Tactical Pen - Do You Carry One? (Read 10312 times)

drck1000

Tactical Pen - Do You Carry One?
« on: April 09, 2018, 08:29:59 AM »
A prepper type buddy got me a tactical pen. 

https://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Defense-Survival-Military-Police/dp/B06X15GHF9/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1523298065&sr=8-3&keywords=tactical+pen

Do any of you carry one of these on a regular basis?  This thing is pretty hefty, which is good if I needed to break glass or I had to use it in a defensive situation.  I actually carried it around with me over the weekend and couldn't really find a way that I see myself carrying it daily.  I almost always have a pen on me at work, but this one is a bit too heavy for that application.  I have a steel body pen that I do use, but it's no where near the utility like this particular model. 

The the plus side, I definitely see a lot of usefulness of a tool like this.  The pen works really well.  And I travel to places were even knives are illegal, so this could be an option. 

London808

Re: Tactical Pen - Do You Carry One?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 08:43:34 AM »
A prepper type buddy got me a tactical pen. 

https://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Defense-Survival-Military-Police/dp/B06X15GHF9/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1523298065&sr=8-3&keywords=tactical+pen

Do any of you carry one of these on a regular basis?  This thing is pretty hefty, which is good if I needed to break glass or I had to use it in a defensive situation.  I actually carried it around with me over the weekend and couldn't really find a way that I see myself carrying it daily.  I almost always have a pen on me at work, but this one is a bit too heavy for that application.  I have a steel body pen that I do use, but it's no where near the utility like this particular model. 

The the plus side, I definitely see a lot of usefulness of a tool like this.  The pen works really well.  And I travel to places were even knives are illegal, so this could be an option.

Most times ai carry a knife so i dont see the need for it, UNLESS your going somewhere you cant take a knife
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

drck1000

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 08:54:07 AM »
Most times ai carry a knife so i dont see the need for it, UNLESS your going somewhere you cant take a knife
Ya.  I almost always have a knife on me. 

I could see the flashlight and smaller tools being handy, but not something that couldn't be improvised. 

I recall discussion a while back about folks who make sure to have a metal body light or metal pen when flying.  I have metal body pens when I travel as well.  I've been told these pens pass TSA.  I just don't see myself carrying one this bulky on a daily basis. 

akumalio

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 09:18:04 AM »
I carry one as part of my travel EDC for the plane ride and in places I’m not allowed to ccw. I’ve never had any issues with TSA in the US or Internationally.

changemyoil66

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 09:56:11 AM »
My EDC:
1 folding knife
1 fixed blade knife
(Both not defined as "deadly or dangerous weapons" per HRS134)
Pepper spray (permit required to carry on Kauai)
Streamlight Protac 1L ($50). Don't want to spend over $100 in case I lose it or have to ditch it.  I did lose my this light last November at the Vegas airport after passing TSA.  So $50 was no biggie.

So  a tac pen would be just taking up space in my pockets.  The Mrs. has 3 tac pens she bought, and carries 1 in her purse.  She uses pens all the time.

Per airline rules, pepper spray is not allowed on flight or in checked baggage.  TSA allows, but airlines don't.  Hawaiian, United, etc...I heard of people who left the pepper spray in their bags by mistake and made it pass.  Both checked and carry on.

drck1000

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 10:02:44 AM »
I have a Streamlight 1L dual fuel for when I travel. Nice little light and pretty bright. You can find for $35-40. PM me If you want reference to suppliers. I also have a few Streamlight 2L-X for Ly work bag and others. Prettt bright and not super expensive. I like Surefire lights, but the Protac series is good quality for decent prices.

changemyoil66

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 10:13:16 AM »
I have a Streamlight 1L dual fuel for when I travel. Nice little light and pretty bright. You can find for $35-40. PM me If you want reference to suppliers. I also have a few Streamlight 2L-X for Ly work bag and others. Prettt bright and not super expensive. I like Surefire lights, but the Protac series is good quality for decent prices.

Is the "dual fuel" the one that can take either CR123 or AAA?

I did look into Surefire, but it was to expensive for what I need it for (in case I lose it).

London808

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 10:33:05 AM »

i usually carry a The 5.11 TMT PLx its about the size of a pen, uses AAA battery's. 90 lums. it fits nice in the hand is all metal and could be used as a striking weapon if needed, Oh and its around $15 so if i lose it its not a huge deal.
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

drck1000

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 10:54:33 AM »
Is the "dual fuel" the one that can take either CR123 or AAA?

I did look into Surefire, but it was to expensive for what I need it for (in case I lose it).
Yeah. That’s the one.

I have a few Surefires (G2x and others). I’ve been wanting to try their new EDC line, but yeah, too expensive.

drck1000

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 10:56:33 AM »
i usually carry a The 5.11 TMT PLx its about the size of a pen, uses AAA battery's. 90 lums. it fits nice in the hand is all metal and could be used as a striking weapon if needed, Oh and its around $15 so if i lose it its not a huge deal.
I have a Streamlight one kinda like that. Looks like those penlights that doctors use to check out your pupil dilation. I don’t use it that much though. Think it’s much lower lumens than the 5.11 one that you have.

Surf

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 07:20:15 PM »
I also use one for travel and keep one in my business laptop bag.  I keep it in the bag with the other pens, but once through TSA, I do carry it on my person.  Haven't had an issue so far. 

mangosteenqueen

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 08:57:04 PM »
So what if I carry a messer? By german translation of a messer it's a knife, except it's a big knife and not a sword.

drck1000

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 07:23:51 AM »
I also use one for travel and keep one in my business laptop bag.  I keep it in the bag with the other pens, but once through TSA, I do carry it on my person.  Haven't had an issue so far.
I could see myself carrying this one in my carry-on.  Not sure if I would have it on me as it's pretty bulky.  Maybe if it was a little shorter.  Looks like I'll be traveling to the outer islands early May and likely back to Japan in June, so will have plenty of opportunity to see.  I usually just have a pretty plain steel body pen on me. 

So what if I carry a messer? By german translation of a messer it's a knife, except it's a big knife and not a sword.
Then you are probably a super duper bad ass kinda guy.   :thumbsup:

changemyoil66

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 09:22:45 AM »
Just don't spend to much on the pen, in case TSA makes you toss it. 

drck1000

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 09:28:00 AM »
Just don't spend to much on the pen, in case TSA makes you toss it.
This one was a gift and I think they go for around $10-15.  I've seen some as much as $60. 

My steel pens aren't fancy.  Maybe $7-10.  I have a couple of Cross pens and those go for around $20.  Don't remember how I got those pens though.  I have a few Rite-in-the-Rain and Fisher Space pens that I used to use for work.  I still use them here and there, but I'm rarely out in the field anymore.

changemyoil66

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 09:36:50 AM »
This one was a gift and I think they go for around $10-15.  I've seen some as much as $60. 

My steel pens aren't fancy.  Maybe $7-10.  I have a couple of Cross pens and those go for around $20.  Don't remember how I got those pens though.  I have a few Rite-in-the-Rain and Fisher Space pens that I used to use for work.  I still use them here and there, but I'm rarely out in the field anymore.

I also told the Mrs. to get my back if someone goes Aloha Snackbar on the plane.  Because the "bystander" effect is strong, so most people won't do anything.  They think someone else will do something.  I told her if someone does go Aloha Snackbar, we're screwed anyways, so might as well fight and have a chance. 

Always have a plan, but plan on that plan failing (Murphy).

drck1000

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 09:54:54 AM »
I also told the Mrs. to get my back if someone goes Aloha Snackbar on the plane. Because the "bystander" effect is strong, so most people won't do anything.  They think someone else will do something.  I told her if someone does go Aloha Snackbar, we're screwed anyways, so might as well fight and have a chance. 

Always have a plan, but plan on that plan failing (Murphy).
That's very true.  You're more likely to see someone go for their phone to video than to call for help. 

Maybe a year ago, I was walking back to my car and I came upon a lady on the ground in the middle of a sidewalk.  It was the middle of the day and she was lying in the hot sun.  Could tell she was breathing, but her eyes were sort of glazed and sort of rolled back at times and had a red liquid on her teeth.  Anyways, there were a couple of younger people who were there before me and they were just videoing her!  I called 911 and was in the process of conveying the situation to the dispatcher when she suddenly gets up and walks (or more like stumbles) off. . .  A lady who was driving by also saw and she came back around to try to help.  We were amazed at the maybe 3-4 folks who just watched her lying there on the ground and it was obvious something was not right.   

ren

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2018, 09:27:56 AM »
in my Amazon cart
Deeds Not Words

drck1000

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2018, 10:16:31 AM »
Got one of these. Much easier to carry, even in business attire. Have had it on me the last few days, both at work and casual. How the pen writes is decent too.

BCBH Waterproof Multi-Function Tactical, Ergonomic Self Defense Pen

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3VPHGG/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_JeM0AbGW9VZ0K

ren

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2018, 10:41:20 AM »
Got one of these. Much easier to carry, even in business attire. Have had it on me the last few days, both at work and casual. How the pen writes is decent too.

BCBH Waterproof Multi-Function Tactical, Ergonomic Self Defense Pen

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3VPHGG/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_JeM0AbGW9VZ0K

whoa..that's even better! <puts the other one back>
Deeds Not Words