Kung Fu classes on Oahu? (Read 2818 times)

drck1000

Re: Kung Fu classes on Oahu?
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2024, 10:03:41 AM »
Also important than just learning any technique, is going against an opponent to somewhat get a feel of what it's like to go against a bad guy.  Kung Fu doesn't really do this compared to BJJ.  Muay Thai and boxing has sparing, but you're not going full speed and mostly it's hitting pads someone is holding.  And to get into a ring won't happen for most people.

I bring this up because I have a friend who was being trained by an Olympic boxer.  He had very good technique against a bag. But then they went to spar and she only went 1/4 speed on him and when he got that first hit by her, he was scared shitless and gave up boxing. 

Like battle, the plan can change once the bullets start to fly.
???

Sparring is very important, IMO.  When I was taking combatives, we sparred regularly.  Some folks sparred harder, but good to push things every so often.  What you can do or how you react after getting hit, or what you can't do.

For BJJ, we "spar" often.  Varying degrees of intensity.  Depends on who is competing, who wants to go harder, or who is more recreational.  It's one thing to get a technique in demonstration and drilling, versus against a live opponent, who knows your techniques and counters. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2024, 10:14:11 AM »
???

Sparring is very important, IMO.  When I was taking combatives, we sparred regularly.  Some folks sparred harder, but good to push things every so often.  What you can do or how you react after getting hit, or what you can't do.

For BJJ, we "spar" often.  Varying degrees of intensity.  Depends on who is competing, who wants to go harder, or who is more recreational.  It's one thing to get a technique in demonstration and drilling, versus against a live opponent, who knows your techniques and counters.

This is 1 reason why I never took classes at UFC.  You often get paired with people you don't know. Compared to a teammate in high school or a smaller BJJ studio.  Some people have different levels of intenstiy and going easy to them may be going hard to you.  Add in ego and even when you tell them to take it easier, they don't. Mrs. CMO had this issue with multiple male sparing Muay Thai partners.  I get that the guy wants a good workout, but still. 

Another is you don't know the hygene of non teammate or close knit people. I've seen a few doing the BJJ class at UFC, walk barefoot into the restroom and stand at the urinal barefoot. Then go back onto the mat. Don't even get me started on guys I know with ring worm who still did the Muay Thai, BJJ, boxing, etc...

Of course, the above is a personal problem.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2024, 12:41:55 PM »
It's not the size of the dog, but the fight in the dog.

I know guys who are super tiny and not afraid to get knocked out. Crazy fakkas.

mindset.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

drck1000

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2024, 12:49:50 PM »
This is 1 reason why I never took classes at UFC.  You often get paired with people you don't know. Compared to a teammate in high school or a smaller BJJ studio.  Some people have different levels of intenstiy and going easy to them may be going hard to you.  Add in ego and even when you tell them to take it easier, they don't. Mrs. CMO had this issue with multiple male sparing Muay Thai partners.  I get that the guy wants a good workout, but still. 

Another is you don't know the hygene of non teammate or close knit people. I've seen a few doing the BJJ class at UFC, walk barefoot into the restroom and stand at the urinal barefoot. Then go back onto the mat. Don't even get me started on guys I know with ring worm who still did the Muay Thai, BJJ, boxing, etc...

Of course, the above is a personal problem.
That's the sign of good instructors/leaders.  Plus, everyone needs to speak up for themselves. 

Hygiene is always a concern, especially for grappling sports though.  Same with wrestling and Judo in HS time. Those mats could get pretty nasty.  But yeah, no footwear off the mats is a huge no-no.  But, there's lot of options beyond UFC, as well as "what you know".  Just sayin. . .

stangzilla

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2024, 07:29:56 AM »
you could be one of the best UFC fighters, and still get KO'd on the street   ;)  :shaka: