Limbsaver Bull Barrel Deresonator (Barrel Tuner) (Read 20380 times)

Inspector

Limbsaver Bull Barrel Deresonator (Barrel Tuner)
« on: June 25, 2017, 03:50:30 PM »
This review is about the Limbsaver Bull Barrel Deresonator (Barrel Tuner) also known as LimbSaver Sharpshooter X-Ring Barrel Dampener. I purchased it through Amazon Prime for under $8. However, you can only get the free shipping if you add it on to your order with something else. Here is the link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KOWE82/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Background:
I own an older Anschutz Model 64 Target model which I purchased with my allowance back in 1970. So the gun is 47 years old, I was 12 years old when I bought it. I shot competition with it from 12 to 14 years old. Back then I only shot Remington green box standard velocity out of the gun. All competition was shot at 50 feet in prone, sitting, kneeling and standing. After around 16 the gun was put away and I did not shoot it again until I moved here (Oahu) 7 years ago. After having to fix a warped stock, replacing the Olympic sights with a cheap scope I started trying to test the gun with every brand and type of .22 ammo I could find on the island. While I found some ammo that would group well, I would get flyers every few rounds. The flyers would open up 50 yard groups from around .75" to 1.25-1.50" groups. I tried everything I could think of to close up those flyers. Nothing worked. So I decided to do the last thing I know might work and that is a barrel tuner.

I found an all metal barrel tuner online that ran around $100 so I waited until I had the money and I was ready to buy it when I searched for it on Amazon and found this rubber barrel tuner for under $8. For 8 bucks I can be a big spender. I found a YouTube video with this product and decided to order it. I read the instructions and put a light layer of Ballistol inside the tuner and placed it over the barrel about 1" from the muzzle end. I chose a couple of average ammo choices and tried to shoot for groups. I first shot a 3 round group with Aguila Sub Sonic of about 0.50" at 50 yards. I increased the group size to 5 rounds and one round opened it up to about 0.75". A 10 round group was around 1" while shooting with a light wind. I was very happy with these results. Then I tried Aguila Golden Eagle which is the equivalent of CCI Standard Velocity. First group of 3 all touched!!! A grouping of 10 was 0.50". After establishing a baseline I now moved the tuner one half inch towards the breech as described in the instructions. Immediately the groups opened up noticably. I moved the tuner back and the groups tightened right back up. Next step is to try some real high quality ammo such as SK Standard + and SK Rifle Match which I have a supply of.

I am very happy with the quality of this product and for the price it works very well. I finally decided to shoot a group of 50 rounds and not try to wait for the wind to die down. So with the wind I shot a 50 round group at 50 yards at just under 1" with the Aguila Golden Eagle.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

oldfart

Re: Limbsaver Bull Barrel Deresonator (Barrel Tuner)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 04:15:58 PM »
But does it come in colors?
What, Me Worry?

macsak

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 06:29:35 PM »

ren

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 06:54:47 PM »
Deeds Not Words

rklapp

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 11:22:41 PM »
oldfart, that actually doesn't help much with accuracy.  :rofl:

Seriously, I was tempted to try one on my AR-15 but decided it looked too weird on my heavy barrel.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 06:01:14 PM by rklapp »
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

Inspector

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 11:34:51 AM »
Seriously, I was tempted to try one on my AR-15 but decided it looked too weird on my heavy barrel.
Turn it around 180 degrees so it doesn't look so weird.  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Heavies

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 09:26:28 PM »
That can cause negligent discharge of your 'weapon' if not careful...

oldfart

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 10:42:14 PM »

That can cause negligent discharge of your 'weapon' if not careful...
 :rofl:
What, Me Worry?

Heavies

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 08:40:28 AM »
On a more serious note Inspector.   How does it do at other distances?  I've read that barrel tuners are superb at the distance tuned, however, must be re-tuned at different yardlines.

Inspector

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 08:58:07 AM »
On a more serious note Inspector.   How does it do at other distances?  I've read that barrel tuners are superb at the distance tuned, however, must be re-tuned at different yardlines.
Never heard that before. I only shot it at 50 yards. I was just so happy it tightened up the groups. Next time, when I bring it with better ammo I'll try it out to 100 yards and I'll report back.

Heavies

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 01:00:04 PM »
Never heard that before. I only shot it at 50 yards. I was just so happy it tightened up the groups. Next time, when I bring it with better ammo I'll try it out to 100 yards and I'll report back.
Right on.  Thanks for experimenting.  I do know barrel tuners are quite popular with benchrest shooters, in both .22lr and centerfire rifles. Of course they use those big dollar metal micrometer adjustable doodads..   I guess when .0001" groups can make a difference,  guys try anything for an edge.

Inspector

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 02:00:10 PM »
Right on.  Thanks for experimenting.  I do know barrel tuners are quite popular with benchrest shooters, in both .22lr and centerfire rifles. Of course they use those big dollar metal micrometer adjustable doodads..   I guess when .0001" groups can make a difference,  guys try anything for an edge.
Those big dollar metal ones are $100+. I couldn't see myself buying one of those because I have .22 rifles that shoot even better without the tuner. This rifle has a lot of sentimental value and I shoot it a lot. I just knew it could do better than it was doing. Thinking it could shoot much better before I put the tuner on I even went as far as shooting some of my period correct Remington Green Box Standard Velocity from the 60's. That is what I shot out of it when I shot competition. And it still didn't group as well as I thought it should.

I just bought a used Leupold VX-III 4.5-14 and I think this rifle deserves it now that it shoots pretty good. I'll put it on and try out some match quality ammo and report back.

esk808

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 03:18:01 PM »

I just ordered one from Amazon for $7.39.

I want to see first-hand how it works, compared to the Harrell tuner I have....

$7.39 vs. $150 and then some with extra weights.......................   :'(

esk808

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 03:18:58 PM »

Yes, in colors.   Black & Tan     ;)

Inspector

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 05:11:18 PM »

I didn't want to spend all that money on a tuner and not have it make a difference on my rifle. That is why I figured it was worth the $7.39 to find out. Now that I know it works well, I might consider getting the Harrell. I want to see how well it does with some good quality target/match ammo first. I'm not expecting perfection. Just basic small groups without one or two fliers that open the group up tremendously.

I have no doubt that the Harrell tuner will probably do much better than this product. I am interested in hearing from you about how it works for you when you get it.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

esk808

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 12:58:16 AM »

Auwe  >:(

In my rush to order this from Amazon, I neglected to double-check the size - standard barrel vs bull barrel......

Ordering another one for bull barrel.......................

Inspector

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 05:01:01 AM »

Auwe  >:(

In my rush to order this from Amazon, I neglected to double-check the size - standard barrel vs bull barrel......

Ordering another one for bull barrel.......................
Shucks, sorry about that. At least it was not a lot of money.

I am going to be testing my Anschutz this weekend with some better ammo than my original testing. I will be testing SK Standard +, SK Rifle Match and Eley Target. Between those three I should get some good results.

esk808

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 12:20:23 PM »

Maybe see you there this weekend.

I plan to test Eley Target (yellow box), Aguila, Norma TAC-22.  The last time I took some
Norma to Kokohead, it shot the best out the ammo I was testing......

My Anschutz 64 by its build and name, should shoot better than a Kidd 10/22, but I'm finding out
that my Kidd shoots just as well................

Inspector

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 02:44:51 PM »
Maybe see you there this weekend.

I plan to test Eley Target (yellow box), Aguila, Norma TAC-22.  The last time I took some
Norma to Kokohead, it shot the best out the ammo I was testing......

My Anschutz 64 by its build and name, should shoot better than a Kidd 10/22, but I'm finding out
that my Kidd shoots just as well................
Both of my Kidd's shoot better than my Anschutz. But we'll see now that the barrel tuner seems to have an effect on my Annie. It would be nice to see if it will really shoot now the way an Anschutz should. For the price I might even put the barrel tuner on my Kidd's to see if they improve.

Some of the Lapua Ammo is the same as the SK ammo. Not sure which is which but I think I read that somewhere. Also, same as some of the Wolf ammo. Not sure but I think RWS makes Norma ammo.

Besides the SK Standard + and SK Rifle Match and Eley Target Yellow Box I am going to be bringing a selection of ammo that was available during the same period I was shooting my Anschutz to see how they compare to today's ammo. I believe I have some Remington SV and Winchester X and a box or two of some WInchester match ammo. I'll see what I have in my stash.

I will be at rifle bench #94 on Sunday from 7am until 11am. If you can make it out that early I hope to see you there. Let me know if you are going to come. Could we do a little trade? A box or two of my SK Standard + ammo for a box or two of the Norma Tac-22? I think they are both in the same price range.

rklapp

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 03:40:02 PM »
The bull is cheaper than the standard.

Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/