Army sets sights on new concealable machine gun (Read 3561 times)

punaperson

Army sets sights on new concealable machine gun
« on: October 22, 2018, 07:38:01 AM »
These will be "legal" in Hawaii, right?

(Interesting hard rock instrumental music accompanies the video... never heard that on one of these narratorless video news presentations before... crank it up!)

Army sets sights on new concealable machine gun

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/army-sets-sights-on-new-concealable-machine-gun

Soldiers may soon have a covertly-carried, powerful machine gun to defend Americans who are at high risk from enemy attacks.

The new weapon would significantly boost the amount of firepower soldiers have at their fingertips to respond to a threat against individuals who are particularly attractive targets to terrorists, for example.

The threat to high-profile targets was highlighted recently when U.S. Army Brig. Gen. Jeffrey Smiley was wounded in a Taliban attack in Afghanistan’s Kandahar province.

While the weapon eyed by the military will deliver a more muscular response than those that tend to be carried on Protective Security Details, the goal is for the new beast to minimize collateral damage.

Dubbed the “Sub Compact Weapon,” this Army initiative aims to produce a smart, ultra-compact design for specific missions. This is essential because it means soldiers can be armed with a discreet and easy-to-conceal weapon. It also enables a soldier to be fast and agile to stop any threat.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 07:43:35 AM by punaperson »

drck1000

Re: Army sets sights on new concealable machine gun
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 08:08:23 AM »
The SIG offering (I think a variant of their MCX) was discussed some on one of the shows on The Outdoor Channel recently. 

Seems like the requirement is for a 9 mm submachine gun.  Seems like there would be plenty of choices already developed and no need to commission a competition, but that's how .gov contracts work. 

I thought they were looking for compact versions in 5.56.  I recall reading or hearing about a compact version intended for helicopter pilots.  Another variant that I would think has been tinkered with to a great extent already. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 09:19:48 AM »
I always thought the P90 was a great PDW weapon.  50rd mag that's almost the same size as a 30rd MP5 mag.  The only issue is the availability of the 5.7 rds.  That's not something that's kept in the supply tent or where ever they're going to be.  Maybe FN should make a 9mm version?  Or overload the market and make buku rounds of 5.7.

To me, having a 9mm PDW would be under powered.  Already there's lots of choices for 9mm (MP7, MP5K, Uzi, Mac10).  Maybe the 556 to bulky/heavy, so a 5.7 would be in go in between.

RSN172

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 03:53:48 PM »
I was able to shoot a machine gun for the first time at Front Sight last week.  Ran two 25 rd mags through an Uzi.  After shooting that Uzi, I find it hard to believe that someone can empty an entire magazine with as much control like shooting water out of a garden hose, just like they show in the movies.

Surf

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 06:04:19 PM »
Several options available for quite some time, just that the Army is just now getting to the party.  Forgot to add that I chuckled a bit at the 9mm to control over penetration. 

Surf

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 06:07:30 PM »
I was able to shoot a machine gun for the first time at Front Sight last week.  Ran two 25 rd mags through an Uzi.  After shooting that Uzi, I find it hard to believe that someone can empty an entire magazine with as much control like shooting water out of a garden hose, just like they show in the movies.
While maybe not like shooting water out of a garden hose, but experienced technique goes a long way.  When I went to the HK fighting school in the early 2000's they had a very strict qualification that included full auto with some quite small target zones.  I was skeptical myself at first. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 08:46:53 AM »
I have shot the following on full auto with zero fundamentals or training:

1) Uzi
2) Tommy
3) P90
4) Mac-10 (with stock)

And of them all for a noob, the P90 had the best grouping on full auto at 10 yards (basketball size).  But the most fun was the tommy.  Unleashed the entire mag in about 1.5 seconds.

RSN172

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 11:22:53 AM »
I wanted to shoot Tommy at FS, but it was bring repaired.

changemyoil66

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 11:24:43 AM »
I wanted to shoot Tommy at FS, but it was bring repaired.

Gotta hold it tight.  My friend didnt so loose + shitty range ammo=stovepipes.

drck1000

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 11:49:52 AM »
I've only shot a F/A MP5 and an AR.  Both were super fun. 

I've shot S/A uzis.  I hate that damn gun. 

Surf

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 12:50:48 PM »
My lead guy testing a CZ Bren.  Not too many rounds, but he can maintain this full mag.

A blast from the past, doing some testing back in the day.  10.3" Colt M4.

drck1000

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 02:55:27 PM »
My lead guy testing a CZ Bren.  Not too many rounds, but he can maintain this full mag.

A blast from the past, doing some testing back in the day.  10.3" Colt M4.
Those last two sequences on the 10.3” Colt!  :geekdanc: