Revolver show and tell (Read 217407 times)

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Revolver show and tell
« Reply #700 on: March 12, 2021, 04:30:27 PM »
yeah, i know what you mean.  there have been a few shooters that have never shot a revolver before that i let shoot mine and they place their weak hand thumb forward like a semiauto and its right next to the cylinder gap. i make sure to tell them to not put your thumb there, especially on a magnum revolver.  blast will come out the gap and could injure your thumb pretty badly.
i've heard of at least 1 shooter that injured their thumb with the Rhino bc of that forward thumb placement

Even in the video I linked to,  Jerry said he had to make sure to place his hands differently without really going into the "why".  But, it's obvious you'll need to practice almost daily placing it in your hands where you are not going to accidentally grab the wrong spot.  Even if you can't go shooting that often, you'd need to practice at home picking it up and checking your grip.  Muscle memory being too semi-auto familiar is what concerns me.  Have to retrain the muscles for this revolver.  In a pinch, you won't be thinking about the details of your grip.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Inspector

« Reply #701 on: March 17, 2021, 02:41:41 AM »
This is for you Stang...

Interesting ad from 1988 by Ruger:

https://americanhandgunner.com/retro-photo/no-ordinary-357/

I believe I remember seeing this ad.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 02:55:20 AM by Inspector »
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

stangzilla

« Reply #702 on: March 17, 2021, 07:17:30 AM »
This is for you Stang...

wow!  that's a cool ad
my 6" Stainless GP100 made in 1990 is my test mule for reloads in 357.  my SBH Bisley Hunter is my test mule for 44
Ruger, built like a tank!  :thumbsup:

Inspector

« Reply #703 on: March 17, 2021, 07:24:31 AM »
wow!  that's a cool ad
my 6" Stainless GP100 made in 1990 is my test mule for reloads in 357.  my SBH Bisley Hunter is my test mule for 44
Ruger, built like a tank!  :thumbsup:
When you see a SAA fail from over pressure you see the top strap curled up like an “S”. When you see a S&W fail from over pressure the top strap may or may not fail. Ruger adds so much metal to the top strap that I doubt one would ever fail there. It’s their hallmark.

stangzilla

« Reply #704 on: March 17, 2021, 09:25:00 AM »
When you see a SAA fail from over pressure you see the top strap curled up like an “S”. When you see a S&W fail from over pressure the top strap may or may not fail. Ruger adds so much metal to the top strap that I doubt one would ever fail there. It’s their hallmark.

that's one thing I like about Ruger revolvers.
i've switched grips on the GP100 a couple times, then went back to the stock rubber style and i like it bc its very comfortable to shoot

stangzilla

« Reply #705 on: March 24, 2021, 09:18:50 AM »
the old revolver vs semiauto debate continues.....

jc2721

« Reply #706 on: March 24, 2021, 03:54:05 PM »
There's several pictures of blown up Rugers on the big forums, it can and obviously has happened.

Inspector

« Reply #707 on: March 25, 2021, 02:44:49 AM »
There's several pictures of blown up Rugers on the big forums, it can and obviously has happened.
I have seen some. it’s not impossible. But most of the Ruger’s I’ve seen blown up the top straps are broken but not mangled or are just bowed. The weak spot in SAA and some S&W’s is not just the cylinder but the top strap as well. I had a friend (No longer with his) who blew up a Ruger revolver. We think he double charged his case. A piece of it went flying right past my face. I would guess about 4” in front of my face. I was about 20’ to 30’ to his left. The top strap bowed but did not let loose. Because of this most of the cylinder remained in the frame. When the top strap fails the parts of the cylinder that don’t fail usually go flying. Just more shrapnel to injure people. When the top strap stays in place, usually, the remainders of the non failed cylinder parts also stay in place. This is just a general statement.

Elmer Keith blew up a lot of SAA and S&W revolvers while pushing cartridges to their limits.

Inspector

« Reply #708 on: March 31, 2021, 02:38:27 AM »
OLD & NEW RUGER BLACKHAWK .44

https://gunsmagazine.com/our-experts/old-new-ruger-blackhawk-44/

Found this for you Stang. Hope you enjoy it!  :shaka:

stangzilla

« Reply #709 on: March 31, 2021, 07:19:37 AM »
OLD & NEW RUGER BLACKHAWK .44

https://gunsmagazine.com/our-experts/old-new-ruger-blackhawk-44/

Found this for you Stang. Hope you enjoy it!  :shaka:

thanks!   :shaka:

I never shot an old model Blackhawk before
I have 2 new model Super Blackhawks in 44mag.  one is 4 5/8" barrel the other is the Bisley Hunter 7.5" barrel. both are great SA revolvers. i shoot the Hunter more bc the added weight helps with heavier loads along with the Bisley grip. the 4 5/8" one was my first 44mag firearm. the factory SA trigger is very good, light, short pull, crisp break. i dont see any need to improve on it.  only modification is on the Hunter i put a fiber optic front sight. was very easy to change.  spring loaded, just push a pin with a small punch and pull it out. 

Inspector

« Reply #710 on: March 31, 2021, 07:26:33 AM »
thanks!   :shaka:

I never shot an old model Blackhawk before
I have 2 new model Super Blackhawks in 44mag.  one is 4 5/8" barrel the other is the Bisley Hunter 7.5" barrel. both are great SA revolvers. i shoot the Hunter more bc the added weight helps with heavier loads along with the Bisley grip. the 4 5/8" one was my first 44mag firearm. the factory SA trigger is very good, light, short pull, crisp break. i dont see any need to improve on it.  only modification is on the Hunter i put a fiber optic front sight. was very easy to change.  spring loaded, just push a pin with a small punch and pull it out.
When I was younger and even till this day I want a Blackhawk 357 convertible so I can shoot 38/357/9mm out of it. So many times I have found one and just didn’t have the money at the time. Then after that I want a leveraction 357, and then.......

stangzilla

« Reply #711 on: March 31, 2021, 07:31:44 AM »
When I was younger and even till this day I want a Blackhawk 357 convertible so I can shoot 38/357/9mm out of it. So many times I have found one and just didn’t have the money at the time. Then after that I want a leveraction 357, and then.......

i would want that convertible 9mm/357 Blackhawk too.  now that i have a 9mm firearm

drck1000

« Reply #712 on: March 31, 2021, 08:39:36 AM »
This is for you Stang...

I read that as 1888 the first time.  I could believe you saw it back then. . .  :o

;D  :rofl:

Inspector

« Reply #713 on: March 31, 2021, 08:41:28 AM »
I read that as 1888 the first time.  I could believe you saw it back then. . .  :o

;D  :rofl:
You’re getting old, you eyes are bad! 😝

drck1000

« Reply #714 on: March 31, 2021, 08:48:11 AM »
Me too!   :thumbsup:

You’re getting old, you eyes are bad! 😝
Multi-tasking  ;D

stangzilla

« Reply #715 on: April 05, 2021, 12:25:11 PM »
revolver wins again!   O0

Inspector

« Reply #716 on: April 05, 2021, 12:51:13 PM »
revolver wins again!   O0

Was there ever any doubt?  :love:

stangzilla

« Reply #717 on: April 05, 2021, 01:07:49 PM »
Was there ever any doubt?  :love:

nope, not in my mind   :shaka:

Inspector

« Reply #718 on: April 08, 2021, 02:55:32 AM »

stangzilla

« Reply #719 on: April 13, 2021, 12:35:26 PM »
44 magnum   :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: