Pistol from mainland (Read 867 times)

Ajax_808

Pistol from mainland
« on: May 05, 2021, 09:11:49 PM »
I still have several guns on the mainland that I didn’t bring back with me when I moved home. If I don’t have a hand gun permit, only a PTA, I am assuming I can only bring back long guns and not my handguns. Is this correct?

HeliosRX8

Re: Pistol from mainland
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 10:35:51 PM »
Are you flying with them here? If so I believe you only need to register them. Good thing they opening up walk in registrations shortly. 

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 11:12:35 PM »
I still have several guns on the mainland that I didn’t bring back with me when I moved home. If I don’t have a hand gun permit, only a PTA, I am assuming I can only bring back long guns and not my handguns. Is this correct?

If you are the current owner of the firearms, then you just need to do an Out-of-State Registration.  That's for all handguns and long guns.

If you already have a current long gun permit, that helps.  They've already got you in the system and run at least one background check.

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

6716J

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 07:39:07 AM »
If YOU are bringing them back with you on a flight, then it's easy as Flapp said, just go register them.

Now if you are having them shipped here, there are 2 options:
1) Just have them shipped to an FFL, where you will have to go through the whole PTA process
2) Ship them to yourself via common carrier (UPS, FedEx). There is a process for this. Google "ship firearms to self". There is lots of info, including from the ATF.

ATF
Transferring/Shipping/Possession of Firearms:

4. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to an individual who resides in a different State? What if the individual resides within the same State?

Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or she may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. The GCA provides an exception from this prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. For example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under a will or by State law upon death of the owner. See 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(5)(A). In regard to transferring firearms between individuals residing in the same state, any person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of the State where he resides as long as he or she does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. Please note that there may be State and local laws that regulate firearm transactions. Any person considering acquiring or transferring a firearm should contact his or her State Attorney General’s Office to inquire about the laws and possible State or local firearms restrictions. A list of State Attorney General contact numbers may be found at NAAG | NAAG.

5. May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?

Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner of the firearm “in the care of” the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner of the firearm must not open the package or take possession of the firearm. The out-of-State resident is encouraged to place the package in a safe and secure location until the owner of the firearm is available to take physical possession.

6. May I lawfully ship a firearm directly to an out-of-State licensee, or must I have a licensee in my State ship it to him? May the licensee return the firearm to me, even if the shipment is across State lines?

Any person may ship firearms directly to a licensee in any State, with no requirement for another licensee to ship the firearm. However, handguns and other concealable firearms are not mailable through the United States Postal Service and must be shipped via private common or contract carrier (18 U.S.C. § 1715). The USPS and private common or contract carriers may also have additional restrictions on firearms shipments by unlicensed persons. Firearms shipped to FFLs for repair or any other lawful purpose may be returned to the person from whom received without transferring the firearm through an FFL in the recipient’s State of residence. FFLs may also return a replacement firearm of the same kind and type to the person from whom received (18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(2)(A)). An ATF Form 4473 is required for the return of the firearm, except in instances when a firearm is delivered to a licensee for the sole purpose of repair or customizing, and the same firearm or a replacement firearm is returned to the person from whom received (27 CFR § 478.124(a)).
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.