Ham Radio Operators (Read 16826 times)

Jaydawg

Re: Ham Radio Operators
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2014, 08:38:36 PM »
One more thought.

Your call sign will be public knowledge.  It's searchable online and your address WILL show.  It's a good idea to use a PO Box as your address if you want more privacy (being on a 2a site and all).

peregrine

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 05:32:01 PM »
nice, i have my technician license.   for a while, WH6FM from the big island had an awesome WIN System repeater set up on Oahu at 444.725MHz.  dunno where it went recently , but it was cool to talk with him and folks from all over the world on my cheapo Baofeng UV-5R.  i'm thinking of setting up my own WIN repeater

I've been looking at the Baofeng radios for emergencies. Is this the radio you would recommend? Is there a comparably cheap model that you would now selective your current one?

TheLD

Ham Radio Operators
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2014, 10:56:24 AM »
as far as communicating, i think ive had a good experience with the Baofeng UV-5R, and Its good enough that i wouldnt change it.

However, my dream radio for emergencies is the Yaesu FT1DR.  its got a lot of features that are helpful for emergencies, e.g. gps, multi channel spectrum monitoring.  costs a lot though.

But, no handheld will beat the the range of a car/mobile station.  i think the best setup is to have a handheld that can be set up with a car radio as a cross-link repeater to launch your signal a lot farther than the handheld can do on its own.

HiCarry

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2014, 05:21:38 PM »
Late to the discussion, but I have my license as well. HAM is the fall back comms for all healthcare facilities in Hawaii, and DEM uses them as well. Great skill to have and can be quite fun as well. Most HAMS are pretty helpful and welcoming, some are a bit...crusty. There are several "NETS" each week you can use for practice and networking.

TheLD

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2014, 10:08:20 PM »
Not sure how far without repeaters, never had a partner to test with.  As far as what I did, I used repeaters almost exclusively since it was kind of a gathering place for people.  I just load up the whole repeater book on the radio and scan all known repeaters.

Also, there used to be the WH6FM repeater connected to the win system.  I think that was on some sort of SSFM(?) building or something near Honolulu.  I was able to get the signal real well across salt lake, pearl city.  Although, I had problems putting a good signal into the repeater from salt lake, even with a higher gain car-mount antenna.

new guy

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2014, 03:29:57 PM »
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 02:59:03 PM by new guy »
Your mindset is your primary weapon. - Jeff Cooper

passivekinetic

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2014, 09:10:16 PM »
Have radio, but not licensed.... yet.

In the meanwhile, is there a specific channel to tune into to listen-in on Hawaii/Maui county weather conditions?

THIS.

I have a shortwave radio. What Hz to tune into if I wanna listen to HAMS or whatever talking about weather conditions at their locations?
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

mauidog

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2014, 12:45:50 AM »
Have radio, but not licensed.... yet.

In the meanwhile, is there a specific channel to tune into to listen-in on Hawaii/Maui county weather conditions?

Have you been tho this page yet?

http://www.qsl.net/ah6rh/am-radio/hawaii/scd.html
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.   -- Jeff Cooper

kala201

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2014, 08:58:01 AM »
Been down and out for a long time.  The wife and I bought our first home and I quit my job  :shaka: .  Anyways, the contractors association I belong to has been working with the Honolulu DEM.  They offer a class about being a HAM that helps with the test.  They can also administer the test.  I have become good friends with the deputy director.  If we can get a bunch of guys and a place they can send someone down to do the class and hopefully the test too.  Any takers?

new guy

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2014, 09:10:05 AM »
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 02:58:47 PM by new guy »

Jl808

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2014, 10:53:32 AM »
Count me in.
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

robtmc

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2014, 11:15:10 AM »
One more thought.

Your call sign will be public knowledge.  It's searchable online and your address WILL show.  It's a good idea to use a PO Box as your address if you want more privacy (being on a 2a site and all).

Amen.  I do not post my call sign for just this reason.

Not on ANY site, you never know, and privacy is too precious these days.

manawela

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2014, 11:08:24 PM »
I was gonna try and get one back in the 70's but back then you had to learn and be proficient at Morse code. I think you had to do 20 words a minute. Anyways, whatever it was, it wasn't that important for me to have it so I never made the effort to get good at it. I knew the code, I just wasn't fast enough or willing to work harder to get fast enough. Is it still a requirement? Knowing morse code that is.

new guy

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2014, 11:12:24 PM »
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 02:58:23 PM by new guy »

ren

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2014, 01:08:33 PM »
I'm interested in getting licensed. Any tips?
Deeds Not Words

Jl808

Ham Radio Operators
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2014, 01:46:01 PM »
First step is to get the technician's license. Next is the a General license if you want to get it too. Last is the Extra license. Each license adds to what frequency  you are allowed to operate.

To get a license, you'll need to pass a test and pay a small fee which is good for 10 years.

For most people, the Technician license is enough.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 02:10:05 PM by Jl808 »
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

ren

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2014, 02:13:11 PM »
thanks
Deeds Not Words

new guy

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2015, 07:10:08 PM »
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 02:58:05 PM by new guy »

Aiea78

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Grab em by the handles
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2015, 04:27:25 PM »
or at least study group?  I guilty of no ticket yet too.  Always get started reading the book(s) but then never finish :(    Got radio never even turned on since no idea how to program.
I did however get my CB license way back when :D   and even a GMRS license so I'm trying to be legal.

need another hobby like a hole in the head but this is a good one, so taggaging da thread for updates
Assault Rifle? What I have here is an Anti-Assault Rifle.
Proud Member 2016 2a Day Dozen open holster carry crew yo

83rdrecon

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2016, 06:12:32 AM »
KC7VHF here.  Recently moved to Oahu.  Only have a HT at the moment