Lahaina Burning (Read 4328 times)

hvybarrels

Lahaina Burning
« on: August 09, 2023, 02:05:43 AM »
Just checked the news and shocked to see the images and hear some stories about people running for their lives. It reminds me of California where the Santa Ana winds would randomly stoke a blaze and wipe a town off the map.

El Niño is supposed to mean a super dry winter this year. Firestorms aren’t something I usually think about in Hawaii but it’s probably a good time to make a threat assessment and evacuation plans just in case.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

oldfart

Re: Lahaina Burning
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2023, 04:56:58 AM »
Son's friends house burned.
My sister evacuated her house.
Comms are down.
This is history.
What, Me Worry?

oldfart

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2023, 10:34:14 AM »
Josh Green is MIA while this is going on.
National Guard guys should be going over to provide security for evacuated areas.
My kid went Big Island in 2018 and he is prepped to roll out again, but no word yet.

I better not see Green on the news putting a bandage on some tourist tomorrow
 :-\
What, Me Worry?

hvybarrels

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2023, 11:19:00 AM »

You know it's coming. It's just a question of what form the cringe will take.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

ren

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2023, 12:36:46 PM »
Math is hard for us peasants
Remember those math-is-fundamental covid era flashcards Green displayed for us?

He will probably in the ER tending to some burn victims with an aloe plant in one hand
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 02:19:52 PM by ren »
Deeds Not Words

Sodie

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2023, 04:33:16 PM »
Josh Green is MIA while this is going on.
National Guard guys should be going over to provide security for evacuated areas.
My kid went Big Island in 2018 and he is prepped to roll out again, but no word yet.

Gov was on vacation when the fires got bad, coming back now (if not back already). National Guard already activated, as well as active duty support.

hvybarrels

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2023, 11:47:26 PM »
36 dead so far. The pictures of the devastation are incredible. it was like a tsunami made out of fire. I'm going to have to reevaluate some stuff.

https://www.kitv.com/news/lahaina/36-confirmed-dead-federal-and-local-officials-give-updates-on-maui-fires/article_5498454e-374e-11ee-aa9e-dbbaab703229.html

QUIETShooter

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2023, 08:30:20 AM »
As horrible as things turned out to be, I always think about what would have happened if something like Dora would do a direct hit on the islands.

Maybe there wouldn't have been wildfires since Dora would have brought tons of rain with it but the damage to life and property would be insane.

Everyone should have a disaster plan in place.  This includes pew pews.  Those who don't believe in them.....Good Luck.  Remember, when seconds count, HPD is minutes away.  That's when things are normal. :wave:
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

macsak

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2023, 10:37:55 AM »
i have "a friend"  whose wife had him buy two generators
she won't let him buy guns though

i told him, "i have two guns. uess who has two generators now?"

As horrible as things turned out to be, I always think about what would have happened if something like Dora would do a direct hit on the islands.

Maybe there wouldn't have been wildfires since Dora would have brought tons of rain with it but the damage to life and property would be insane.

Everyone should have a disaster plan in place.  This includes pew pews.  Those who don't believe in them.....Good Luck.  Remember, when seconds count, HPD is minutes away.  That's when things are normal. :wave:

drck1000

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2023, 10:44:23 AM »
i have "a friend"  whose wife had him buy two generators
she won't let him buy guns though

i told him, "i have two guns. uess who has two generators now?"
:facepalm:

drck1000

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2023, 10:46:26 AM »
36 dead so far. The pictures of the devastation are incredible. it was like a tsunami made out of fire. I'm going to have to reevaluate some stuff.

https://www.kitv.com/news/lahaina/36-confirmed-dead-federal-and-local-officials-give-updates-on-maui-fires/article_5498454e-374e-11ee-aa9e-dbbaab703229.html
:(

Damn, that way up from last I read/heard. 

I've seen a number of before/after aerial photos.  A couple of friends were in Lahaina town last week, but were in Wailuku area when the fire broke out.  They said from friends that live in the Kapalua area (just north) that the photos don't show the magnitude of what was destroyed. 

macsak

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2023, 10:48:16 AM »

oldfart

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2023, 02:31:34 PM »
My son is still waiting to roll out.
He said there would be more bodies to recover.
He was right.

Part of the problem is that politicians are playing some kind of power money game.
Another problem is logistics. The heavy vehicles were shipped to the mainland for some sort of training exercise.
What, Me Worry?

Antithesis

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2023, 04:09:33 PM »
Death toll is at 53 now. Sad news.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
If you wish for peace, prepare for war

hvybarrels

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2023, 05:58:06 PM »

zippz

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2023, 06:09:38 PM »
My son is still waiting to roll out.
He said there would be more bodies to recover.
He was right.

Part of the problem is that politicians are playing some kind of power money game.
Another problem is logistics. The heavy vehicles were shipped to the mainland for some sort of training exercise.

If it's the national guard, they recently finished their training in Louisiana so their vehicles are on the barge coming back the long ways around.  But National Guard here has a lot of vehicles from other units they can use so shouldn't be a problem.  Funding is always an issue for large deployments but they'll figure it out quickly if not already.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Sodie

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2023, 06:16:42 PM »
If it's the national guard, they recently finished their training in Louisiana so their vehicles are on the barge coming back the long ways around.  But National Guard here has a lot of vehicles from other units they can use so shouldn't be a problem.  Funding is always an issue for large deployments but they'll figure it out quickly if not already.

There’s been a federal declaration of disaster, so money shouldn’t be as big an issue… just need to track expenses for reimbursement.

aieahound

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2023, 07:57:48 PM »

Lahaina Burned.
Crazy.

hvybarrels

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2023, 09:18:57 PM »
That clip of the guys driving past a body is so heavy. They are surrounded by superheated toxic gas and if they step out they’ll probably die, so auntie just stays in the road. Sobering reminder how quickly things can come apart.

oldfart

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2023, 05:18:01 PM »
It didn't take long for the vultures to come out and feed off the dead.
=======
HNN:
"Honolulu firm Davis Levin Livingston has also launched its own independent investigation after receiving a number of complaints from concerned residents."
What, Me Worry?