Legal or Not? (Read 6681 times)

bass monkey

Legal or Not?
« on: November 26, 2017, 01:35:36 PM »
 Anyone know if it's legal to set up/ shoot archery targets at the park?
Also anyone know if the archery setup at CORPS is still open?

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Legal or Not?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 01:52:42 PM »

Which park?  The Patsy Mink/Central Oahu park in Waipio has an archery range.

https://www.olukai.com/journal/2014/11/18/archery-ranges-on-oahu/
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 02:00:45 PM »
If you go to a park & read the rules posted.  Usually under "FIREARMS", it states bow and arrow are prohibited, too.  Unless it has an archery range, I don't think it's legal to practice archery at the park.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/18807558/future-of-kapiolani-park-archery-range-uncertain
-- Melvin Udall

London808

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 05:56:44 PM »
Only 2 city parks have archery ranges,

Kokohead (at the shooting range) and Kapiolani (waikiki) However its closed because people playing tennis said that people were shooting arrows into the court

No other parks allow archery
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

2ahavvaii

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 06:20:31 PM »
yeah, shitty deal.  You'd think the waipio central park would be a good location for archery cause there's nothing behind it.
I believe the arrows going into the courts wasn't a daily incident, but I can see why it would happen with a bunch of rookie archers.  Especially if people are drawing the string up in the air, then lowering it to sight on the target.  If you accidentally slip, you're firing arrows up in the air english longbow style.  Dangerous.

I never got into archery, but below is an oldie video, but goodie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=322&v=BEG-ly9tQGk

ren

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 06:26:34 PM »
Hard to find parking now. Didn't get a chance to see the archery range if it was still open. The area behind it is chained off. When I went there there was an active ricer racing get together going on ala Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift
Deeds Not Words

zippz

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 06:30:14 PM »
(d)   Except in park areas specifically designated for such purposes, it is unlawful for any person to:
(1)   Throw, cast, roll or strike any bowling ball or golf ball;
(2)   Engage in model airplane flying;
(3)   Engage in model boat sailing;
(4)   Kindle, build or maintain any campfire;
(5)   Discharge firearms for target practice only;
(6)   Engage in archery for target practice and tournament only;
(7)   Launch model rockets.

https://www.honolulu.gov/rep/site/ocs/roh/ROH_Chapter_10.pdf
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

ren

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 06:37:56 PM »
(d)   Except in park areas specifically designated for such purposes, it is unlawful for any person to:

What?! I can't fire counter rockets to N. Korea?
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 06:53:16 PM »
Only 2 city parks have archery ranges,

Kokohead (at the shooting range) and Kapiolani (waikiki) However its closed because people playing tennis said that people were shooting arrows into the court

No other parks allow archery

Did they close the archery range at the Pasty Mink Memorial Park in Waipio?  It's been awhile sine I was there, but they had a rather large range.
-- Melvin Udall

suka

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 06:54:09 PM »
I called the city before , and basically its not legal to emit projectile within parks. However, there is a loophole to the law and the city has jurisdiction till the high tide level, beyond that the City has no jurisdiction.

Such as drinking alcohol is not legal at any park but is legal to drink at the sand bar or on the water.

ren

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 07:01:59 PM »
Such as drinking alcohol is not legal at any park but is legal to drink at the sand bar or on the water.

one of those laws that are not enforced 8)
Deeds Not Words

suka

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 07:04:18 PM »
one of those laws that are not enforced 8)

Thats because HPD has no jurisdiction beyond the high tide mark.

suka

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 07:15:09 PM »
Sec. 10-1.5 Public beaches.

(a) No person shall operate, park, or store or otherwise exert control over any unauthorized motor vehicle on any public beach with the exception of areas specifically designed to accommodate motor vehicles such as paved roads for boat launchings.
(b) For purposes of this section, the following definitions shall apply:
"Motor vehicle" means and includes automobiles, trucks, dune buggies, motorcycles, mopeds, motor scooters or any other vehicles which are mechanically propelled.
"Public beach" means and includes all beach areas owned or controlled by city, State of Hawaii or United States of America seaward of the highest wash of the waves as evidenced by the line of vegetation.

sethaddison

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 07:41:09 PM »

Interesting, they have a class for archery at the park on Renton road(old mill) in Ewa. My daughter took it for summer fun years ago. We just saw kids practicing there the other day and my daughter noted how they were facing the road because of football practice, and I heard from the back seat her sarcastic pidgeon "Ho Cuz,  you need to know what lies beyond your target... Sorry Uncle about your car"(They were facing Kapolei Parkway).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

London808

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2017, 07:45:24 PM »
Interesting, they have a class for archery at the park on Renton road(old mill) in Ewa. My daughter took it for summer fun years ago. We just saw kids practicing there the other day and my daughter noted how they were facing the road because of football practice, and I heard from the back seat her sarcastic pidgeon "Ho Cuz,  you need to know what lies beyond your target... Sorry Uncle about your car"(They were facing Kapolei Parkway).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Certain parks have a program that has an exception permit (issued by the park director) to have archery. The city has a training course for the directors and forms to fill out for parents. They all have a tournament every park session (3 times a year i believe)
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

bass monkey

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2017, 12:27:01 PM »
I checked out CORPS,  their range is still open.
It's a nice casual range.
Not a lot of targets,  but stations from 10-80 yards. 
You just show up and run what you brung
Seems like a lot of regulars always go. 

Between this range and the Kapolei archery range it's close enough and enough sunlight that I won't need to mess around with shooting in the park.

Thanks for all the tips.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2017, 12:36:53 PM »
I checked out CORPS,  their range is still open.
It's a nice casual range.
Not a lot of targets,  but stations from 10-80 yards. 
You just show up and run what you brung
Seems like a lot of regulars always go. 

Between this range and the Kapolei archery range it's close enough and enough sunlight that I won't need to mess around with shooting in the park.

Thanks for all the tips.

I'm glad you finally got the right answer about CORP.  It's obvious from this thread the information on what C&C posts is wrong, old and/or incomplete.  And what some people believe is the right answer needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Trust, but verify.   :thumbsup:
-- Melvin Udall