Spartan Race Hawaii (Read 26307 times)

drck1000

Re: Spartan Race Hawaii
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2016, 10:36:44 AM »
yup. coupon is ALOHA10 for anybody signing up. 10% off
I used the code "MEMORIAL" for $20 off the sprint.  Would be $30 off the super and $40 off the beast. 

Gotta get ready for those damn burpees.   :(

jonjon

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2016, 11:16:31 AM »
I used the code "MEMORIAL" for $20 off the sprint.  Would be $30 off the super and $40 off the beast. 

Gotta get ready for those damn burpees.   :(

Hey - if you pass the obstacle you don't have to do burpees  :thumbsup:

drck1000

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2016, 11:33:42 AM »
Hey - if you pass the obstacle you don't have to do burpees  :thumbsup:
:shaka:

I'm already preparing for at least a few that I won't pass.  Or maybe I'd rather just concede the burpees.  Haha   ;D

Most seem pretty straight forward, but you never know.  I've heard that the spear throw one is pretty difficult, as in it's harder than it looks.   

MMM

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2016, 09:43:03 PM »
:shaka:

I'm already preparing for at least a few that I won't pass.  Or maybe I'd rather just concede the burpees.  Haha   ;D

Most seem pretty straight forward, but you never know.  I've heard that the spear throw one is pretty difficult, as in it's harder than it looks.   
preparing but i thought i was in a little better shape.......round is a shape.

5'7"  196lb   21% bf starting stats. currently at: 181  17% bf. hope to be at: 165  10-12% bf by race day so i can at least be light enough to finish doing my burpees.   :shaka:

drck1000

« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2016, 09:03:00 AM »
preparing but i thought i was in a little better shape.......round is a shape.

5'7"  196lb   21% bf starting stats. currently at: 181  17% bf. hope to be at: 165  10-12% bf by race day so i can at least be light enough to finish doing my burpees.   :shaka:
Which level race are you signed up for? 

I'm probably pretty close to your (former) current stats.  I was doing Insanity to lose weight on a bet and got down to about 175-180ish and was pretty darn lean, at least for me.   :(

I don't plan on training specifically for the race.  Just get back into some running here and there.  Seems like we'll have a pretty large group with a wide range of fitness levels, from almost grandmother to pretty fit 20-somethings.  Believe the plan is to stick together, so I just can't be the slowest.   ;D

MMM

« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2016, 11:15:20 AM »
Which level race are you signed up for? 

I'm probably pretty close to your (former) current stats.  I was doing Insanity to lose weight on a bet and got down to about 175-180ish and was pretty darn lean, at least for me.   :(

I don't plan on training specifically for the race.  Just get back into some running here and there.  Seems like we'll have a pretty large group with a wide range of fitness levels, from almost grandmother to pretty fit 20-somethings.  Believe the plan is to stick together, so I just can't be the slowest.   ;D

we're in the sprint in a mixed group. youngest is 15yrs and oldest is 57.  us old farts went in on a bet with the kids, lol! we refuse to lose to them in anything or......die trying.   :thumbs:

same strategy here. to not be the slowest in the group and maybe, just maybe.......ahead. i already know i can outpace my 16 yr old son right now but, he'll probably train for 2 weeks before and blow right past me. LOL!

drck1000

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2016, 08:05:32 AM »
we're in the sprint in a mixed group. youngest is 15yrs and oldest is 57.  us old farts went in on a bet with the kids, lol! we refuse to lose to them in anything or......die trying.   :thumbs:

same strategy here. to not be the slowest in the group and maybe, just maybe.......ahead. i already know i can outpace my 16 yr old son right now but, he'll probably train for 2 weeks before and blow right past me. LOL!
If we all stay together, which I believe is the plan, I know I won't be the slowest of the group.  At least I think. . .  :P

Though we are planning this as a group thing and stay together, where I am sure we'll all be supportive of everyone, I'm sure there will be a good deal of competitiveness going on for sure.   ;D

drck1000

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2016, 08:26:23 AM »
So how did everyone do?

We ended up having almost 20 in our group.  It was tougher than I had envisioned, but doable even if one didn't really train for the race.  My buddy that came along with this group didn't really train and he did ok.  He said his cardio was lacking at times, but not too bad. 

We started off as a group and got separated after the first set of wall obstacles.  I saw the guys in our group at the top of the cargo net, but that's the last I saw of them.  There was a log jam at the cargo net due to the single file path after that.  We probably waited about 30 minutes at the top of the cargo net.  Those in our group who were behind us got diverted around. . .  There were many lines.  Some were frustrating, but some where somewhat of a welcome break, especially in the second half when many obstacles tested your grip strength. 

When we were standing in line to get our packets, I was behind a "test runner" guy who had run the course in the morning and was getting his packet for his timed afternoon run.  He gave us a LOT tips that helped, particularly with the rock bucket.  The sandbag carry kicked my ass in that at the start, one guy in our group cramped up badly so I was helping him carry his sandbags to the top of the climb.  After that, I cramped up, but everyone was ahead of me, so I just had to suffer for a bit. 

Overall, it was very fun.  Longer distance than I thought, but a good test physically as well as mentally.  There are folks in out group that want to try the super next year.  I'll have to think about it.  If I did commit to it, I'd have to train more.  I think my cardio was fine.  Could've been better for sure.  Thinking back, I would've done more trail running or hiking with decent grades as opposed to running on mostly flat pavement.  Familiarity with the obstacles will definitely help as well.