Thoughts on Gun Panic Buying? (Read 14200 times)

aieahound

Re: Thoughts on Gun Panic Buying?
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2020, 03:41:44 PM »
Almost always...
If you feel you Need/Want guns and ammo due to a current situation and don’t have any, it’s a little late to get started.

Phazuka

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2020, 12:54:56 AM »
People were lined up at Young Guns yesterday. because they're limiting the number of people inside the store to allow for social distancing.

Mahalo to the Hawaii Historic Arms Association for going ahead with last weekend's gun show. Otherwise, even more people would be desperately seeking guns and ammo.

Condolences to owners of new guns who were hoping to break or zero them in at Koko Head. I share your pain.
You only really need a 25m zero.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2020, 01:32:00 AM »
You only really need a 25m zero.

Bore sighting should be close enough.  If possible, you can rest the firearm on a stable surface, align a "target" centered in the barrel (if you can look through it), and then adjust the sights onto the target -- without moving the firearm!  (goes without saying, but you know how that goes!).  If the target (dot on the wall) lines up centered in the bore and in the sights simultaneously, it's good enough.

If you can't see through the barrel, you can use a laser bore sight.  Plenty of people on here have them if you need to borrow.

Still, you need to practice with live ammo to learn how it handles and ensure it functions 100%.  Firearms have been known to be sold with problems, both new and used.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Phazuka

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2020, 02:19:45 AM »
Bore sighting should be close enough.  If possible, you can rest the firearm on a stable surface, align a "target" centered in the barrel (if you can look through it), and then adjust the sights onto the target -- without moving the firearm!  (goes without saying, but you know how that goes!).  If the target (dot on the wall) lines up centered in the bore and in the sights simultaneously, it's good enough.

If you can't see through the barrel, you can use a laser bore sight.  Plenty of people on here have them if you need to borrow.

Still, you need to practice with live ammo to learn how it handles and ensure it functions 100%.  Firearms have been known to be sold with problems, both new and used.
Drawing and dry firing is something new and seasoned shooters can do at home and do it enough to get very proficient at without any ammo. 

At the range you can do low round drills, practicing from a low ready, present and I use the multiple circle targets, put two shots in one circle and 1 shot in the next circle with a timer and work on getting the splits down to sub 1 sec with accurate shot placements.  With one mag you can do 30 reps.

passivekinetic

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2020, 06:21:53 PM »
You don't have to be present at HPD when the buyer registers the long gun he purchased from you.

It's theoretically possible the "buyer" doesn't register the gun in his name and does something using a gun still in you name, right?

I heard that's why we MUST be present to ENSURE the ownership transfer is done.
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

Heavies

« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2020, 06:41:12 PM »
It's theoretically possible the "buyer" doesn't register the gun in his name and does something using a gun still in you name, right?

As a seller, you do not need to be present at HPD.

aieahound

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2020, 06:52:50 PM »

Theoretically you need need to notify HPD within 10 (?) days of selling a gun. (Like selling a car)
Hence the receipt with the buyers info and permit #.
Don’t need to be present.

I once went into HPD while registering a firearm and had a bunch of receipts from guns I sold a while before and asked Del Prado (tall bald guy with sense of humor) to check to make sure they were all registered by the new owners.
Del Prado gave me gas, but he checked and confirmed.
I miss the the old window gang.

I only sold to members of this forum who had multiple posts.

Edit: corrected By Flapp.  It’s within  2 days.   See below for cite by Flapp.
I was too lazy to look up the actual time frame Hence the question mark.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 10:21:53 AM by aieahound »

NoScade

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2020, 07:13:14 PM »
Was at HPD registering a pistol today.   The officer at the window said 90% of all the applicants in the last 2 weeks were first time buyers. :shake:

changemyoil66

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2020, 07:19:15 PM »
Theoretically you need need to notify HPD within 10 (?) days of selling a gun. (Like selling a car)
Hence the receipt with the buyers info and permit #.
Don’t need to be present.

I once went into HPD while registering a firearm and had a bunch of receipts from guns I sold a while before and asked Del Prado (tall bald guy with sense of humor) to check to make sure they were all registered by the new owners.
Del Prado gave me gas, but he checked and confirmed.
I miss the the old window gang.

I only sold to members of this forum who had multiple posts.
Is there such a law?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2020, 07:34:57 PM »
Is there such a law?

Sort of.  It's not 10 days.  It's 48 hours.

§134-2  Permits to acquire.
(f)  ...
[handguns:] The person who is transferring title to the firearm shall sign the permit in ink and cause the permit to be delivered or sent by registered mail to the issuing authority within forty-eight hours after transferring the firearm.
In all cases where a rifle or shotgun is acquired from another person within the State, the person who is transferring title to the rifle or shotgun shall submit, within forty-eight hours after transferring the firearm, to the authority that issued the permit to acquire, the following information, in writing:  name of the person who transferred the firearm, name of the person to whom the title to the firearm was transferred; names of the manufacturer and importer; model; type of action; caliber or gauge; and serial number, as applicable.

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/Vol03_Ch0121-0200D/HRS0134/HRS_0134-0002.htm

:shaka:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Bota-CS1

« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2020, 08:31:19 PM »
Was at HPD registering a pistol today.   The officer at the window said 90% of all the applicants in the last 2 weeks were first time buyers. :shake:

Sweet, that means there’ll be a lot of cheap guns once this thing blows over.  ;D
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

dogman

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2020, 08:39:12 PM »
Who is this Corona Virus? The best gun salesman since Obama?

drck1000

« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2020, 09:53:39 AM »
Sweet, that means there’ll be a lot of cheap guns once this thing blows over.  ;D
Got me thinking of all of the guns that I saw on the LGS' shelved maybe 2-3 weeks ago.  I've been wanting a Glock 21 for a while :hmm:

It will be interesting on how things will be once this stuff blows over.  It seems to be that new guy buyers tend to overestimate the value of their guns and other gear.  But I could see those who are hurting $$$-wise and will just want cash ASAP. 

drck1000

« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2020, 09:59:06 AM »
Who is this Corona Virus? The best gun salesman since Obama?
Best salesmen of just about everything.  There are some items that I'm seeing low or out of stock that I wouldn't think people would stock up on, ever. 

stangzilla

« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2020, 10:53:03 AM »
had a coworker last week ask me about getting a firearm.  previously his wife gave him the veto, but all the stuff now, she changed her mind.  but he has no clue of how to get one, so I explained the process and he said something to the tune of, "wow, I didn't know was that hard to get a firearm."
another friend that wasn't really an AR guy now asks me if I can build one for him bc now he feels he needs something that's more defensive
I remember I wasn't really an AR guy until the Obama scare, then I bought an AR and 3 lowers in a panic buy.  but turns out now I like building AR's  :D

drck1000

« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2020, 03:42:20 PM »
had a coworker last week ask me about getting a firearm.  previously his wife gave him the veto, but all the stuff now, she changed her mind.  but he has no clue of how to get one, so I explained the process and he said something to the tune of, "wow, I didn't know was that hard to get a firearm."
another friend that wasn't really an AR guy now asks me if I can build one for him bc now he feels he needs something that's more defensive
I remember I wasn't really an AR guy until the Obama scare, then I bought an AR and 3 lowers in a panic buy.  but turns out now I like building AR's  :D
I've had a few folks who have reached out to me regarding interest in firearms, but none who have asked about buying one.   

One good friend, whose wife is rabidly against guns, which of course means he can't own one, actually took the class a while back, but never bought a handgun. Now he and a couple of chicks that we hang out with here and there all want to go shooting.  One of the chicks mentioned that she's afraid of guns, but mentioned that she's now down to try.  I am hoping a silver lining of recent events have people waking up to realities that many of us are already aware of. 

jc2721

« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2020, 03:44:48 PM »
chicks O0

stangzilla

« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2020, 03:56:57 PM »
I've had a few folks who have reached out to me regarding interest in firearms, but none who have asked about buying one.   

One good friend, whose wife is rabidly against guns, which of course means he can't own one, actually took the class a while back, but never bought a handgun. Now he and a couple of chicks that we hang out with here and there all want to go shooting.  One of the chicks mentioned that she's afraid of guns, but mentioned that she's now down to try.  I am hoping a silver lining of recent events have people waking up to realities that many of us are already aware of.

better show those chicks your Python.    :shaka:

drck1000

« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2020, 04:22:57 PM »
better show those chicks your Python.    :shaka:
Who says I didn't?   8)

I mean it is something to behold.  Very impressive and a true work of art.  Being an older model. . . wait, which Python you taking about?   ???

:rofl:

One is my buddy's side chick.  Well, they are each other's side things.  The other chick is her HS BFF.  She, uh, has a nice personality.  Haha.  Nah, she's decently cute.  Will have to see how she handles my Python.    :shake:  :rofl:

changemyoil66

« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2020, 05:28:24 PM »
Sort of.  It's not 10 days.  It's 48 hours.

§134-2  Permits to acquire.
https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/Vol03_Ch0121-0200D/HRS0134/HRS_0134-0002.htm

:shaka:
So its not the sellers duty to check if the buys has a permit to acquire? Its the buyers problem if they dont have one.

I remember when adding the wifes name to the pistols, she had to sign the back of my handgun specific permit to acquire. I wonder if hpd would let u take that from the station?