Getting and registering a gun in Hawaii (Read 344872 times)

rklapp

Re: Getting and registering a gun in Hawaii
« Reply #520 on: August 16, 2018, 01:18:17 PM »
I've also parked at the metered "Public and Employee Parking" garage off of Beretania with a short walk through the park to HPD. I marked the entrance on the map.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

Soleyobo

« Reply #521 on: August 17, 2018, 01:33:41 AM »
I've also parked at the metered "Public and Employee Parking" garage off of Beretania with a short walk through the park to HPD. I marked the entrance on the map.

I don't think we are talking about the same parking structure.  There is a parking garage on Hotel St. I marked it with the big circle.  Its a ramp that goes down to a underground parking garage and it has about 10+ metered stalls on your right side when you drive in.  Also in the small circle I marked where the elevator comes up from the parking garage.

drck1000

« Reply #522 on: August 17, 2018, 10:19:23 AM »
I don't think we are talking about the same parking structure.  There is a parking garage on Hotel St. I marked it with the big circle.  Its a ramp that goes down to a underground parking garage and it has about 10+ metered stalls on your right side when you drive in.  Also in the small circle I marked where the elevator comes up from the parking garage.

Yeah. He was talking about another lot. The one RK was mentioning is for the C&C building across Alapai St. I park there too if the main HPD lot is full. Usually lots of parking there.

Soleyobo

« Reply #523 on: August 18, 2018, 12:47:39 AM »
Yeah. He was talking about another lot. The one RK was mentioning is for the C&C building across Alapai St. I park there too if the main HPD lot is full. Usually lots of parking there.

Ah okay.  Good to know, first time ever going I thought the only parking was on Beretenia street  :wacko:

bknaka

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Known to revive old but good posts at times...
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 25, 2018, 09:13:44 PM »
I have taken the class before and owned a handgun. I dont have the gun anymore but I'd like to get another. I don't know where I put my affidavit saying that I completed the class. My question is, do I need to take the class again or does HPD have a copy of it from when I previously registered my former handgun?
Gun control means using both hands.

dustoff003

« Reply #525 on: August 25, 2018, 09:17:45 PM »
I have taken the class before and owned a handgun. I dont have the gun anymore but I'd like to get another. I don't know where I put my affidavit saying that I completed the class. My question is, do I need to take the class again or does HPD have a copy of it from when I previously registered my former handgun?
If you can ask whomever you took the class from for another affidavit. HPD will have a copy in your file, they still want to see it and make a copy each time you apply for a hand gun permit.

macsak

« Reply #526 on: August 25, 2018, 09:18:06 PM »

no, hpd does not keep a record
an affidavit is a legal document, and it is your responsibility to retain it safely
you can try and contact whomever issued the affidavit and see if they keep records and they may reissue it for a fee
not every instructor does this, though

yurcarmeean

« Reply #527 on: November 08, 2018, 01:29:41 PM »
Got another question: after purchasing a handgun from LGS, and obtaining pertinent handgun info,  is there a time limit in which i would need to apply for the handgun permit?  and will the LGS hold the handgun indefinitely until i have officially obtained the handgun permit?  in other words will the LGS hang on to the handgun until I can get off of work and go down to HPD and apply and obtain permit 14 days thereafter applying?

Thanks, just trying to get the details on timing right, before i buy,  its been a while since i bought a handgun and i had a lot more free time back then...
If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready.

changemyoil66

« Reply #528 on: November 08, 2018, 01:51:39 PM »
Although every LGS has different rules, I don't know of any that will hold a gun indefinitely for you. 

Many will hold it for the 2 week waiting period.  Remember the permit is only good for 5 days before you have to reapply.

As long as you communicate with the LGS they're pretty cool about it.  Unless you keep missing your 5 day window and next thing you know 3 months have gone by.

A guy in my handgun class who paid for a gun, but got his permit denied because he saw a marriage counselor 5 years prior.  And since then he has gotten divorced and re-married.  He let the LGS know that he has to get the mental health waiver so it's going to take some time.  They were cool about it and he got his gun a few weeks later.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #529 on: November 08, 2018, 04:53:03 PM »
Although every LGS has different rules, I don't know of any that will hold a gun indefinitely for you.
xxx

One LGS told me they've held guns for deployed military for years while the owner was deployed.

My guess would be the length of time they happily hold a firearm you paid for would be case by case, factoring in the length of time and situation.

Once you pay for a gun, it is your property.  If you take an extra long time to get the permit and pick it up, the shop really doesn't have much to complain about other than having to make space for it and count it in their inventory occasionally.

The shop can't legally make you pick up the gun if you haven't gone through the acquisition permit process.  In fact, it's their job to ensure you do that BEFORE they deliver the firearm to you.

As long as you maintain communication with them so they know it's not abandoned, most of them will work with you however long it takes.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #530 on: November 09, 2018, 10:12:50 AM »

Once you pay for a gun, it is your property.  If you take an extra long time to get the permit and pick it up, the shop really doesn't have much to complain about other than having to make space for it and count it in their inventory occasionally.

IDK about that, what if you're disqualified from owning the gun?  Then you have broken the law by it being your property.  Even though it was never in your possession (at gun store).

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #531 on: November 09, 2018, 11:21:19 AM »
IDK about that, what if you're disqualified from owning the gun?  Then you have broken the law by it being your property.  Even though it was never in your possession (at gun store).

That's different than holding the gun "indefinitely" pending a permit issuance.  If you're disqualified, but you already paid, they can issue a refund or store credit. But before that happens, the gun really was your property.  You completed the purchase by paying for it.  The transfer hasn't happened since the FFL will hold the 4473 until you present a permit, but that's a completely different step from the purchase.  The shop will continue to set that gun with that serial number aside for you until the transfer issues are resolved.

But, very few transfers from an FFL are denied, so this is more of an exception than the rule.  Remember, you can transfer ownership of a gun to someone without receiving payment.  Transfer & purchase are two separate transactions.
-- Melvin Udall

eastwood13

« Reply #532 on: December 15, 2018, 07:31:46 PM »
I recently came in possession of two rifles, a Browning SA 22 and a Henry Golden Boy, from my mother-in-law. The rifles belonged to her late husband. How would I go about getting a permit and then registering these? My biggest problem is the Browning has no serial number anywhere (I’ve taken the whole thing apart). I’m also curious if they were never registered in the first place and if that might be a problem. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

kalanz

« Reply #533 on: April 06, 2019, 12:32:16 PM »
So yesterday I went and applied for a long gun permit. I paid the $43.25 Rap Back fee and that’s it. Skimming through this thread I believe another fee of $16 something was also required? They did my finger printing and said “see you in two weeks” then I left.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #534 on: April 06, 2019, 01:04:07 PM »
So yesterday I went and applied for a long gun permit. I paid the $43.25 Rap Back fee and that’s it. Skimming through this thread I believe another fee of $16 something was also required? They did my finger printing and said “see you in two weeks” then I left.

The $43.25 includes all fees. There's a break-down of what's included in the June 2016 Hawaii AG fact sheet for RAPBACK:

In addition to the $12.00 fee for the FBI background check, a fee of $30.00 will be assessed to all firearm registrants for the State background check.

Obviously, they've raised the fees. The law is ambiguous on cost, allowing the police department to charge for "actual costs" of processing background checks, fingerprinting, etc.

https://ag.hawaii.gov/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Rap-Back-Facts-Sheet-Final-12-7-16-002.pdf

Here's the signed bill from June 2016, SB 2954 HD 1:

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2016/bills/GM1209_.PDF
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 10:54:07 AM by Flapp_Jackson »
-- Melvin Udall

HGPineapple

« Reply #535 on: June 14, 2019, 01:19:42 PM »
Sorry, im out of date and haven't bought a gun in a long time, but shopping around for a new handgun.

I already have my affidavit for handgun purchase for a while, but need some info and the first post is a bit out of date.

Do I apply for a handgun permit before I purchase the gun?  If I recall, I had to bring the serial number down and then apply for the permit.  Any answers would be appreciated.

changemyoil66

« Reply #536 on: June 14, 2019, 01:44:30 PM »
If buying from a retail store, you will have to buy the gun there and they fax over the docs to HPD and give you a paper that has the serial # on it.  Bring your affidavit.

Then go to HPD with that paper and affidavit.  You will fill out a bunch of forms there.  Use black ink only and when initialing, print your initials, no cursive. I would apply for long gun permit since you're already there.

Go back 2 weeks later to HPD and pick up the permit to acquire (carbon papers) and take that to the gun shop.

Gun shop will have you fill out the fed 4473 form and give you the handgun. 

Take handgun back to HPD and show it to them.

HGPineapple

« Reply #537 on: June 18, 2019, 10:41:28 AM »
Thank you

VarsityShinebox808

« Reply #538 on: September 02, 2019, 08:30:45 PM »
i got a question regarding the Medical waiver form. My personal doctor currently left his job and transferred over to Queen's so I'm without a primary doctor right now. What do I do with the medical forms then? Do I just put down the address of the clinic I go to and leave it at that or do I need to wait until I get assigned another doc to put their name on the form?

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #539 on: September 02, 2019, 09:52:39 PM »
i got a question regarding the Medical waiver form. My personal doctor currently left his job and transferred over to Queen's so I'm without a primary doctor right now. What do I do with the medical forms then? Do I just put down the address of the clinic I go to and leave it at that or do I need to wait until I get assigned another doc to put their name on the form?

No need to wait.  There's no legal requirement to even have a doctor.  If you have insurance with an HMO, don't lie and say, "None."  Just give the clinic info.

I have Kaiser, but my PCP has changed more often than a Democrat politician changes their positions on issues.

I used to put my doctor's info on the form, but now I only put the clinic's info.  Never had a problem.

-- Melvin Udall