.22 lr Bolt Action - Experiences and Recommendations (Read 73305 times)

changemyoil66

Re: .22 lr Bolt Action - Experiences and Recommendations
« Reply #100 on: September 16, 2021, 09:01:09 AM »
What do you consider too much/light?

Just interesting perspective.  I was so used to shooting ARs, where my triggers were in the 4+ lb range.  When I started getting back into shooting bolt action, I trended down to the 1lb range.  That's what I've now gotten used to.  However, when a couple of buddies shot my rifle in the ~1lb trigger pull configuration, they both commented on how light the trigger is.  I now think I may try even lighter.  Not the 1 oz some of the F-Class folks have, but lighter than 1lb.

I have a friend that if you pound the table, the rifle would go off. IMO, even though a bench gun, that's too light.  But to each their own, we aren't like MA that requires a 10lb trigger.

The RPRR comes with a bladed trigger, which is unnecessary for a bench gun.  There are mods to remove the blade, but I've been too lazy and it doesn't bother me that much because of the price of the rifle and I'm not doing competitions with it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 09:15:46 AM by changemyoil66 »

drck1000

« Reply #101 on: September 16, 2021, 09:22:24 AM »
I have a friend that if you pound the table, the rifle would go off. IMO, even though a bench gun, that's too light.  But to each their own, we aren't like MA that requires a 10lb trigger.
Pound the table?  I've shot triggers where if I sneezed when I had the trigger prepped, it would go off.  I'm exaggerating, but not by much.
Super light was one of my first experiences shooting bolt action.  It was a strange two stage trigger, where there were two bars/levers (best I can remember).  Anyways, the second/last was glass, but super light! 

aieahound

« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2021, 09:52:50 AM »
I have no idea what pounds mine are at but I like it where you can feel the wall just before the break. Not much pressure on the break but you can feel the wall.
But probably around 2 1/2 pounds.
Love the Savages, and all kinds now, have the adjustable trigger.

drck1000

« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2021, 01:05:06 PM »
I have no idea what pounds mine are at but I like it where you can feel the wall just before the break. Not much pressure on the break but you can feel the wall.
But probably around 2 1/2 pounds.
Love the Savages, and all kinds now, have the adjustable trigger.
1-stage or 2-stage?  Sounds like 2, or a "creepy" 1-stage.  I personally like 2-stage for rifles, particularly for precision.  I'm liking them for AR all around as well. 

Anyways, 2.5# isn't heavy.  I have had triggers that weren't that consistent and pull gauges had a decent range.  I think I am at around 1.0-1.2# for my .308.  That trigger I think is capable down to 8 oz.  The trigger on my new .308 will be adjustable down to 4 oz, but I don't envision I will adjust it that low.

Bushido

« Reply #104 on: September 18, 2021, 07:27:13 PM »
"Light" triggers can gain you quicker accuracy improvements. You will get to the point where you will plateau and can't improve anymore. IMO they mask poor trigger pulls. Shoot a factory stock striker fired pistol and that will tell you tons about your trigger pull. Sadly most don't really want to know the truth. Jus sayin'

Bushido

« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2021, 07:29:13 PM »

The RPRR comes with a bladed trigger, which is unnecessary for a bench gun.  There are mods to remove the blade, but I've been too lazy and it doesn't bother me that much because of the price of the rifle and I'm not doing competitions with it.

Those are my boiz!!  :geekdanc: :geekdanc: :geekdanc: Yah that's too light for me

Bushido

« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2021, 07:31:19 PM »
Last time I talked to him, he showed me a picture of the Block II M4A1 trainer he put together with a CLE 22LR kit.

He's a good guy and a GREAT shooter!!! He definitely puts in the work and practice.

drck1000

« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2021, 08:49:30 PM »
"Light" triggers can gain you quicker accuracy improvements. You will get to the point where you will plateau and can't improve anymore. IMO they mask poor trigger pulls. Shoot a factory stock striker fired pistol and that will tell you tons about your trigger pull. Sadly most don't really want to know the truth. Jus sayin'
Interesting comparison to stock striker triggers.  Will keep that in mind as I get back into shooting precision, particularly my bolt guns.  I took a break from shooting my Rem 700, but only had the stock trigger until a little over a year ago.  I had been shooting handguns and ARs in various classes and competition for over a decade and with stock triggers for the majority of that.  USGI for ARs and stock Glock triggers.  I went to Geissele for my ARs in the past few years and upgraded trigger for my Glock around the same time with my Gucci Glocks.  I also have a CZ Shadow with a very crisp SA trigger, but I had to get used to shooting the longer and heavier DA trigger.  Overall, I think the key there was that I used to spend a lot of time on working on my handgun trigger manipulation and a lot of dry fire and ball and dummy drills live fire.  I haven’t done much dry fire with my bolt action. 

A trusted instructor and friend does advocate for shooting with stock triggers before going to the “high speed” triggers.  I stuck with stock for such a long time for the mindset of learning to shoot stock stuff will be better off in the long run, as well as Geissele triggers are pricey. 

I can say that I’m at least a decent shot with stock Glock and AR triggers.  When my gunsmith set my trigger to about 1.5# after the upgrade, I got used to that.  That and my friends on the mainland who shoot PRS and are pretty competitive, most of them shoot in the lighter end of the spectrum.  I think all around the 1# range, so I stayed in that same general range. 

I think some folks try lighter with gritty or mushy factory triggers to try to “fix” .  The 2-stage TriggerTechs I’ve been shooting are pretty crisp. 

Bushido

« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2021, 09:11:02 PM »
A trusted instructor and friend does advocate for shooting with stock triggers before going to the “high speed” triggers.  I stuck with stock for such a long time for the mindset of learning to shoot stock stuff will be better off in the long run, as well as Geissele triggers are pricey. 

I can say that I’m at least a decent shot with stock Glock and AR triggers.  When my gunsmith set my trigger to about 1.5# after the upgrade, I got used to that.  That and my friends on the mainland who shoot PRS and are pretty competitive, most of them shoot in the lighter end of the spectrum.  I think all around the 1# range, so I stayed in that same general range. 

Smart instructor.

IMO many of the current PRS shooters exhibit some very poor trigger control. They have gone to very low recoil 6mm with muzzle brakes and heavy rifles to achieve performance. Don't even get me started on the many bags they use. Frank Galli has a podcast where he talks about the "new PRS shooters" being good at free throws but they aren't good basketball players. I agree 100%. That is exactly what they are doing, they are making the task easier, they aren't making themselves better.

drck1000

« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2021, 09:30:15 PM »
Smart instructor.

IMO many of the current PRS shooters exhibit some very poor trigger control. They have gone to very low recoil 6mm with muzzle brakes and heavy rifles to achieve performance. Don't even get me started on the many bags they use. Frank Galli has a podcast where he talks about the "new PRS shooters" being good at free throws but they aren't good basketball players. I agree 100%. That is exactly what they are doing, they are making the task easier, they aren't making themselves better.
On my buddies who shoot PRS, I can see what you’re saying.  I don’t intend on shooting PRS, but that style is about the closest to my interests overall. I’ve had conversations with some other shooting buddies on balance of say a more stabile shooting support/position for when testing loads, but I am more of the mindset of keeping things closer to how I’ll shoot normally. 

On the trigger pull, never tried heavier as when I started shooting for more precision, the gun was setup in the 1.5# range and liked it.  Never thought to change.  Not really emulating any style, but mostly blindly following not knowing better.

Bushido

« Reply #110 on: September 18, 2021, 10:00:23 PM »
On my buddies who shoot PRS, I can see what you’re saying.  I don’t intend on shooting PRS, but that style is about the closest to my interests overall. I’ve had conversations with some other shooting buddies on balance of say a more stabile shooting support/position for when testing loads, but I am more of the mindset of keeping things closer to how I’ll shoot normally. 

On the trigger pull, never tried heavier as when I started shooting for more precision, the gun was setup in the 1.5# range and liked it.  Never thought to change.  Not really emulating any style, but mostly blindly following not knowing better.

I too like PRS style shooting. Seeing how the sport is evolving though, no thanks. Rifles Only is another one that's keeping it real. Very few shooters want to get better by putting in the work, they want to make everything to be easier. Rifles Only is keeping it real. Fundamentals, building a solid position with what you have. How you shoot a 22lr is how you should shoot a 338LM and everything in between IMO. Practice make permanent. PERFECT practice makes perfect.

drck1000

« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2021, 01:04:00 AM »
This looks super fun

CZ vs Vudoo

stangzilla

« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2021, 08:08:26 AM »

drck1000

« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2021, 08:24:01 AM »
SNIP

Thanks!  I've been watching some of his videos.  I watched the one where he shot the Vudoo. 

I've been watching a lot of videos from Pursuit of Accuracy (the one posted above). 

I've been looking at Vudoo barreled action closer lately.  Don't THINK I will make that leap, but I've been considering it. . .

Bushido

« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2021, 07:02:14 PM »
If rimfire precision is what you are after, 22 Plinkster is not at all your guy. Since you mentioned you lean towards PRS style shooting and looking into rimfire, look at Long Range Shooters of Utah channel on YouTube and search their early 22lr Marksman Challenge videos. Rodney Downs started it but work and politics forced him to stop. Bryce has some good videos as well. NRL22 is fun but 100y max. There's a group in Kentucky that push comps to 50o as does Nevada.

aieahound

« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2021, 07:32:08 PM »
500. That’s crazy. Even 300.
That’s a punt with drop never mind the wind.
Hope scope got plenty adjustment.
Or Kentucky windage.
Would be fun though.

drck1000

« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2021, 07:50:59 PM »
If rimfire precision is what you are after, 22 Plinkster is not at all your guy. Since you mentioned you lean towards PRS style shooting and looking into rimfire, look at Long Range Shooters of Utah channel on YouTube and search their early 22lr Marksman Challenge videos. Rodney Downs started it but work and politics forced him to stop. Bryce has some good videos as well. NRL22 is fun but 100y max. There's a group in Kentucky that push comps to 50o as does Nevada.
Thanks.  I just watched Plinkster’s video when I was searching for Vudoo.  The Pursuit of Accuracy channel was interesting because of the tests of the Vudoo and CZ.  Will check those that you mentioned.  I think I watched a couple from the Long Range Shooters of Utah. 

tommynauw

« Reply #117 on: September 23, 2021, 02:18:17 PM »
Before we start lobbing lead at 300+ yards think about trying the monthly silhouette match at Koko Head. Next one is 10/3. 22LR rifles off hand, no slings no rests. Or if you have a 22 pistol you can shoot Creedmoor.

More info here: https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=41141.0

I'll be there.

drck1000

« Reply #118 on: September 23, 2021, 02:57:12 PM »
Before we start lobbing lead at 300+ yards think about trying the monthly silhouette match at Koko Head. Next one is 10/3. 22LR rifles off hand, no slings no rests. Or if you have a 22 pistol you can shoot Creedmoor.

More info here: https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=41141.0

I'll be there.
Yeah, I'd be down once I get my rifle and set up.  I've seen those matches.  Looked fun and from talking to a few of the folks, harder than it looks for the improvised positions.

aieahound

« Reply #119 on: September 23, 2021, 04:28:18 PM »
Seeing if I can make it.
I’m down with a rifle freestanding offhand.
No way I’m getting into the Creedmor position though.