Howcome 9mm ammo is basically $50 for 50 rounds ?! (Read 4080 times)

glockfanboy808

Howcome 9mm ammo is basically $50 for 50 rounds ?!
« on: July 24, 2021, 07:18:48 PM »
Howcome 9mm ammo is basically $50 for 50 rounds ?! Just curious why the price is so high?!

Omglol

Re: Howcome 9mm ammo is basically $50 for 50 rounds ?!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 07:35:48 PM »
Prob shipping cost going up.  Fuel prices affect everything too.  Everyone trying to make money.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 07:39:52 PM »
Howcome 9mm ammo is basically $50 for 50 rounds ?! Just curious why the price is so high?!

It's due to buyers being willing & able to pay that price.  If you can't find it for less, you have the choice to pay the outrageous asking price or go without.

Sellers can ask for whatever the buyers are willing to pay.

The supply is also being snatched up by speculators, new shooters and people stockpiling ahead of more potential shortages & higher prices.  Shorter supplies facilitate even higher prices.  Then there's the rising cost of labor, raw materials, warehouse and manufacturing space, and transportation costs.  Whatever increase in prices they set get passed along to the consumer.

Ultimately the customer sets the price.  If nobody is willing to buy at crazy high prices, the sellers have to lower prices to a level buyers are willing and able to pay.

If you want a good model to study, look at the Cabbage Patch Kids and Beanie Babies crazes.  Those are good short term examples of what the ammo prices tend to do cyclicly.

#ECON101
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

stangzilla

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 09:22:55 AM »
He who knows patience, knows peace
And sometimes cheaper ammo too  O0

hvybarrels

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 09:35:56 AM »
There might be a window of cheaper ammo coming up, but if the Biden administration is saying that inflation is transitory you can bet it is permanent and about to get a whole lot worse

Then there are the images from South Africa of towns burned to the ground except where there were malitias protecting them after the police ran away (or joined in the looting themselves)

It could be a little peak into our future.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

changemyoil66

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 10:21:40 AM »
There might be a window of cheaper ammo coming up, but if the Biden administration is saying that inflation is transitory you can bet it is permanent and about to get a whole lot worse

Then there are the images from South Africa of towns burned to the ground except where there were malitias protecting them after the police ran away (or joined in the looting themselves)

It could be a little peak into our future.
And PD was running out of ammo. "No one needs 10,000 rounds".

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

groveler

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2021, 11:32:35 AM »
The Democrat Party dominated USA governments.
Others will blame cost of materials, transportation, and such, but it is the cost
of un-certainty, regulation, and  threats by government that cause manufacturers,
importers, and even banks to not want to meet market demands.
Expect it to get worse.
Once it gets into black market price ranges then prices will settle down as there
will then be plenty of supply.  Kind of like drugs.  They are a lot cheaper now
than they were in the 80's.
Once you get a market the governments can't regulate supply will catch up to demand.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2021, 12:33:02 PM »
Ammo makes a good bartering item after joe destroys law and order.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2021, 12:39:45 PM »
The Democrat Party dominated USA governments.
Others will blame cost of materials, transportation, and such, but it is the cost
of un-certainty, regulation, and  threats by government that cause manufacturers,
importers, and even banks to not want to meet market demands.
Expect it to get worse.
Once it gets into black market price ranges then prices will settle down as there
will then be plenty of supply.  Kind of like drugs.  They are a lot cheaper now
than they were in the 80's.
Once you get a market the governments can't regulate supply will catch up to demand.

Actually, it's a primary and secondary effect issue with the Dems in charge.

After the rampant lawlessness in many cities. pandemic shutdowns and uncertainty, people realized the police can't/won't protect them from mobs, looters, muggers, etc.  According to the "news", the US is heading toward a race war, civil war, or some other kind of war that will require we all be armed and trained to use those arms.

Because of that, record numbers of first time buyers armed themselves last year. (primary reaction)

Those people also bought ammo. (secondary effect)

That increased demand.  Add to that the same uneasiness caused current owners to increase ammo stockpiles.

The problem spiraled further and further as increasing demand for ammo and guns drove up prices and created a shortage.

Something we should add to the list is the shortage of primers affecting both manufacturers and reloaders. 

Also, 9mm is the most popular round for law enforcement, private security, and home/self defense.  In all ammo shortages, 9mm has been the first caliber to be sold out, and the slowest to come back in stock.

-- Melvin Udall

RSN172

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2021, 12:57:16 PM »

Also, 9mm is the most popular round for law enforcement, private security, and home/self defense.  In all ammo shortages, 9mm has been the first caliber to be sold out, and the slowest to come back in stock.

I guess I better hang on to my 9MM ammo. I just sold 1000 rds of .223 FMJ for $700 and was going to sell about 2-3000 rounds of 9MM for $500 a thousand.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2021, 01:14:54 PM »
I guess I better hang on to my 9MM ammo. I just sold 1000 rds of .223 FMJ for $700 and was going to sell about 2-3000 rounds of 9MM for $500 a thousand.

It all depends on how you feel about the future supply and prices.  It also depends on your personal needs for range ammo in the short term.

If you think the prices will eventually drop below $500/case, selling some of your ammo now would be a good move for you.  You can replace it for less cost and "refresh" your stockpile with newer ammo. 

If you think 9mm will never drop below $500/case again, then hang onto what you have.  Selling and buying it back at the same or higher price makes no sense.
-- Melvin Udall

RSN172

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2021, 01:57:59 PM »
I no longer use centerfire ammo for practice. I use my G19 BB gun clone for practice and for rifles I only shoot my 22LR.  To me, cf ammo is too valuable and expensive to spend on punching paper, but then again, I am not rich like a lot of you guys.

groveler

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2021, 02:46:24 PM »
Like I have always said if you know how much ammo you have , you don't have enough.
I'm a prepper type so I plan and stash for SHTF stuff to be used Barter town style.
Some guys here think this is a short term panic buying caused problem.
I totally agree with the panic buying cause of high prices, buy stand by my longer term Government
caused problems.
If it weren't for Bush #1's  EO's on Chinese ammo imports, the PLA would be happy to sell us
all the ammo we want, cheap.
Personally, if you don't have to sell, I would not sell a bit of ammunition.
Given the condition and direction of our governments.
I'd bet ammo will appreciate at, at least 10% per year, for the next few years.
Demand, Bidet, Kameltoe, Piglosi, Chuck U Schumer all but guarantee it.
Locally, Rhodes will figure out that ammo is an easier target than a ban on
guns nobody ever uses in our crime infested state /s.
 :shake:

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2021, 03:17:17 PM »
Like I have always said if you know how much ammo you have , you don't have enough.

I guess someone like Resident Biden would be a "prepper type?" 

He doesn't even know what he had for lunch 10 minutes later.   :crazy:
-- Melvin Udall

groveler

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2021, 03:54:11 PM »
I guess someone like Resident Biden would be a "prepper type?" 

He doesn't even know what he had for lunch 10 minutes later.   :crazy:
Good one!
You appreciate it is not a nut case issue.
It is more like this,
I had property in WA state and I had so many trees, I had no idea,
how many I had, but I always knew I had enough for what I needed.
Subjective? - agreed.  But I'm not a business.
 :geekdanc:

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2021, 04:53:08 PM »
Good one!
You appreciate it is not a nut case issue.
It is more like this,
I had property in WA state and I had so many trees, I had no idea,
how many I had, but I always knew I had enough for what I needed.
Subjective? - agreed.  But I'm not a business.
 :geekdanc:

I know you're not being serious, but there are some here who don't do "facetious".
-- Melvin Udall

dogman

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2021, 05:47:14 PM »
A friend said he got notified by SEC yesterday that HIS 9mm is in. He put his name on the list seven months ago. One thousand round case for $450.   

changemyoil66

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2021, 09:40:41 AM »
A friend said he got notified by SEC yesterday that HIS 9mm is in. He put his name on the list seven months ago. One thousand round case for $450.

That's cheap, it was $540 a few months ago.

RSN172

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2021, 10:05:21 AM »
That's cheap, it was $540 a few months ago.
And to think I could have bought 1000 rds of 124 gr Blazer 9MM at Front Sight in Oct 2019 for $155.51 (tax incl) I bought only 500 rds, of which 400 was used for my class.

pacwire

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2021, 04:22:10 PM »
Someone on 2A Hawaii is sellling 1000 rds of 9mm for $450.  BTW they did post today 2 boxes for $810....just repeating what i saw posted.  (and it's not SEC)