claim. But u might be screwed legally in court.

Most self defense insurance wont pay if you're found guilty. But if u are guilty, is paying back the defense cost spent really on your priority list. Esp if u got 20 years in jail.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2021, 09:32:25 PM »
My homeowners excludes intentional discharge. But ND is covered. So if 1 says they accidently shot the bad guy, they might have a claim. But u might be screwed legally in court.

Most self defense insurance wont pay if you're found guilty. But if u are guilty, is paying back the defense cost spent really on your priority list. Esp if u got 20 years in jail.

So, if that is what happens, who gets the payout?  The shooter (you) or the shootee (bad guy)?  If you claim it was intentional, the bad guy has no claim.  If both you and he both say it was an accident, he would get paid -- but why would you claim that?  Is he blackmailing you?  Was your justification for the shooting questionable?  Is this supposed to be "hush money?"
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 09:37:29 PM by Flapp_Jackson »
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2021, 09:34:38 PM »
Makes sense.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 09:47:18 PM by changemyoil66 »

QUIETShooter

« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2021, 10:31:49 PM »
You seem like a very honorable person with high morals.  Good to have folks like you on the board.  Need more of ya.   :thumbsup:

I appreciate the compliment.  But I'm just a regular guy brought up from old-school parents.  My father used to always say "Eh boy, you no make me shame, you unna stan?"  Lol!  It literally equates to dirty lickins if I step out of line!

And I also believe your exemplary comments describe the majority of the members here. :shaka:

QUIETShooter

« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2021, 10:49:00 PM »

Yeah, I've been thinking about it for quite a while lately.  More so now that I'm retired, my wife will soon retire, and we are soon to be empty nesters.  My two oldest already have flown the coop and my youngest just bought herself a townhouse and will move in with her boyfriend soon.

I feel more vulnerable now with just me and the missus alone.  My paranoia (fueled by all this violence going on here and on the mainland) makes me contemplate something like USCCA.

I haven't gotten to finding out if these companies offer pricing for HD only, since our state doesn't issue CCW's and I don't have a CCW license in other states and am not interested since I don't travel   much to the mainland. 

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2021, 07:41:20 PM »
I can answer that.

Not if you hit the person you intended to stop and no one else.

Liability Insurance covers injury to others that you cause by accident or negligence.  Like someone slips on your steps, someone falls in your pool, or your dog bites someone (Beware of Dog signs don't protect you legally).

Liability Insurance will not cover someone else if you intentionally shoot them.  No different than if you drove you car into the ocean and filed a claim.  Intentional acts not covered.

Then there's the "who's covered" aspect.  Liability implies your insurance pays someone other than you.  You cause a car crash, liability coverage, which is mandatory, pays for the other driver's damages.  IF you have comprehensive (collision) coverage, they cover your damages, too, if it's your fault.

So, in the case of you shooting someone in self defense, who would they pay?  Not the person you shot, because it's not a "liability" claim -- the injury was intentional.  Not you, because they'd be paying the policy holder for an intentional act -- something insurance companies spend lots of money investigating every year to avoid doing.  Think arson...

This is why requiring gun owner insurance is such a farce.  The people calling for these laws don't get these facts.  They think you, as a danger to others, should have insurance that they, as potential victims, can file a claim to cover their loses.  Basically, you own a gun, you kill 10 people at work, the families of the victims get paid through insurance.  Easier than suing a shooter that commits suicide or dies from a Cop's bullet, right?  Only if the Insurance companies lose their minds and write policies for this.

I have heard of someone shooting and missing the first shot when their front door was kicked down.  That shot hit the neighbor's house across the street. Homeowner's Liability coverage paid for the repairs.  Luckily, no one there was injured.  That was accidental damage, though.

None of this covers you for legal fees, lost work, replacing a gun taken as evidence, etc.  That's what the Gun Owner's Insurance policies do such as USCCA.

Good points on what to ask about my existing policy.

I had considered an umbrella policy but hadn't asked about that type of thing.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2021, 10:27:27 PM »
Good points on what to ask about my existing policy.

I had considered an umbrella policy but hadn't asked about that type of thing.

If I understand umbrella policies, they are meant to increase the coverage limits of your auto, home and liability policies.  So, it's cheaper, and often required, for you to increase the limits of your existing policies before trying to get an umbrella policy.

$1M coverage can run $150-$300/year not including your base policies' premiums.

Umbrella policies are for those who want the peace of mind that their insurance can cover much more liability and legal payments than their existing policies.  Say you hit a woman in a crosswalk, and she'll never work again.  Your $500K payout from your auto policy won't cover the medical bills plus her lost income -- let's go with $1.2M total. 

Your auto policy would pay the first $500K, and you'd be personally liable for the remainder, if not in current assets, perhaps in garnished wages for the rest of your working life.

The Umbrella policy would cover the $700K over the auto policy limit PLUS any additional legal expenses incurred.

I doubt any umbrella policy adds additional coverage like use of firearms. 

I used to get a rider on my homeowners to cover high value items like jewelry.  After a few years, it was obvious I could have put that money in the bank and used it to replace my jewelry in less than 10 years of paying the extra premiums.  An umbrella policy could be used to supplement your coverage of such items, including firearms, if they don't require adding a rider to the policy first.  Firearms coverage on my policy is pretty low, I think in the $2000 range.
-- Melvin Udall