Used gun prices (Read 3714 times)

jc2721

Used gun prices
« on: August 09, 2012, 07:20:40 PM »
To me, new guns are like new cars and new electronics--once it's out the door it depreciates in value.  Also, like classic cars that are kept in original condition, over time guns can  appreciate in value.

What I am curious about is your thoughts on what is a "fair" price for the "average" used gun.  I know there's no such thing as an "average" gun but lets' say that Shooter X has a firearm that currently retails for $1000.  He/she has shot 200 to 500 rounds through it, it has been cleaned and lubed properly after each use, it functions properly and displays "acceptable" accuracy (whatever that may be).  Maybe there's a few small dings or scratches from range use/transporting/general handling, let's say the firearm rates 95-98%.

The firearm is still manufactured today, it is not heavily backordered (unlike the 10/22 takeddown which is almost impossible for find and people are scalping them on GB) parts and accessories are available, and it's a reasonably popular firearm,  not some oddball or collector's piece.

Shooter X, for whatever reason, decides to sell his/her firearm through this forum.  What do you think he/she should reasonably expect to get for the firearm?

Let's talk in terms of percentage off of current retail.  Here's what I think:  X should expect to price his/her firearm at 30% off of retail ($700). IMO, no one is going to pay 10% to 15% off for a used firearm that's currently available.  You could ask 20% less ($800) but at that price you'll get a lot of tire kickers and you'll waste a lot of time showing the firearm and possibly dealing with lowballers (no offense--I've been called that more than once, and that's by friends!). 

At 30% off retail, someone will definitely be interested in it and it should sell pretty quickly.  By my reasoning, if I wanted to sell a  Ruger 10/22 that currently goes for $250, I would price it at $175 and it should sell quickly.  If I priced it at $225 (10% off) I'd probably be offered a bunch of Junior Mints or Almond Roca.  If I consigned the piece to a gun shop, it would probably be priced no higher than $200.  I would then pay them 20% commission, so I'd end up with $160.

So, what do you think?

SpeedTek

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Car Nut, Machinist, Gunsmith & Monkey
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
Re: Used gun prices
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 08:00:28 PM »
It all depends its all Supply and Demand.

Just like a LWRC.  Customer bought it for $3800  Shot 500 rounds.  then wife found out how much he paid for it.  made him sell it.
since it was still in demand he sold it for $3800 with a used Eotech sight on it.

Ruger 10/22's used 70/80's vintage sell for more than they were New as long as they are clean with no rust. $200

A 10/22 made after 2006 will go about $125-175

Used Colt AR 16" LW or M4 barrels USED go for $200 and up

Political Correctness is FOS
I collect M1 Carbines, PM me if youre selling!
& Bolt Action 308s also 10/22 Rugers.
Buying STOCK Ruger 10/22 parts and bits, PM me.
Now doing Vintage VW Parts!

GreenStomper

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 08:36:16 PM »
I usually check out the online gun auctions. Some prices are high, some are low. Average them out and there ya go. A firearm is worth what somebody is willing to pay.
God, guns, and guts made America. Let's keep all three!

Kevin

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 08:45:03 PM »
I priced it at $225 (10% off) I'd probably be offered a bunch of Junior Mints or Almond Roca. 

So, what do you think?

funny :rofl:

SpeedTek

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Car Nut, Machinist, Gunsmith & Monkey
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 10:43:52 PM »
Online Auctions plus $50 Hawaii factor
Political Correctness is FOS
I collect M1 Carbines, PM me if youre selling!
& Bolt Action 308s also 10/22 Rugers.
Buying STOCK Ruger 10/22 parts and bits, PM me.
Now doing Vintage VW Parts!

Kingkeoni

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 11:40:01 PM »
If I priced it at $225 (10% off) I'd probably be offered a bunch of Junior Mints or Almond Roca. 

Haha, sounds like one of my offers.  :rofl:
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Tom_G

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 04:06:44 PM »
You ever go to garage sales?  We do, fairly often.  It's amazing to me how many people who hold garage sales seem to miss the point.  Offering a $800 dining set for $600 is not a deal, it's absurd.  I have the same attitude about new and used guns.  About 90% of my collection is used (most of them VERY used).  There's no way I'd pay 80% retail for a used gun that's currently easily available.  I've bought more than one gun that was "95-98%" only to find out that there was something WRONG with it that, short of shooting, there was no way to detect.  And, of course, with a private seller, no warranties, expressed or implied.  Caveat Emptor.  So if I'm going to take a chance on an unproven gun, no matter HOW unused it appears to be, the discount had better be enough to make the risk more acceptable. 

Now, if the gun is desirable and hard to find, like a cherry Perisan mauser; or, if you meet me at the range and prove to me that it works as advertised, I may reconsider.  Otherwise, I get sketchy at 60%, and walk away around 75%. 
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Bigkahuna808

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • "He's got the eye of the Jew"
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 04:37:07 PM »
Like on pawn stars offer low...and they counter.  You go up a dollar.
Its odd pieces can vary here in Hawaii a Toyota truck is worth double here than in the mainland.
If the gun spends life as a safe queen and works its worth more to the collector
As for me th gun can be beat down like a old military surplus gun or police trade in cause I wanna shoot it. 
But hey most people will lowball the price.  Worst they can say it no

BananaClip

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 09:15:44 PM »
Yeah that sucks when you want something so BADLY but its just outta your price range, so you toss and turn all night unable to

sleep... Then you have a hard time concentrating all day at work, thinking about how can you can get the seller to drop the price...

You bring out all the different excuses and reasons why the seller should drop the price......

1) It's cheaper on GUNBROKER

2) I can buy it cheaper at the firearm store down the street

3) I'm helping you out by buying it now

4) You should drop the price because it was on the classifieds too long

5) Right now I have 3/4 of the money and I get paid next week

6) I know it's selling for a $1000 but would you take $500?

7) How much did you buy it?
"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth"- Genesis1:1 KJV

"The Truth Shall Set You Free"

"Once Blind But Now i See"