Holsters (Read 4131 times)

changemyoil66

Holsters
« on: July 08, 2021, 08:44:50 AM »
How many holsters for 1 gun do you guys go thru?

So I have 1 pistol and got a Serpa when I bought it.  Was super noob, so bought what ever was on the shelf.

Then got a G-code.  But ended up adding a WML later so needed a new one.

Then got a FalTac for the WML, but the hood release system sucks.

Ordered Safariland 6365 ALS/SLS systlem.

So no focus on the buy once cry once.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Holsters
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 01:10:08 PM »
How many holsters for 1 gun do you guys go thru?

So I have 1 pistol and got a Serpa when I bought it.  Was super noob, so bought what ever was on the shelf.

Then got a G-code.  But ended up adding a WML later so needed a new one.

Then got a FalTac for the WML, but the hood release system sucks.

Ordered Safariland 6365 ALS/SLS systlem.

So no focus on the buy once cry once.

Depends on the pistol.

There are lots of holster options out there, and not all fit every potential use you might have.  Buying more than one holster for a carry gun is not just for the "still looking for one that I like" crowd.  The pistols I use most get several holsters for various applications:  Concealed IWB, concealed OWB, competition, pocket, etc.

The ones I only practice with occasionally usually get just one, again depending on the intended application.

For example, my S&W 686+ 6" only has one brown leather OWB holster.  Same for all my revolvers but one, with the exception of one which is small enough to comfortably conceal.

My Sig P320 is pretty easy to carry any way I want, so I have different holsters with different designs and different retention "strengths".

I also have universal holsters that can be Velcroed into my 5.11 backpack concealed carry compartment, and attached to almost any surface (car, side table,...) for off-body quick access.

I, too, have a couple of Serpa holsters I bought from the NRA store before I knew what types I wanted.  Given the general disdain for Serpa at many training schools, I've not used either of them outside the house.

One of the best-feeling IWB holster systems I've used is the N8Tactical holster (formerly N82Tactical -- I guess there's just one "Nate" there now!).  You have a soft layer of suede next to your skin.  On top of that is a layer of Neoprene (rubber) to keep your body's moisture away from the gun.  Attached to the Neoprene is the gun holder that can be stretchy fabric or a piece of Polycarbonate formed to the shape of the pistol.  The suede & Neoprene layers are large enough to protect your skin from the pistol's grip -- a huge deal if you happen to have some very grippy grips with heavy stippling or Talon Grips.  It you're carrying all day, this holster gets some of the best reviews online/YouTube for comfort.

I have a N82 holster for each pistol I imagine would be a good conceal carry candidate.  With the Professional model holster that comes with the Polycarbonate, not only does it have a very good retention mechanism via the contours of the Polycarbonate, it's rigid enough to make one-handed re-holstering easy, and it's "tuckable", meaning you can tuck your shirt tail into your pants even though the holster clips to your belt.

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

pewpewgoesthegun

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 02:23:30 PM »
I, too, have a couple of Serpa holsters I bought from the NRA store before I knew what types I wanted.  Given the general disdain for Serpa at many training schools, I've not used either of them outside the house.

Stupid question time - what's wrong with Serpas?

drck1000

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 02:24:22 PM »
Similar to FJ, depends.  For me, mostly depends on what the gun is for.  And somewhat depends on how many options available for the gun.

My Glocks, that I've used for classes, training, competition, CCW, "back country insurance", etc.  I have lots.  Some that I've tried and didn't like, but many different types for different intended uses.  My first for my 17 was the 5.12 Thumbdrive holster.  I ended up selling it, but I did use it for competition and range sessions for a while.  It was good, but there were much better application specific holster options.  G-Code, Safariland, BladeTech, Comp-Tac, Raven, T-Rex, and probably more.  If anyone needs a holster for a 17, I am pretty sure I have an extra.   :P

I have a bunch of G-Code holsters, but mostly the OSH (OWB) with the RTI.  I've since mostly gone to Safariland for the attachment.  I still have a G-Code holster for my 17 and 34 that get used (or used to) here and there.  Good stuff. 

I have one holster each for my 1911 and M&P 45.  Not used that often. 

For my PPQ and CZ, I have a couple each.  Those are either competition or range day holsters. 

I would love a Kydex or G-Code type holster for my 686.  That would be a fun range day.  Bust out the speed loaders. 

macsak

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 02:44:51 PM »
Stupid question time - what's wrong with Serpas?

you have to extend your index finger near the trigger and press inwards to activate release
in some cases, you can press too hard and your finger goes into the trigger guard and may press the trigger rearward

pewpewgoesthegun

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 02:57:44 PM »
you have to extend your index finger near the trigger and press inwards to activate release
in some cases, you can press too hard and your finger goes into the trigger guard and may press the trigger rearward

Ah, makes sense...guess I need to find me another holster for my 1911. Any recommendations? I like the retention on the serpa.

raudi

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 03:11:51 PM »
Ah, makes sense...guess I need to find me another holster for my 1911. Any recommendations? I like the retention on the serpa.

Try looking at the bladetech thumb drive holsters. The release mechanism is by your thumb instead of near the trigger.

macsak

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 03:23:13 PM »
Try looking at the bladetech thumb drive holsters. The release mechanism is by your thumb instead of near the trigger.

lots of us use safariland ALS/SLS holsters, and some use the gcode rti attachments

macsak

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2021, 03:32:42 PM »
i have simple kydex OWB holsters for every hypothetical handgun i own
i have one retention holster (safariland) that fits the P30L, it will also fit the HK45, it got stuck twice last range day on the P30 (no focus). i think the VP9 doesn't get stuck...

drck1000

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2021, 04:29:41 PM »
lots of us use safariland ALS/SLS holsters, and some use the gcode rti attachments
Que?

I may have some random spare G-Code and RTI stuff.  I mean I still use one G-Code holster here and there, but primarily have been using the Safariland UBL with QLS. 

pewpewgoesthegun

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 05:00:02 PM »

Thanks, I'll go take a peek  :shaka:

i have simple kydex OWB holsters for every hypothetical handgun i own
i have one retention holster (safariland) that fits the P30L, it will also fit the HK45, it got stuck twice last range day on the P30 (no focus). i think the VP9 doesn't get stuck...

I'll keep that in mind... I pulled the trigger on a P30SK, so I'll have to look into a holster for her as well.

WTF?Shane

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2021, 05:18:42 PM »
Different holsters for different guns and applications. For general range use, I started off with pancake style holsters. The draw became awkward when wearing certain plate carriers. Then I tried one with a slight drop that used the Bladetech thumb drive. I felt like pushing inward while trying to grip the handgun felt unnatural, so I stopped using it and went with the Safariland ALS holsters.

changemyoil66

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2021, 05:20:51 PM »
Thats what i ordered. RTI hanger came in today.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2021, 05:26:38 PM »

One other potential issue besides your trigger finger pressing down when drawing is the design of the release button.  It's basically a lever with a space beneath it.  If something gets in that space (gravel, clothing, anything else), it can make it difficult or impossible to press the release and remove the pistol.

Besides the N8Tactical IWB holster, I also like a couple of others.

For OWB open carry, I like the SafariLand ALS system.  Thumb release, great retention strength, and the mechanics are inside the holster for the most part, making it unlikely foreign debris can interfere.

For OWB concealed and IWB concealed, I like the Alien Gear Shapeshift Modular system.  It has the parts to convert between IWB and OWB, has most belt slide or clip parts to choose from, and comes with lots of spare parts.  I like the stiff Kydex shell for re-holstering,   The retention is adjustable, using a thin metal plate to act as a spring.  Also, if you want to use the holster for multiple pistols, you can buy just the shell and use the rest of the kit that came with your first holster.

When looking for IWB, I don't want a mechanical retention system.  Just enough retention to keep the gun in the holster during running or bending down.  For OWB concealment, same requirements.  If you are concealing properly, there's little chance of someone grabbing the gun from your holster.

When open carrying, look for as much of a retention system as you are comfortable drawing from.  Too complicated can cause problems if you need to draw quickly.  For me, the ALS system is a good balance between speed and stopping someone else from removing it.
-- Melvin Udall

6716J

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2021, 05:28:10 PM »
I've got 2 Safariland 6378 ALS light bearing coming this week, so will find out how they work. One for an M&P9 (6378-2192-131) and the other for a P80 940C (6378-2832-551). Saw a couple videos where the 6378 will work with P80 with or without the light attached. If it works, awesome. If not it will be up for sale in the classified in 2 weeks. Also have the Safariland GLS 578 now but it doesn't work with lights. Good concept as how it retains by grabbing the front of the trigger guard and works with numerous guns. My 1911 fits it too (loosely), Kahr P40 does not.  All mounted on the UBL with QLS. Now the problem is getting to the range to try them.

Video of P80 6378 https://www.reddit.com/r/polymer80/comments/gtnpz1/just_a_video_of_my_p80_working_with_a_safariland/

Have some other kydex and bladetech friction retention holsters that are strict belt carry

I have one SERPA holster but I hide it like a retarded stepchild
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 06:11:22 PM by 6716J »
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2021, 05:33:41 PM »
I have one SERPA holster but I hide it like a retarded stepchild

Damn!  I thought this was the one thread where we didn't have to be reminded of OmniGrub!

I was going to put my SERPA holsters on the forum to try and sell, but I'm not sure it's worth the guilt of passing on something I wouldn't wish on a Democrat.
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2021, 06:06:07 PM »
Somebody ask about Serpas?

drck1000

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2021, 06:10:15 PM »
I have a few Safariland ALS holsters for various guns. 6354, T7(or something), with and w/o light. All good holsters. Some with RDS need a little tweaking, but nothing a dremel can’t take care of.

I used to have Safariland SLS holsters. But that damn fuzz liner eventually caused issues. Swell when wet, start peeling and causing binding, etc.  newer ones I got don’t have that liner.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2021, 06:14:06 PM »
Somebody ask about Serpas?

No matter how many times I see that "I just shot myself!" video, I can't help but applaud his John Wayne impression!

:geekdanc: :thumbsup:
-- Melvin Udall

6716J

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2021, 06:15:37 PM »
Damn!  I thought this was the one thread where we didn't have to be reminded of OmniGrub!

I was going to put my SERPA holsters on the forum to try and sell, but I'm not sure it's worth the guilt of passing on something I wouldn't wish on a Democrat.
Good job making me snort my drink out of my nose.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.