Covid-19 and Government Overreach (Read 7132 times)

hvybarrels

Covid-19 and Government Overreach
« on: March 15, 2020, 11:11:10 AM »
It seems like a great excuse to do a lot of things they always wanted to do. In our own Banana Republic the bills and proclamations are being launched at a record pace but I have not heard many details about what is inside them.

Meanwhile back East:

New Orleans Mayor Cantrell is already taking the steps to limit second amendment rights if they deem it necessary.

https://edgarcountywatchdogs.com/2020/03/new-orleans-louisiana-mayor-cantrell-issues-proclamation-of-state-of-emergency-grant-powers-to-suspend-sale-and-transportation-of-firearms-alcohol-explosives-and-combustibles/

NYC Gov Cuomo is ready to test the boundaries of Posse Comitatus

https://1010wins.radio.com/articles/cuomo-calls-on-trump-to-mobilize-us-military

The guy from Maui brought up the language in one of the Senate bills during last weeks hearing that would allow the state to confiscate all firearms and ammo from gun shops during a state of emergency (like right now for example). I did not realize that was one of the provisions until he mentioned it, but it makes me wonder what other rotten easter eggs are hidden in our own current batch of emergency bills and proclamations.

“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

changemyoil66

Re: Covid-19 and Government Overreach
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 11:18:24 AM »
Cops would never do that...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 11:19:46 AM »
A mayor in Illinois was just provided the legal authority to stop sales of alcoholic beverages and firearms in her town, although she "promises" she won't do that.  Then why even have such an ordinance in the first place?

The city of Champaign assured people Friday it’s not banning gun or alcohol sales, or seizing property after
several conservative media outlets highlighted the mayor’s ability to take those actions as part of an emergency
declared to deal with COVID-19.

Websites including the Washington Examiner ran stories about the emergency declaration after gun-rights
groups highlighted Mayor Deborah Frank Feinen’s power to ban firearms sales under the measures and local
TV station WAND ran a story about the mayor’s declaration and a city ordinance putting an emergency into
effect. No coronavirus cases had been diagnosed in the city as of Friday, a fact noted in some of the articles.

The mayor’s powers already were in the city’s municipal code and are triggered by an emergency declaration,
according to the ordinance passed Friday and statements from city officials.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-coronavirus-champaign-emergency-guns-alcohol-sales-20200314-x36zrgm5pfhf5a4z5q22bjiv6q-story.html

In other words, "We're the government -- trust us".
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

6716J

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 02:02:57 PM »
HRS 134-7.2

§134-7.2  Prohibition against seizure of firearms or ammunition during emergency or disaster; suspension of permit or license.  (a)  Notwithstanding any provision of chapter 127A or any other law to the contrary, no person or government entity shall seize or confiscate, under any emergency or disaster relief powers or functions conferred, or during any emergency period, as defined in section 127A-2, or during any time of national emergency or crisis, as defined in section 134-34, any firearm or ammunition from any individual who is lawfully permitted to carry or possess the firearm or ammunition under part I of this chapter and who carries, possesses, or uses the firearm or ammunition in a lawful manner and in accordance with the criminal laws of this State.

(b)  Notwithstanding any provision of chapter 127A or any other law to the contrary, no person or government entity shall suspend, revoke, or limit, under any emergency or disaster relief powers or functions conferred, any lawfully acquired and maintained permit or license obtained under and in accordance with part I of this chapter.

(c)  For purposes of this section, "government entity" means any unit of government in this State, including the State and any county or combination of counties, department, agency, institution, board, commission, district, council, bureau, office, governing authority, or other instrumentality of state or county government, or corporation or other establishment owned, operated, or managed by or on behalf of this State or any county. [L 2010, c 96, §1; am L 2014, c 111, §7]

But they no can read

So does this mean we can all open carry? Or concealed?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

changemyoil66

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 03:15:37 PM »
How many cops will "follow orders"?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tillamook

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 04:22:11 PM »
The state does not have any protective equipment to go confiscating.   "sure, come on in officer,  dont mind all the family that is coughing their heads off. You brought gloves right?"

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2020, 04:52:22 PM »
HRS 134-7.2

§134-7.2  Prohibition against seizure of firearms or ammunition during emergency or disaster; suspension of permit or license.  (a)  Notwithstanding any provision of chapter 127A or any other law to the contrary, no person or government entity shall seize or confiscate, under any emergency or disaster relief powers or functions conferred, or during any emergency period, as defined in section 127A-2, or during any time of national emergency or crisis, as defined in section 134-34, any firearm or ammunition from any individual who is lawfully permitted to carry or possess the firearm or ammunition under part I of this chapter and who carries, possesses, or uses the firearm or ammunition in a lawful manner and in accordance with the criminal laws of this State.

(b)  Notwithstanding any provision of chapter 127A or any other law to the contrary, no person or government entity shall suspend, revoke, or limit, under any emergency or disaster relief powers or functions conferred, any lawfully acquired and maintained permit or license obtained under and in accordance with part I of this chapter.

(c)  For purposes of this section, "government entity" means any unit of government in this State, including the State and any county or combination of counties, department, agency, institution, board, commission, district, council, bureau, office, governing authority, or other instrumentality of state or county government, or corporation or other establishment owned, operated, or managed by or on behalf of this State or any county. [L 2010, c 96, §1; am L 2014, c 111, §7]

But they no can read

So does this mean we can all open carry? Or concealed?

That law protects against seizure from "individuals".  The situations being reported  involve banning sales of firearms.

In other words, the people who didn't plan ahead would be without defensive firearms -- as usual.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

robtmc

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 05:26:10 PM »
Ammo buy ASAP sounds like a plan, if any shortages of your current stockpile are seen.

RSN172

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2020, 07:23:22 PM »
So anyone who comes to take your firearm or ammo is breaking the law and since LEOs are armed, they are committing armed robbery.  You have the right to defend yourself accordingly.

edster48

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2020, 07:50:53 PM »
The state is the least of our worries.

Google: ESF-13.

Read it and weep.
Always be yourself.
Unless you can be a pirate.
Then always be a pirate.

changemyoil66

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 09:09:47 AM »
The state is the least of our worries.

Google: ESF-13.

Read it and weep.

NG activated and a few Marines units as well.

robtmc

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 06:54:17 PM »
So anyone who comes to take your firearm or ammo is breaking the law and since LEOs are armed, they are committing armed robbery.  You have the right to defend yourself accordingly.
Damn straight. 

And will do so.   

changemyoil66

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2020, 02:55:58 PM »
So Kauai mentioned they will have a curfew from 9pm-5am.  Is this legal because Martial Law hasn't been announced yet?  As in, even if you're outside, KPD can't issue you a ticket or arrest you.

6716J

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 03:51:41 PM »
So Kauai mentioned they will have a curfew from 9pm-5am.  Is this legal because Martial Law hasn't been announced yet?  As in, even if you're outside, KPD can't issue you a ticket or arrest you.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/03/18/kauai-mayor-institutes-nighttime-curfew-sweeping-effort-address-coronavirus/
COVID-19: Daily update, Wednesday, March 18 #FlattenTheCurve #ShakasNotShakes
**Please click here to read the Mayor's Emergency Rule #2 for details http://www.kauai.gov/Portals/0/Civil_Defense/Emergency%20Proclamations/Mayor%27s%20Emergency%20Rule%20%232_20200318.pdf COVID-19: Daily update, Wednesday, March 18 #KauaiIsOnVacation #FlattenTheCurve #ShakasNotShakes --Nighttime curfew to go into effect starting Friday, March 20 in support of emergency efforts; Mayor’s tells visitors “Kaua‘i is on vacation”-- LĪHU‘E – Mayor Derek S.K Kawakami has implemented, via emergency rule, an islandwide nighttime curfew beginning Friday, March 20. The curfew will be in effect from 9 p.m. through 5 a.m. daily until further notice. Every individual within the County of Kaua‘i must remain in their residence during these specified hours. “This decision was made with three goals in mind - one, protecting and preserving our existing resources, two, managing the spread of COVID-19 by increasing social distancing, and three, ensuring that essential services, operations, and family care can continue,” said Mayor Kawakami. “After taking an assessment of what will likely be a very long journey for all of us and the amount of limited resources that we have, specifically public safety, first responder, and healthcare workers, we must take bold steps to ensure that our public safety officials, first responders, and healthcare workers have the necessary environment in which to keep us all safe.” Mayor’s Emergency Rule #2 sets forth exceptions to the curfew, including: 1. Commuting to and from work; 2. Working for an essential service provider whose shifts are within the curfew window; 3. Delivery services associated with food service establishments or stores that sell food and household supplies; and 4. Seeking medical attention. Our houseless community is asked to shelter in place and avoid movement during these curfew hours. Mayor Kawakami also stated that airline travel to and from the island of Kaua‘i be limited to essential needs only. “Until further notice, visitors should not be traveling to our island for recreational purposes,” emphasized the Mayor. “Kaua‘i is on vacation!” Further, vacation industry partners are urged to work with their marketing teams to refrain from marketing Kaua‘i as a place to visit during this time in order to protect the health and safety of the community. “We understand that these measures will result in hardships for many of our business owners and residents,” added Mayor Kawakami. “But the longer it takes us to make these drastic decisions, the longer it will take us to get to a point of economic recovery. Small business owners are urged to visit, https://www.sba.gov/page/coronavirus-covid-19-small-business-guidance-loan-resources for a list of available resources. Additionally, workers experiencing layoffs should visit huiclaims.hawaii.gov for assistance. A copy of the Mayor’s Emergency Rule #2 can be found online at our KEMA website dedicated to COVID-19, www.kauai.gov/covid-19. ###

Posted by County of Kaua'i on Wednesday, March 18, 2020
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

hvybarrels

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2020, 03:08:26 PM »
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

RSN172

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2020, 04:55:51 PM »
Ammo buy ASAP sounds like a plan, if any shortages of your current stockpile are seen.
Min should be 2000 rds  for center fire,  5000 for rimfire.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 06:06:31 PM by RSN172 »

ren

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2020, 10:07:38 PM »
Deeds Not Words

zippz

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2020, 12:04:12 AM »
The guy from Maui brought up the language in one of the Senate bills during last weeks hearing that would allow the state to confiscate all firearms and ammo from gun shops during a state of emergency (like right now for example). I did not realize that was one of the provisions until he mentioned it, but it makes me wonder what other rotten easter eggs are hidden in our own current batch of emergency bills and proclamations.

This law is currently in the HRS for firearms, and the ammo bills amend it to include ammunition too.

4   (2) That the license during any time of national emergency
   5   or crisis, as defined in section 134-34, may be
   6   canceled or suspended.
   7   (3) That all firearms or ammunition for any firearm in the
   8   possession and control of any licensee at any time of
   9   national emergency or crisis, as defined in section
   10   134-34, may be seized and held in possession or
   11   purchased by or on the order of the governor until
   12   such time as the national emergency or crisis has
   13   passed, or until such time as the licensee and the
   14   government of the United States or the government of
   15   the State may agree upon some other disposition of the
   16   same.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

edster48

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2020, 05:53:52 AM »
Once they activate the NG, the law is what they say it is.

I give it another week at their current pace. No way HPD can handle it on their own.

They're boiling frogs.

Stay frosty.
Always be yourself.
Unless you can be a pirate.
Then always be a pirate.

drck1000

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2020, 09:47:34 AM »
Once they activate the NG, the law is what they say it is.

I give it another week at their current pace. No way HPD can handle it on their own.

They're boiling frogs.

Stay frosty.
You're quite optimistic at how quickly the military proceeds with stuff like paperwork to get folks going. . .  ;D