Poll

do you have a ccw permit? (if you have more than 1 state, you can vote more than once)

no
yes, hawaii
yes, california
yes, washington
yes, utah
yes, arizona
yes, florida
yes, other

do you have a ccw permit? (Read 28371 times)

RSN172

Re: do you have a ccw permit?
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2016, 11:15:10 AM »
Taking the course at Front Sight and applying for the permit at the Sheriffs Office in Pahrump will get you the permit much faster.  There was only one person in line, another FS student, when I applied and I got it in the mail 17 days later.  Both my AZ and UT permits only took about five weeks.

Keep in mind NV requires the application be submitted in the county you took the class in, unless a NV resident, then you need to apply in the county you live in.  Also the FS CCW course will take 3 days.  Some of the other courses offered elsewhere can be completed in one day.

zippz

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2016, 02:59:29 PM »
Got my Utah CCW in the mail today after about 5 weeks.  Now I can take my trip to Utah to become a Utah CCW instructor in January.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

MauiLeatherwork

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2016, 10:35:07 PM »
Non-resident Virginia. I applied through the mail. Had to pay for old-school paper & ink prints at my local PD. They asked if it was for a law enforcement job. I laughed. Guess they truly don't see the ink roll often anymore. Would love to take a course and apply in another state like WA or Utah next time I'm on the mainland, but it's not often that I travel there.

RSN172

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2017, 09:46:47 AM »
My daughter, who lives in Vegas, just qualified for her CWP.  The first time she shot a handgun was at my house on the BI, my Glock 19, this past June.  The 2nd time she shot a handgun was at the CWP class.  She said she did better than some of the guys, lol.  She had to submit her application in Clark County, so she will probably get it in a 100 days or so.  She is thinking of getting a Sig in 9MM.  Below is the photo of her qualification target.

midnitebacon

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2017, 10:08:36 AM »
Anyone with a AZ non resident permit know if the HI hunter's edu card is good for the training requirements? I submitted a NY hunter's edu card which had had a live fire portion but it wasn't accepted. AZ sent the application back to me saying they stop taking the NY hunter's ed card in 2012.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

London808

« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2017, 10:14:37 AM »
Anyone with a AZ non resident permit know if the HI hunter's edu card is good for the training requirements? I submitted a NY hunter's edu card which had had a live fire portion but it wasn't accepted. AZ sent the application back to me saying they stop taking the NY hunter's ed card in 2012.

could always make a phone call and ask.
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2017, 01:34:05 PM »

I sent the AZ CCW division an email.

Re: Azdps.gov General Inquiry
CCWMail <CCW@AZDPS.GOV>
Wednesday, March 1, 2017 at 12:19 PM
To:  Me

Yes, the Hawaii Hunter's Education certificate is acceptable as proof of firearm training.

Sent: Wednesday, March 1, 2017 14:12
To: CCWMail
Subject: Azdps.gov General Inquiry

The following general inquiry has been submitted via azdps.gov.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DATE / TIME               : 3/1/2017 2:12:34 PM
SECTION / SUBJECT         : Concealed Weapons & Permits
SOURCE                    : http://www.azdps.gov/services/concealed_weapons/
Concealed Weapons & Permits - Arizona Department of Public ...
www.azdps.gov
Arizona Concealed Weapons and Permits services home page. Here you can find all the relevant information pertaining to concealed weapons within the state of Arizona.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAME                             : Me
E-MAIL ADDRESS            : My Address
PHONE NUMBER              : My Phone#
COMMENTS                  : ---below---

I would like to know of the Hawaii Hunter's Education  certificate is accepted as proper firearm competence training when applying for an AZ non-resident CCW permit. 

The course is provided by the state's Department of Land and Natural Resources.  Here is their information.

http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/huntered/
Hunter Education Program
dlnr.hawaii.gov
For Class Registration. 1-800-353-4868. Island of Hawaii residents (808) 887-6050 Hawaii Hunter Education Program 1130 N. Nimitz Hwy. A-212 Honolulu, HI 96817-4580

Thank you.

TECHNICAL DATA
IP ADDRESS                : 76.173.xx.xx
BROWSER DETAILS           : Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.12; rv:51.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/51.0

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

midnitebacon

« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2017, 02:21:12 PM »
I sent the AZ CCW division an email.

Re: Azdps.gov General Inquiry
CCWMail <CCW@AZDPS.GOV>
Wednesday, March 1, 2017 at 12:19 PM
To:  Me

Yes, the Hawaii Hunter's Education certificate is acceptable as proof of firearm training.

Sent: Wednesday, March 1, 2017 14:12
To: CCWMail
Subject: Azdps.gov General Inquiry

The following general inquiry has been submitted via azdps.gov.

DATE / TIME               : 3/1/2017 2:12:34 PM
SECTION / SUBJECT         : Concealed Weapons & Permits
SOURCE                    : http://www.azdps.gov/services/concealed_weapons/
Concealed Weapons & Permits - Arizona Department of Public ...
www.azdps.gov
Arizona Concealed Weapons and Permits services home page. Here you can find all the relevant information pertaining to concealed weapons within the state of Arizona.

NAME                             : Me
E-MAIL ADDRESS            : My Address
PHONE NUMBER              : My Phone#
COMMENTS                  : ---below---

I would like to know of the Hawaii Hunter's Education  certificate is accepted as proper firearm competence training when applying for an AZ non-resident CCW permit. 

The course is provided by the state's Department of Land and Natural Resources.  Here is their information.

http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/huntered/
Hunter Education Program
dlnr.hawaii.gov
For Class Registration. 1-800-353-4868. Island of Hawaii residents (808) 887-6050 Hawaii Hunter Education Program 1130 N. Nimitz Hwy. A-212 Honolulu, HI 96817-4580

Thank you.

TECHNICAL DATA
IP ADDRESS                : 76.173.xx.xx
BROWSER DETAILS           : Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.12; rv:51.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/51.0
Good to know. Thank you.

MauiLeatherwork

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2017, 06:36:54 PM »
After getting my non-resident VA permit, our local gun shop offered Utah non-resident classes. Just wanted to tell all of you about it. Maui's shop called Central Maui Guns & Ammo is offering the Utah class. It was $150 for a 4 hour class (Satuday 8-Noon).  Fingerprinting included. Google the shop and call or email them if you want to attend their next course.  It would be a lot cheaper to fly inter-island than all the way to the mainland.

changemyoil66

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2017, 10:08:43 AM »
My daughter, who lives in Vegas, just qualified for her CWP.  The first time she shot a handgun was at my house on the BI, my Glock 19, this past June.  The 2nd time she shot a handgun was at the CWP class.  She said she did better than some of the guys, lol.  She had to submit her application in Clark County, so she will probably get it in a 100 days or so.  She is thinking of getting a Sig in 9MM.  Below is the photo of her qualification target.

Mine took 90 days.  I know some other guys who it took 5-6 months.  What's good is that the CCW is good for the entire state of Nevada and not just by county anymore.  They changed this a few years ago.  Also they have no firearm registration.  So good for her!!!

Make sure she considers the EDC as part of what gun she wants to buy.  Like where will she carry it (purse, appendix, hip, back, etc...)

zippz

« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2017, 12:03:32 PM »
I still recommend taking a CCW course even if you can apply for a permit.  There are other important things to learn  like drawing from concealment, use of force, what to do when police arrive, tactics, etc.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

changemyoil66

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2017, 12:30:30 PM »
I still recommend taking a CCW course even if you can apply for a permit.  There are other important things to learn  like drawing from concealment, use of force, what to do when police arrive, tactics, etc.

^^^This. Which is why next trip i'm going to look at more training.  Because it would be state specific.  The 1 thing my instructor stressed was to keep your mouth shut.  Tell PD
"I want to cooperate, but after I speak to an attorney".

Bushido

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2017, 08:25:29 PM »

100% agree. Going with the cheapest, easiest route to aquire a CCW permit is not the best way. Your life and your loved ones are at stake.

RSN172

« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2017, 07:51:31 AM »
NV requires you take a CCW course which covers NV law and 30 rounds qualification test.  When I took the course at FS, one guy barely passed the shooting test. (Wasn't me, LOL)

RSN172

« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2017, 09:00:18 AM »

Make sure she considers the EDC as part of what gun she wants to buy.  Like where will she carry it (purse, appendix, hip, back, etc...)

I will be in Vegas next week for the ConExpo and will go look at some handguns with her.  I am going to encourage her to carry on her person instead of off body carry.  If she does decide to purse carry, then she will need to look for a CC purse.  I carry a Glock 19, but may get a 26, as the 19 is about 3/4 of an inch too big in length and height to really conceal well.  I would then carry two standard capacity 19 mags as spares for the 26, giving me a total of 40 rounds.

changemyoil66

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2017, 01:20:36 PM »
I will be in Vegas next week for the ConExpo and will go look at some handguns with her.  I am going to encourage her to carry on her person instead of off body carry.  If she does decide to purse carry, then she will need to look for a CC purse.  I carry a Glock 19, but may get a 26, as the 19 is about 3/4 of an inch too big in length and height to really conceal well.  I would then carry two standard capacity 19 mags as spares for the 26, giving me a total of 40 rounds.

Have her shoot them before buying.  Battlefield LV has a good selection of handguns or any indoor range actually.  Or you can call each range to see if they have specifically what she wants.  Sounds like a super fun day!!!  If you bring ammo home, I went to Ventura Munitions and got some cheap Wolf ammo.  20 cents a round.  He even had a scale to make sure I was under 11lbs.  I think he was the owner, native american guy with a pony tail.

I found that with my wife, if I let her choose, she will be more into it and positive, vs. me telling her what to shoot.  She's currently building her own AR.

RSN172

« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2017, 02:30:32 PM »
Thanks for the tips.  Sounds like a good idea to have her shoot the guns first. I probably won't buy any ammo if I get some reactive steel targets.  I would be running out of my allowable baggage weight.

MauiLeatherwork

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2017, 07:25:10 PM »
Along the lines of what to do/say how to train etc. I highly recommend www.armedcitizensnetwork.org

This is a legal fund you pay dues into, not "insurance" such as USCCA.  Massad Ayoob group recommended it so I checked it out. I paid my annual dues in advance of a road trip where I will carry.

I must say their 8 training videos all over 1 hr each are worth the cost of the membership.  Take a look at their website and if it's confusing, click on their comparison page where they compare and contrast the difference between the defense fund and insurance.  Renewal year is cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surfsker

« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2017, 10:00:50 PM »

Got the AZ permit myself. They accepted my Hawaii Hunters Ed info just make sure you get your prints done privately as HPD won't do it. Go figure. Took 1 month exact from mailing everything out to getting the permit in the mail. Good for 5 years.