Geissele Triggers - What's So Good About Them? (Read 15025 times)

drck1000

Geissele Triggers - What's So Good About Them?
« on: July 05, 2018, 07:29:57 AM »
What's so good about Geissele triggers?

I've always been interested in them, but have just never gotten around to trying one.  I was pretty close to ordering their single stage trigger in their 4th of July sale, but I ended up ordering a bunch of other stuff, so I held off.  At least for now.

Understand that there are different triggers for different applications.  If I had an AR setup for precision shooting, I think I would like have a Geissele trigger, or at least have tried one.  They aren't cheap though. 

My two main ARs have the stock USGI triggers.  One Colt and the other BCM.  To me, they are good for what I use them for, which is training for defensive use.  I used to shoot USPSA/IPSC style matches with them, but haven't recently. 

Having never owned one, I always wondered what I was missing. 

Drakiir84

Re: Geissele Triggers - What's So Good About Them?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 07:38:31 AM »
What's so good about Geissele triggers?

I've always been interested in them, but have just never gotten around to trying one.  I was pretty close to ordering their single stage trigger in their 4th of July sale, but I ended up ordering a bunch of other stuff, so I held off.  At least for now.

Understand that there are different triggers for different applications.  If I had an AR setup for precision shooting, I think I would like have a Geissele trigger, or at least have tried one.  They aren't cheap though. 

My two main ARs have the stock USGI triggers.  One Colt and the other BCM.  To me, they are good for what I use them for, which is training for defensive use.  I used to shoot USPSA/IPSC style matches with them, but haven't recently. 

Having never owned one, I always wondered what I was missing.

Want to take my AR to the class on the 14th and run it a bit??  It's got a Super Dynamic Combat trigger in it.  Might as well see how it feels and determine if it's worth it to ya. 

I'm teaching a handgun safety class that day so I can't come :-(
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

Drakiir84

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 07:43:44 AM »
Oh I've also got a spare https://algdefense.com/alg-combat-trigger-act.html lying around if you wanna see the difference between 3 triggers.  Will sell super cheap if you want it ;-)
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

drck1000

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 07:44:58 AM »
Want to take my AR to the class on the 14th and run it a bit??  It's got a Super Dynamic Combat trigger in it.  Might as well see how it feels and determine if it's worth it to ya. 

I'm teaching a handgun safety class that day so I can't come :-(
Can you throw in about 100 rounds into the rifle bag too?  That should give me a good feel for the trigger.   ;D

I wanted to stick with a single stage trigger, but that one also caught my eye.  And the sale is still running. . .

I was actually thinking of testing out the AK in that class too.  So much stuff to try out, so little range time.  :(

drck1000

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 07:49:22 AM »
Oh I've also got a spare https://algdefense.com/alg-combat-trigger-act.html lying around if you wanna see the difference between 3 triggers.  Will sell super cheap if you want it ;-)
ALG was another that I have considered.  Both the QMS and ACT.

I might take you up on that.  Maybe for the thank you BBQ though. 

Drakiir84

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 07:50:49 AM »
Can you throw in about 100 rounds into the rifle bag too?  That should give me a good feel for the trigger.   ;D

I wanted to stick with a single stage trigger, but that one also caught my eye.  And the sale is still running. . .

I was actually thinking of testing out the AK in that class too.  So much stuff to try out, so little range time.  :(

My spare ACT is single stage, 5.5 lbs like most stock triggers but a little smoother.

Running and gunning/close-mid range there's no real difference for me going from 1 stage to 2 stage triggers.  2 stage shines a little brighter when making distance or precision shots with a 2 lbs second stage.
-Jeff Cooper

drck1000

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 07:58:26 AM »
My spare ACT is single stage, 5.5 lbs like most stock triggers but a little smoother.

Running and gunning/close-mid range there's no real difference for me going from 1 stage to 2 stage triggers.  2 stage shines a little brighter when making distance or precision shots with a 2 lbs second stage.
I've shot some two stage triggers here and there, but just never shot them that much.  I've shot some nice two stage triggers on bolt guns and damn can some of those second stage be unreal crisp. 

My interest in a single stage was more along the lines of that I'm so used to single stage USGI triggers, so similar in transition and a little bit more apples to apples.  Not really anything against the two stage. 

Drakiir84

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 08:03:36 AM »
I've shot some two stage triggers here and there, but just never shot them that much.  I've shot some nice two stage triggers on bolt guns and damn can some of those second stage be unreal crisp. 

My interest in a single stage was more along the lines of that I'm so used to single stage USGI triggers, so similar in transition and a little bit more apples to apples.  Not really anything against the two stage.

Even more reason to try it out! lolol.  Well the offer is open, and if you wanna pick up the ALG-ACT let me know. 
-Jeff Cooper

changemyoil66

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 08:49:53 AM »
I have the SSA trigger.  To me a trigger is a trigger and the only main diff would be the weight.  It's the indian, not the arrow.

But I've heard that Geiselle are "harder hitting" triggers and will set anything off.  Some other triggers may have issues with certain ammo.

I just bought it because of the black Friday sale (30% off).  They also aren't drop in's, so if that's a concern then another brand like ELF would be easier to install.

For personal XP, I got the SSA and the wife has a ELF comp trigger.  Of the 2, her trigger had light primer strikes right off the bat.  ELF made it right by sending me a new one no questions asked.  Even spoke to the owner of ELF and he gave me his direct line.  He even sent me the newer model of the comp trigger.  But I do see the difference when separating the upper and lower that the "harder hitting" Geiselle trigger.

No issues what so ever with Geiselle.  Could have just been a dud for the ELF.

Bota-CS1

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 09:28:22 AM »
Imagine a sheet of glass as thin as a sheet of paper, then striking it with a hammer.  That’s what the second stage feels like. It’s there one second and then not the next.  Poof. Gone.  The take up is smooth and buttery - the exact opposite of a new milspec trigger.
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

drck1000

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 09:51:35 AM »
Imagine a sheet of glass as thin as a sheet of paper, then striking it with a hammer.  That’s what the second stage feels like. It’s there one second and then not the next.  Poof. Gone.  The take up is smooth and buttery - the exact opposite of a new milspec trigger.
Smooth and buttery huh?   ;D

Would you want the trigger you just described on a rifle you intended to use for defensive purposes?  I'm not saying you wouldn't and to be frank, I dunno either way.  Kind of why I have been wanting to try one. 

I've shot some bolt guns where it had a trigger pretty close to what you describe.  Some were so crisp, that I was almost afraid to find the wall after the first stage.  Well, one of them had like a 1 lb trigger that even the owner said was "touchy".  Haha. 

I'm sure they are excellent triggers.  But I'm also afraid that once I try one in one gun, then I'm gonna want them in other guns. . .

Drakiir84

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2018, 09:59:08 AM »

Would you want the trigger you just described on a rifle you intended to use for defensive purposes?  I'm not saying you wouldn't and to be frank, I dunno either way.  Kind of why I have been wanting to try one. 

I've shot some bolt guns where it had a trigger pretty close to what you describe.  Some were so crisp, that I was almost afraid to find the wall after the first stage.  Well, one of them had like a 1 lb trigger that even the owner said was "touchy".  Haha. 

I'm sure they are excellent triggers. But I'm also afraid that once I try one in one gun, then I'm gonna want them in other guns. . .

That right there is the truth lol.  When I got my Tavor it wasn't long before I replaced the trigger pack with the Geissele super Sabra.  Now I need to put one in every rifle I buy....
-Jeff Cooper

changemyoil66

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 10:05:21 AM »

I'm sure they are excellent triggers.  But I'm also afraid that once I try one in one gun, then I'm gonna want them in other guns. . .

Remember it's how you articulate why you installed a "smooth and buttery" trigger.  Same goes with light, night sites, etc...

drck1000

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2018, 10:19:02 AM »
That right there is the truth lol.  When I got my Tavor it wasn't long before I replaced the trigger pack with the Geissele super Sabra.  Now I need to put one in every rifle I buy....

It starts with something small and then tends to snowball.  The AK project for example.  I just wanted a red dot on there.  I already had a spare dot, but the mount on the receiver was too high.  Enter acquiring a stamped AK in a good deal.  Many $$$ later, it has a red dot.  And then some...

Remember it's how you articulate why you installed a "smooth and buttery" trigger.  Same goes with light, night sites, etc...
Curiosity. . .

ren

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2018, 11:06:12 AM »
Bill Geiselle started with the "National Match" AR 2 stage trigger. It was as good as the much sought after unicorn of a trigger - the Krieger-Milazzo trigger. Defined 1st and 2nd stages. There is a wall then a crisp break with no creep.
The trigger shoe was also moved forward on the NM trigger - about an 1/8". I like it. Earned a few leg points with them. I had almost 10,000 round rimfire and centerfire through one and then it broke. Geiselle sent me a new one and some swag - no charge.
I tried almost all the triggers on the market with the exception of the MK trigger and none can compare. The best trigger I had next to the Geiselle was an RRA trigger tuned by John Holliger of White Oak. That trigger didn't break nor had any malfunctions.
Deeds Not Words

drck1000

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2018, 11:49:55 AM »
Bill Geiselle started with the "National Match" AR 2 stage trigger. It was as good as the much sought after unicorn of a trigger - the Krieger-Milazzo trigger. Defined 1st and 2nd stages. There is a wall then a crisp break with no creep.
The trigger shoe was also moved forward on the NM trigger - about an 1/8". I like it. Earned a few leg points with them. I had almost 10,000 round rimfire and centerfire through one and then it broke. Geiselle sent me a new one and some swag - no charge.
I tried almost all the triggers on the market with the exception of the MK trigger and none can compare. The best trigger I had next to the Geiselle was an RRA trigger tuned by John Holliger of White Oak. That trigger didn't break nor had any malfunctions.
I've heard good things about the RRA 2 stage triggers too. 

Some of my wondering about Geissele is how much of it is marketing hype and now that they are a known brand name.  As in how many folks get Geissele triggers and other products as some sort of status symbol as opposed to performance benefits.  The "they are known for elite level equipment, so I have to have it on my gun" kind of thinking.  I mean I have a Rolex, but my G-Shock tells time just as well and is what I wear 95% of the time. 

From what I can tell, they are an excellent company with a reputation for producing quality products as well as excellent CS.  I have one of their MK14 rails that is awaiting an upper to go with and one of their ambi charging handles.  They have quite a loyal following, which appears to be well earned.  Much of the loyalty I hear has been about Bill Geissele himself as much as the quality of the products. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2018, 03:03:55 PM »
I bought my Gieselle because it was recommended by a friend.  And being new, I asked him what is the 1st thing I should change to make my AR mine (different).  He said trigger.

I just got the handguard because it's so much cheaper when on sale.  There are others that cost less, but I like the name.  And in the end I only shoot at 25 yards so all these things increase performance slightly. Many have BCM and such handguards.  Not many have Geiselle.  So this one was a personal preference.  Oh and the handguard came with the gas tube, gas block, barrel nut, and tool.  Where as others don't come with the gas block/tube.  So it made it easier.

If you wanna try the SSA dual stage trigger LMK.  But in the end, like I mentioned above, it's the Indian, not the arrow.

ren

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2018, 03:43:49 PM »
Forgot to mention a faster lock time. The hammer has less mass and a heavier spring.
Best thing to improve accuracy on an AR is to float the barrel.
The trigger is for the Indian.
Deeds Not Words

ren

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2018, 04:34:33 PM »
I've heard good things about the RRA 2 stage triggers too. 

Some of my wondering about Geissele is how much of it is marketing hype and now that they are a known brand name.  As in how many folks get Geissele triggers and other products as some sort of status symbol as opposed to performance benefits.  The "they are known for elite level equipment, so I have to have it on my gun" kind of thinking.  I mean I have a Rolex, but my G-Shock tells time just as well and is what I wear 95% of the time. 

From what I can tell, they are an excellent company with a reputation for producing quality products as well as excellent CS.  I have one of their MK14 rails that is awaiting an upper to go with and one of their ambi charging handles.  They have quite a loyal following, which appears to be well earned.  Much of the loyalty I hear has been about Bill Geissele himself as much as the quality of the products.

Bill G. is a highpower shooter and before his trigger came along the only good trigger in the market was the RRA 2 stage, preferably tuned by John Holliger. The MK trigger was considered the best and the only ones I knew that had them were the military teams. The Jewell was funky with all these gears and springs and couldnt hold weight (in service rile matches the min. trigger weight was 4.5 lbs).
So like other engineers who were shooters he designed a trigger. His trigger was well received by the HP community and his company and products took off. HP shooters are less gimmicky. They only use stuff that works. I also use his "NM" mount as it is the only mount that can put a scope low and forward enough for HP position shooting: standing, sitting and prone.
Deeds Not Words

drck1000

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2018, 05:59:18 PM »
All of my ARs have free float hand guards. But kind of just happened that way as opposed to chasing the accuracy benefit. I’ve shot ARs without free float hand guards and I’ve noticed a POI shift a/ close as 50 yards with varying pressure on the hand guard on a rest. I’m sure it’s noticeable for the service rifle folks with slings.

For training classes, I’m sure I’d be just fine with a non free float hand guard. Though the fun challenges like walk back where you need a first shot hit of you’re out would be more interesting.

For triggers, I’m not really chasing a performance benefit. Just wondering what the deal is. I really don’t know, so I’d like to try. I’m sure their triggers can help performance, but I’m more just wanting to try. Even things like the straight trigger vs standard curved/bow. If the trigger staging, break, etc do help my shooting, then will be good first hand info. But not like I feel it’s a need.