Firearms International eGun TASER-Self Defense Civilian User Course-Open! (Read 1471 times)

Misko031

Firearms International eGun TASER-Self Defense Civilian User Course-Open for registration
Class on 1/29 fully sold out
Class on 2/5/22 open
This will qualify you for 5% off of the Taser purchase
For more info click on:
https://www.firearmsinternational.biz/products/firearms-international-5240-e52d72fc-6b48-4b20-a29b-2fc16f216d42

Flapp_Jackson

To be clear, this class is above and beyond the informational briefing dealers are required by law to provide Taser buyers, correct?

[§134-84]  Sale, offer for sale, distribution, or transfer of electric guns or cartridges.
(g)  Before completing a sale, distribution, or other transfer of an electric gun, the licensee or an employee of the licensee shall provide an informational briefing to the recipient that includes but is not limited to the following:

(1)  The safe use and handling of electric guns;

(2)  Current information about the effects, dangers, risks, and limitations of electric guns;

(3)  Education on the existing state laws on electric guns; and

(4)  The proper disposal of electric guns.
https://capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/Vol03_Ch0121-0200D/HRS0134/HRS_0134-0084.htm

I understand the reasons Taser and firearm owners should take classes.  Training on the safe use, storage and carrying of any weapon is essential IMO.  But for Tasers, Hawaii law does not require this class. 

Please correct me if I'm misreading the law.

Mahalo!

:shaka:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Misko031

As of now, we are required to give customers what the law and HPD calls a briefing. This briefing is very extensive so we turn it into a class where we are going to cover it in more details and offer students a live-fire of the Taser so they will get a better understanding of how to handle Taser. You can see a detailed description of the class on our website. We are communicating with HPD and trying to streamline the process. Hope this answeres your question

Flapp_Jackson

As of now, we are required to give customers what the law and HPD calls a briefing. This briefing is very extensive so we turn it into a class where we are going to cover it in more details and offer students a live-fire of the Taser so they will get a better understanding of how to handle Taser. You can see a detailed description of the class on our website. We are communicating with HPD and trying to streamline the process. Hope this answeres your question

It does in part.

I think turning this into another affidavit requirement goes beyond what the law requires.  As you stated, you are turning the briefing into a class -- and charging $149.

if the customer opts in for the extensive training class, that should be their decision.  A Taser discount might help nudge those interested into signing up.  But, I believe whoever is selling Tasers should do what the law requires -- simply comply without a hefty class fee.

The state already offers a "free" alternative to the NRA Handgun Safety Training mandate:  Hunter's Education.  Used to be free, but now you pay a small convenience fee for the online version.  There should also be a free option for the Tazer briefing.

I don't mind vendors getting paid for their time, but charging as much for this Tazer training as for a handgun safety course with no other options is not furthering our rights.  In fact, forcing a payment to exercise a right hinders its exercise. 

This type of briefing is already done around the country in most private indoor ranges through the viewing of a range safety video using a TV or a tablet.  I see no reason this method can't suffice for the briefings required by the HRS.  After watching the video, buyers can ask questions if needed and have their certificate signed.  Very little time would be spent by the employees for each new customer.

Just wanted to post some thoughts and feelings.  I'm not passing judgement.  I'm sure things will change as time passes and these details get ironed out.

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Aloha!

:shaka:
-- Melvin Udall

Misko031

Thank you for your input. I think once HPD is clear with what they expect us to do we will adopt. I personally think that we will end up with short version briefing at the time of the purchase and if the customer wants a class for additional training and handaling. I personally paid $200 for Taser 4hrs training and I think it was a good education.

Flapp_Jackson

Thank you for your input. I think once HPD is clear with what they expect us to do we will adopt. I personally think that we will end up with short version briefing at the time of the purchase and if the customer wants a class for additional training and handaling. I personally paid $200 for Taser 4hrs training and I think it was a good education.

Agreed.  I'm all for education and training above and beyond what is required by law, but not so much for having it mandated by the state at a significant cost to the individuals.

Thanks again for the quick response.  I intend to purchase a Taser in the near future to compensate for the lack of CCW here.  I just don't want to be paying close to half the price of a second Taser to exercise that "privilege".

On a side note, I bet if some entrepreneurial dealer took the time to develop and produce a 10 minute video encompassing all the required training points in a well edited, professional format, all the other Taser sellers would be willing pay for the use of it.  (Hint, hint!)   :rofl:

-- Melvin Udall

DocMercy

The 808 Gun Club is charging more than Marko.

https://www.facebook.com/808-Gun-Club-304777270432707/

$230 vs. $149. It all depends on which store has a Taser Pulse Plus in stock, and who has a Taser Striker up for sale. The latter is a backup self-defense weapon. I would use it as a club, if necessary. Pepper spray is also handy.

changemyoil66

The 808 Gun Club is charging more than Marko.

https://www.facebook.com/808-Gun-Club-304777270432707/

$230 vs. $149. It all depends on which store has a Taser Pulse Plus in stock, and who has a Taser Striker up for sale. The latter is a backup self-defense weapon. I would use it as a club, if necessary. Pepper spray is also handy.

Firearms international is not requiring the $149 class to purchase a taser.  Marko confirmed this in another thread.  But 808 GC still is ($230).