Must Have Tools for Range Bag (Read 7497 times)

stangzilla

Re: Must Have Tools for Range Bag
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2019, 11:14:51 AM »
1 time I had a squib load from one of my reloads, I didn't have a rod to push it out but kokohead did

drck1000

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2019, 11:16:59 AM »
I put the target all the way on the right side of the frame, so I do less damage to the frame
lol
heads
Don’t forget to put the target on the top edge as well. :P

changemyoil66

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2019, 11:31:23 AM »
My hands do swear a lot, but I just wipe them on my pants or shirt.  The towel is for the face.  Swear drips down and goes into my eye pro causing vision to be blurry.  And cause my shirt is also sweary, I had to ask someone else if I can borrow the back of their shirt to wipe my eye pro.  Of course I said "no homo" first.  Mrs. CMO wasn't taking the class.  I usually use her shirt.

changemyoil66

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2019, 11:32:38 AM »
Don’t forget to put the target on the top edge as well. :P

Took my noob friend to the silly side.  Told him which target to go for, and he hit the one to the left and was all happy after missing terribly.  I told him, you do realize you were aiming for something else and hit that right?  He said, aw shit, that's right.

drck1000

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2019, 11:56:08 AM »
1 time I had a squib load from one of my reloads, I didn't have a rod to push it out but kokohead did
One of my shooting buddies used to load his IPSC/USPSA match rounds pretty close to min, so it wasn't that uncommon for him to have a "poof" instead of "BANG".  He usually carried a small hammer/mallet and a rod.  Though with semi autos, relatively easy to take out the barrel and improvise.  Chopsticks seems to be a common improvised tool.   ;D

Maybe a little different with revolvers as to ROs, looks much different working on a barrel out of a semi-auto as opposed to a revolver, even with the cylinder out.  One time, when I was RSO at SRGC, a guy managed to load a .357 Mag in his .38 SPL revolver.  He didn't fire it, but he managed to get the round into the firing position.  But when it got there, he couldn't get the cylinder out or advance the cylinder.  It seemed like the tip of the bullet head needed to be filed down.  No idea how he got the round into that position in the first place.  When my shift ended, he was still working on the revolver.  No idea what ended up happening, but I always remembered that.  I think a thin nail file would have done the trick, but it would have marred his cylinder and barrel throat.   :'(

Tom_G

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2019, 02:42:33 PM »
One time, when I was RSO at SRGC, a guy managed to load a .357 Mag in his .38 SPL revolver.  He didn't fire it, but he managed to get the round into the firing position.  But when it got there, he couldn't get the cylinder out or advance the cylinder.  It seemed like the tip of the bullet head needed to be filed down.  No idea how he got the round into that position in the first place.  When my shift ended, he was still working on the revolver.  No idea what ended up happening, but I always remembered that.  I think a thin nail file would have done the trick, but it would have marred his cylinder and barrel throat.   :'(

I've seen, more than once, a situation where a small frame .357 generated enough recoil that it actually nudged the bullets out of their cases a bit. Just a bit. But after pulling the trigger 2 or 3 times, the remaining rounds would have "stretched" enough that they became wedged and locked the cylinder in place.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

drck1000

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2019, 02:54:06 PM »
I've seen, more than once, a situation where a small frame .357 generated enough recoil that it actually nudged the bullets out of their cases a bit. Just a bit. But after pulling the trigger 2 or 3 times, the remaining rounds would have "stretched" enough that they became wedged and locked the cylinder in place.
Ahh, interesting.  Learn something new every day. 

So what is the proper or preferred method of addressing this condition?  If one has a revolver with pretty small gap, I am not sure if a file would fit. 

drck1000

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2019, 08:23:14 AM »
Went to Lowes yesterday for a few things I needed that should have cost about $30.  Ended up walking about spending about $100, with the difference being some new and replacement tools and new tool bag specifically for shooting range trips.  Lowes and Home Depot are dangerous for me.  I almost always end up walking out with more than what I went there for. . .

Tom_G

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2019, 09:32:55 PM »
Ahh, interesting.  Learn something new every day. 

So what is the proper or preferred method of addressing this condition?  If one has a revolver with pretty small gap, I am not sure if a file would fit. 

Brute force. The non-marring hammer helped. And, to prevent recurrences, crimped loads.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

drck1000

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2019, 10:10:07 AM »
Brute force. The non-marring hammer helped. And, to prevent recurrences, crimped loads.
Ahh. And hope the bullet head is soft enough to sort of push through.

Rhed

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2019, 10:24:52 AM »
Toilet paper.. sometimes no more toilet paper in the restroom. Lol

macsak

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2019, 12:07:16 PM »
Ahh. And hope the bullet head is soft enough to sort of push through.

heads

drck1000

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2019, 12:19:43 PM »
Toilet paper.. sometimes no more toilet paper in the restroom. Lol
:rofl:

Good point. I was mostly thinking about tools for one’s firearms, but always gotta take care of “business”.  ;D

heads
Hopefully only one head. If he didn’t learn the first time, then #nofocus

Bushido

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2019, 05:45:12 PM »
Range bag always has:
IFAK
Multi tool- hardly use it
Allen and Torx wrenches- use by far the most
4-5 pin front sight tool
Cresent wrench
Screwdriver with many bits
Pick
Gun oil
Solvent

Gun bags have more specific tools.

Bota-CS1

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2019, 06:39:52 AM »
I put the target all the way on the right side of the frame, so I do less damage to the frame
lol
heads

Yeah the stand takes a beating when I’m sighting in for the first time.  Harambe...I mean 🦍 glue and soft jaw clamps to the rescue.
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.